Another weekday, another program: here's something else I did, seemingly long ago. On this night I was clearly getting some stuff out of my system; it felt good at the time, and still does, I daresay. This mixtape ripples with anger, but perhaps you will get a different impression (or, if you share mine, will find it useful at least some of the time).
Diary: lately I've been reading Memoirs of a Geezer by Jah Wobble. I have to admit that I am an unfocused reader these days; I'm unfocused about a lot of things. Something that struck me was one really brief conversation the author had with a friend in which he (re)affirmed his life's purpose. If only it were that easy! I could use that conversation, or that friend, right about now. I have been certain for a while that my "purpose" is not volunteer disc jockeying or any of the behind-the-scenes stuff I do. So all of this is just biding my time. Has if felt that way to you? And biding it for what, I wonder?
BOMBAST PLAYLIST, 2015 August 25, 2100-2300:
- "We Shall Cleanse the World" | Revolting Cocks | Big Sexy Land | Wax Trax!
- "Lurker" | Meat Beat Manifesto | Kasm02 | Kasm
- "Slices of Brain I" | Folamour | Chapeau Rouge | Fauxpas
- "Practicing To Be a Doctor" | Shit and Shine | Jealous of Shit and Shine | Riot Season
- "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" | Barry Adamson | Moss Side Story | Mute
- "God Made the Virus" | McCarthy | I Am a Wallet | Cherry Red
- "To Love You Blossom" | July Skies | Dreaming of Spires | Rocket Girl
- "Should I Leave You Alone?" | Rat Columns | Fooling Around | Blackest Ever Black
- "Inbalance 16" | Best Available Technology | Excavated Tapes, 1992-1999, Vol. 2 | Astro:Dynamics
- "Down Down Down (Liminals Remix)" | The Radio Dept. | Occupied | Labrador
- "A Side" | El Mahdy Jr. | Ghost Tapes | Discrepant
- "Tom Violence" | Sonic Youth | EVOL | Goofin'
- "A Ground Without A Figure" | Shuttle358 | Can you prove I was born | 12k
- "Sound of Confusion" | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Thank God for Mental Illness | A Recordings
- "50 degrees" | Crypto Tropic | Crypto Tropic | Le Cabanon
all the good guys, they drink milk
Hello again, it's me again. If you are a visitor to this site only, and don't listen live, it's been a while since you've seen or heard anything new from this program. Apologies--it's been a wild, sordid, depressing summer, as they all seem to be. In my defense, I have been doing lots of radio all the while, and you could listen live, you know.
At any rate here is a program that features one of my favorite records. Different for Domeheads was not the first Creation comp I encountered, but as Horatio would say, "it follow'd hard upon." I tend not to do well with playing records at the "appropriate" time of year but for me this will always be a summer record. "July skies" indeed, sun and anger as relentless as Slaughter Joe. This is what the last couple of months have been.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 August 19, 2100-2300:
- "Intro / Into You" | The Jean-Paul Sartre Experience | I Like Rain: The Story of the Jean-Paul Sartre Experience | Fire
- "19.8.86" | Conrad Schnitzler | Kollektion 05 (Compiled and Assembled by Thomas Fehlmann) | Bureau B
- "To the Moon and Back" | The 23s | Flamingo | Karaoke Kalk
- "Steam" | Gaspard de la Montaigne | Stallion | Creaked
- "Intensive Care" | Barry Adamson | Moss Side Story | Mute
- "Where the Traffic Goes" | The Jasmine Minks | Different for Domeheads | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Fatal Day (Brixton Rehearsal 1980)" | In Camera | Era | 4AD
- "Heart of Darkness" | Pere Ubu | Elitism for the People 1975-1978 | Fire
