The "regular thing that we do" resumes. Here is another mixtape, this one featuring some rarities from A Palace In The Sun [how I love those old Creation comps, and how they remind me of Spring / Summer] as well as some new stuff I like and some other journeys into memory. Oh, yes, and the typical "radio magic" as I call it, in a couple of places.
Anyway--earlier in the day a new acquaintance of mine--I don't want to presume--made a reference to that Ithaca record near the end of the setlist. And, on account of my correspondence with this person, I believe I have finally made a breakthrough. I keep alluding to the unspoken, indefinable "mission" of this program, or more generally, my involvement with WRFI. I will now take a stab at articulating it. IT IS TO CONNECT WITH MY UNBROKEN YOUNGER SELF. Not to "be" that person or to relive anything, but to exist as if that person hadn't disappeared somewhere. That's it, basically. It explains so much.
Seriously, I actually teared up when I figured this out this morning. I called Lady Catharsis to share my discovery, only to have her say that she knew it already. "And you didn't tell me?" I asked. Spouses: they will baffle you.
ANYWAY. I have my new "friend" [alright, I will presume] to thank for catalyzing this. And more soon. I have said it before, but it bears repeating: the best part of this venture--better than accumulating mixtape after mixtape--has been the human contact. Who would ever have thought?
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 May 21, 2100-2300:
- "Unbelievable Things" | Superchunk | Indoor Living | Merge
- "Euporie" | Causa Sui | Live at Freak Valley | El Paraiso
- "Room" | Family Fodder | Schizophrenia Party (The Director's Cut) | Staubgold
- "Monkey Beat" | Manu Dibango | Africadelic | Aurora
- "Beneath the Blade" / "Inspiration" | Section 25 | From the Hip | Factory Benelux
- "Lovers" | The Love Corporation | A Palace In The Sun | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "Blast Off!" | The Jimmie Haskell Orchestra | Music From Planet Earth | Stag-O-Lee
- "Pow Dub" | Lee "Scratch" Perry | Back On The Controls | Rolling Lion - Upsetter
- "Don't Ask Why" | My Bloody Valentine | Glider | Creation - Sire
- "Director Of (A Capella)" | Ron Morelli | Periscope Blues | Hospital Productions
- "Infophysix" | Dopplereffekt | Elaste Volume 4 | Compost
- "You Sexy Thing" | Hot Chocolate | You Sexy Thing | Big Tree | "Listening Parlour"
- "Howl" | Loops Haunt | Exits | Black Acre
- "Dreambeam" | Hypnotone | A Palace In The Sun | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "Good Things End" | The Field | From Here We Go Sublime | Kompakt
- "Freefall" | Something Pretty Beautiful | A Palace In The Sun | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "Mechanics" | Silo | Work | Novennial Paralysis
- "Strange Train" | Dog Chocolate | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "Whatever It Is" | Sven Weisemann | Whatever It Is | JAB
- "You Sexy Thing" | Cud | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit
- "Knocked Out Joint On Mars" | Buck Trail | Music From Planet Earth | Stag-O-Lee
- "All My Life" | Ithaca | A Game For All Who Know | Acme
- "Dark Melt" | Simon Turner | A Palace In The Sun | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
next time: FFS. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Share | Download(Loading)