Lately I have been thinking a good deal about negativity--what its uses might be, what it says about the bearer, what it does to the soul. Depression has such a strong hold on me these days! But this is somewhat true of all days, my dear Bombasticons. Sometimes I even doubt that this program nourishes me, though I can't imagine life without it. And I might have to--a "little bird" tells me that our recent fundraiser generated some 20% of the station's annual budget. Should I rue the missing 80% or take delight that people love us enough to give what they gave? Should I borrow future grief over programs that won't air or should I be grateful that I have done nearly 400 of these?
Musical notes: that Durutti record, though legendary, arrived in awful shape for a new record--so much for ambivalence about negativity! But seriously, what is wrong with vinyl these days? I have had a couple of similar experiences recently. Segues--who gives a toss? In this program they are fairly bad, and hopefully the songs compensate for that.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 November 15, 2100-2300:
- "Slam Dunk in a Black Hole" | The Comet Is Coming | Channel The Spirits | Leaf
- "Bad Blood" | Emperor | Critical Music Presents: 15 Years of Underground Sonics | Critical Music
- "Florence Sunset" | The Durutti Column | Greetings Three | Tiger Bay | "Physical Evidence"
- "Passenger" | El Mahdy Jr. (feat. Hamorabi 13th imam) | Time to Sell the Golden Teeth | Boomarm Nation
- "Nowhere" | Lone Taxidermist | Trifle | Memetune
- "He's Royal" | ATKI2 | Tribute to Disc Shop Zero | Idle Hands
- "Deep Think, Straight Talk" | Arthur Miles | Night Flight | All My Thoughts
- "Voices" | Indian Wells | Where the World Ends | Friends of Friends
- "For Friends in Italy" | The Durutti Column | Greetings Three | Tiger Bay | "Physical Evidence"
- "Boy with a Gun" | The Names | German Nights | Factory Benelux
- "octobre" | exm | Modulus | Touched
- "A Lot Of Wind" | The Fall | The Fontana Years | UMC / Fontana
- "Meng" | Iona Fortune | Tao Of I | Optimo
- "State of Presence" | Pional | Permanent Vacation X (10 Years Label Anniversary) | Permanent Vacation
- "Jigsaw" | My Nu Leng & Friction | Portal EP | Shogun
- "Mechta" | DJ Heure | Mechta | Distant Hawaii
- "I'm Drifting" | Mystic Eyes | Mysterious | Burning Sounds
- "All That Love and Maths Can Do" | The Durutti Column | Greetings Three | Tiger Bay | "Physical Evidence"
- "Nescience Is Not Ignorance" | Sim Hutchins | Vantablank Stare EP | UIQ
- "Yellow Coat" | Screamin' Jay Hawkins | At Home with Screamin' Jay Hawkins | Cornbread
- "Souviens-toi (feat. Hasawa)" | Labelle | univers-ile | Infine
- "This Is Dissent" | Nordra | Nordra | Sige
- "San Giovanni Dawn" | The Durutti Column | Greetings Three | Tiger Bay | "Physical Evidence"
- "Tuesday Paris Texas" | Superpitcher | The Golden Ravedays 8 | Hippie Dance
cinematic party music
If fundraising programs mark the beginning of a programming year, may I welcome you to the first "normal" program of the new year. Our form was mostly good on this night, save for playing the wrong Vic Chesnutt track. We are at the point in our lives where we realize we are simply never going to improve at certain things. If only this realization came with a feeling of calm!.
