[UPDATE, 2014 May 31: Audio file has been restored.]
Here is the second hour of the first broadcast on WRFI, 21 Nov 2012, 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. We start things off with our inaugural visit to the "Listening Parlour" with Lady Catharsis, which is sure to be the most liked thing we do on the show.
For technical details, please read the notes to Part 1 below.
BOMBAST Playlist, 2012 Nov 21, 9 p.m.-10 p.m.
- The Knitters: "Poor Little Critter on the Road" [Slash / Rhino] ***"Listening Parlour"
- Uncle Tupelo: "Sauget Wind" [Dutch East India Trading]
- Clear Horizon: "For Days" [Kranky]
- Futureheads: "First Day" [Sire]
- The Dub Syndicate: "Je T'aime" [On-U Sound]
- The Inflatable Sideshow: "Bone Frequency" [Chalice]
- Coil: "First Dark Ride" [Threshold House]
- Konono No. 1: "Paradiso" [Crammed Discs]
- Suns of Arqa: "Snelson's Last Stand" [Arka Sound / EMI]
- People Like Us: "Guide to Broadcasting" / "Smash and Grab" [Mess Media]
- U Roy: "Wear You to the Ball" [Virgin / Frontline]
- The Fall: "Over! Over!" [Slogan]
[UPDATE 2014 May 31: Audio file has been restored.]
Here is part 1 of our hastily assembled first broadcast. I literally had 2 hours between finding out I was actually doing a show that night and the time I had to be at the radio station. I actually think that some of the segues turned out better than those in the second show a week later! It was ever thus, but that's another story for another day. Lots of "ums" in the voiceovers, too. It's been 20 years, holmes. That too is another discussion for later.
Technical notes--I'll try to create a "category" for blanket explanations like this--the digital recorder at our station, or more likely the flash card contained therein, is/was for some reason formatted to chop files into 5-minute segments, which, let me tell you, is not irritating at all. Nor is the fact that each segment is actually missing about 0.036 seconds of information [or, as we luddites like to call it, "content"]. These gaps aren't noticeable in speech, and plenty of times they aren't noticeable in music either, but they are present. If, from time to time [near multiples of 5 mins.] over the course of these early podcasts, you notice a drumbeat coming a split-second early, that's why. The two hours of the Nov. 21 show will be like this, as will the two hours of the Nov. 28 show. Sorry. I've purchased a proper digital recorder now, so hopefully starting with the Dec. 5 show you will be treated to all the perfection that a 128kbps mp3 stream promises. "Better Must Come."
The following playlist is formatted like this: Artist: "Song Title" [Music Label]
BOMBAST Playlist, 2012 Nov. 21, 8-9 p.m.
- PJ Harvey: "Wang Dang Doodle" [BBC / Island]
- Unrest: "God Gave Rock and Roll to Us" [Dutch East India Trading]
- Barry Adamson: "Je t'aime" [Mute]
- I Roy: "War and Friction" [Blood and Fire]
- July Skies: "Coastal Stations" [Rocket Girl]
- Peter Christopherson: "In My Head a Crystal Sphere of Heavy Fluid" [Chalice]
- The Dirtbombs: "Cosmic Car" [In the Red]
- Gwei-Lo: "Don't Try [Hank]" [Bella Union / Instinct]
- Dr. Alimantado: "Chant to Jah" [Blood and Fire]
- Adam Johnson: "Malk" [Merck]
- The Durutti Column: "Better Must Come" [Artful]
enjoy! And welcome aboard the Bombastic voyage.
Hour 2 anon.