- "Paradise" | The Bodines | Different for Domeheads | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "Marilyn Moore" | Sonic Youth | EVOL | Goofin'
- "Digital Punk" | Square Wave | Correspondant Compilation 03 | Correspondant
- "Baby Honey" | The Pastels | Different for Domeheads | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "We Just Did What Happened and Nobody Came" | Sweet Billy Pilgrim | Motorcade Amnesiacs | Kscope
- "Unrequited" | OKADA | Impermanence | N5MD
- "Hermitage - Full Beard Mix" | Thomalla | Imaginary Solutions | Riotvan
- "Napalm Girl" | Slaughter Joe | Different for Domeheads | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "Herbststimmung" | Faust | Kollektion 04 - Bureau B (Compiled by Richard Fearless) | Bureau B
- "Peri-Natal Imprinting" | The Host | Esalen Lectures | Touch Sensitive
- "Circa 96" | Hidden Rivers | Where Moss Grows | Serein
- "Ghost Warrior (feat. UMO)" | Jimi Tenor | Ghost Warrior | Herakles
- "Rally Round Jah Throne" | Bad Brains | Rock for Light | PVC
- "Ruins - Fieldhand Remix" | Graveyard Tapes | I'm on Fire (White Rooms Remixes) | Lost Tribe
- "One of Five" | Tapage | Five & Six | Tympanik
- "Love and Hate" | Biff Bang Pow! | Different for Domeheads | Creation | "Physical Evidence"
- "Garden Constellations" | July Skies | Dreaming of Spires | Rocket Girl
practicing to be.
This was a night on which we sat in for "Seeking a Thread." The program bristles with unintentional comedy as I get things stuck in my throat and have to pronounce a battery of things beyond my capability. Oh, and there is also The Birthday Party. I am one of those people who never quite "matured" into thinking that Nick Cave "solo" was a better thing, though I enjoy his records well enough. I really miss this band, right here.
I don't remember the nature of the "many nagging complaints" to which I refer, thankfully. The thought of searching my email in search of a mildly sardonic joke scares me. Ah, sweet oblivion!
Ah, on second thought, I probably deserved whatever complaints came my way.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 August 16, 2100-2300:
- "Nature" | Valet | Nature | kranky
- "Laid Black" | Tiefschwarz | Left | Watergate
- "Ding Dong Thing" | Felix Laband | Deaf Safari | Compost
- "Release the Bats" | The Birthday Party | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Soul" | Rival Consoles | Odyssey / Sonne | Erased Tapes
- "I Know You Can" | Leafcutter John | Resurrection | Desire Path
- "Rowland Around in That Stuff" | The Birthday Party | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Loose" | Stooges | Fun House | Elektra
- "Monkey Snake" | Birdstriking | Birdstriking | A Recordings
- "The Bed's Too Big Without You (The Bed's Too Big Without Dub)" | DubXanne | The Police in Dub | Echo Beach
- "Gravure / Continuum - Regis Whip Hand Mix" | Akkord | HTH040 | Houndstooth
- "Loose" | The Birthday Party | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Jah The Conqueror" | Bad Brains | Live At CBGB 1982 | MVD Audio
- "Aixo Es Miel" | Jose Padilla | So Many Colours | International Feel
- "Anda" | Nymphalida | Loghi | Tranquillo
- "Thangen After Dothe" | Petrels | Flailing Tomb | Denovali
- "Something and Nothing" | The Wedding Present | George Best [reissue] | Edsel
- "Negative Space" | ASC | Imagine the Future | Samurai
- "One (Lake People Remix)" | Lee Burton | Busy Day For Fools - Lake People Remixes | Klik
- "Forglemmigej" | Rosen & Spyddet | Fortuna | Posh Isolation
- "(Sometimes) Pleasure Heads Must Burn" | The Birthday Party | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Desert - Juju & Jordash Remix" | Mahk & Morpheus | Desert | Souvenir
- "Appalachia" | Cale Parks | Lagoon Fool | HAKT
- "It's So Hard" | The Jesus and Mary Chain | Psychocandy - Barrowlands Live | Edsel
there's no turning back