In hindsight, this night was an observance, though no appropriate planning went into it. Some years ago, November 8 marked the final night of a previous life. You might call it "another brown world!" Anyway, that's gone. What remains is the shallow-affect person who runs this corner of the broadcasting world. At least he has decent taste.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 November 8, 2100-2300:
- "Intro" | Mars89 | Lucid Dream EP | Bokeh Versions
- "Little Fugue" | Vic Chesnutt | West of Rome | New West | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Mermaid (pусалка)" | Kedr Livanskiy | Ariadna | 2MR
- "Shadowplay" | Joy Division | Silhouettes & Statues - A Gothic Revolution 1978-1986 | Cherry Red
- "Another Brown World" | Coil | Another Brown World / Baby Food | Sub Rosa | "Physical Evidence"
- "OBAFGKM" | MIS+RESS | S/T | Somewherecold
- "Cascades" | Indian Wells | Where the World Ends | Friends of Friends
- "Swerve" | Phace / Mefjus | Wastemen | Neosignal
- "Fluid Mechanics" | Reso | Kodama | RX0
- "TM" | Nosaj Thing | Parallels | Innovative Leisure
- "Rock Hopper" | Whiney | Talisman | ed School Music
- "Sing! Harpy" | The Fall | The Fontana Years | UMC / Fontana
- "Q Bird" | Pyrit | UFO | Bookmaker
- "Reflections" | Diagnos | Diagnos | Control Freak Kitten
- "Unnatural Instinct" | Belief Defect | Decadent yet Depraved | Raster Noton
- "Deserts" | zeta | Bird | Blank Editions
- "Baby Food" | Coil | Another Brown World / Baby Food | Sub Rosa | "Physical Evidence"
- "Brother, You're Complicated" | Robert Sotelo | Cusp | Upset the Rhythm
- "Canções do Vento Sul" | Stereociti | Reflexions | Groovement
- "Platforms - Empty Version" | Fatima Yamaha | Dekmantel 10 Years 05 | Dekmantel
- "Precision & Decay" | Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | The Punishment of Luxury | 100%
- "The Wonderman" | Oscar Holgado | Citadel | Soiree
- "Zulu Blues" | Pugilist & Mystik | Zulu Blues | Navy Cut
- "Sublingual" | Antwood | Sponsored Content | Planet Mu
- "Newwave Project" | Kuniyuki | Newwave Project | Mule Musiq
Welcome to Festival of Evidence v4.0! It has been two years since we did this--my time slot during last year's fundraiser coincided with an awful presidential debate (if that is not a redundancy)--and it is definitely worth the wait. The entire Bombast crew is here, with fundraising specialist Godfrey on "the other side of the partition," and a good time is had by all. We even managed to make some money on this night.
Notes: it still embarrasses me, two and a half weeks later, that I accidentally played Siouxsie twice. I did manage to explain "Milkshake Duck" to Godfrey but we have not gotten around to explaining "family values" or "Stranger Things" to Junior, which is probably for the best. I may have gotten my recollection of John Peel's death wrong in my tiresome anecdote. That would not surprise me at all. I don't remember who was actually on the air the night he died. I should really stop telling stories, or at least make some new ones.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 November 1, 2100-2300:
- "Gamaleh" | Banco de Gaia | Planet Dog - Peel Your Head: The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit
- "Think Jazz, Think Punk Attitude" | Nurse With Wound | Foxtrot | Chalice
- "Enola Gay" | Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | URGH! A Music War | A & M
- "Olof Palme" | The Jazz Butcher | Big Questions | Glass
- "Voulez Vous" | Ham | Buffalo Virgin | One Little Indian
- "Bad Reputation" | Joan Jett | URGH! A Music War | A & M
- "Dopes to Infinity" | Monster Magnet | Volume 14 - Reading '95 Special | Volume
- "Beyond and Back" | X | URGH! A Music War | A & M
- "The Snow" | Coil | Love's Secret Domain | Threshold House
- "Polyacid Blue" | Cassegrain & Tin Man | Infrastructure Facticity | Infrastructure New York
- "Dark Parade 1 (Demo)" | The Comsat Angels | Sleep No More | Edsel
- "Tear It Up" | The Cramps | URGH! A Music War | A & M
- "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" | Thee Milkshakes | Still Talking 'Bout...Milkshakes! | Vinyl Japan
- "Overground" | Siouxsie And The Banshees | Voices On The Air (The Peel Sessions) | Polydor
- "Down in the Park" | Gary Numan | URGH! A Music War | A & M
- "Do the Du" | A Certain Ratio | The Old & The New | Factory
- "Metal Postcard" | Siouxsie And The Banshees | Voices On The Air (The Peel Sessions) | Polydor
- "The Colour Hurts" | Curve | Radio Sessions | Anxious
- "Come Again" | Au Pairs | URGH! A Music War | A & M
- "Another Journey" | O Yuki Conjugate | Nightlands | Final Image
for their own ends