I am beginning to think 2018 might not be a good year for this program. You have heard, no doubt, of "women laughing alone with salad." Consider this modification--me, crying alonne with my mixtape--and you begin to get a picture of how I have experienced this particular broadcast. It is not for the faint of heart, to begin with--it is a dark, dubby, moody two hours, but then I am such a person and these are such times. The segues are incomprehensible, which means either that Trench Town Dub is the greatest record of all time or I've completely lost it. I'll let you decide!
Note: I speculate that the recordings on this "physical evidence" record were done prior to its release date of 1989. Well, no duh--what I meant was "significantly earlier," but I may have even been wrong about that. If I'm not mistaken, I hear a gated drum sound on at least one of these tracks, so maybe this is mid-to-late 80s stuff. Yes, I listen carefully even when I am annoyed at what I do.
At least my cold is gone. The dulcet tones are back, baby!
BOMBAST playlist, 2018 January 10, 2100-2300:
- "Space Movement Section 2" | Creation Rebel | Starship Africa [reissue] | On-U Sound
- "Sakouro Dub" | Sly & The Revolutionaries | Trench Town Dub | Original Music | "Physical Evidence"
- "Caju" | Fia Fiell | Domestic Documents Vol 2 | Domestic Documents
- "Lost and Blind" | Null+Void | Cryosleep | HFN
- "Fresh Fruit" | Roman Nails | Domestic Documents Vol 2 | Domestic Documents
- "Streetwise Dub" | Sly & The Revolutionaries | Trench Town Dub | Original Music | "Physical Evidence"
- "Beachy Head" | Throbbing Gristle | 20 Jazz Funk Greats [reissue] | Mute
- "Unity of Opposites" | Miris | Domestic Documents Vol 2 | Domestic Documents
- "Hustler Dub" | Sly & The Revolutionaries | Trench Town Dub | Original Music | "Physical Evidence"
- "Second Mistake" | Ayya | Mono No Aware | PAN
- "Up the Path and in My Door" | Herb Henson | The Other Side of Bakersfield | Bear Family | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Mountainside" | Deradoorian | Eternal Recurrence | Anticon
- "East Tower Stairwell Gathering - Alternative Mix" | Howlround | Lessons | Front and Follow
- "Gu" | Necro Deathmort | Overland | Profound Lore
- "It Could Be Now - Interlude" | FD | Alone with Everybody | The North Quarter
- "The Absolute Territory" | MIS+RESS | S/T | Somewherecold
- "Crossing" | Sova Stroj | Refugium | Testtoon
- "Comprehensive Dub" | Sly & The Revolutionaries | Trench Town Dub | Original Music | "Physical Evidence"
- "Motif Of A Fish" | Ewan Jansen | Domestic Documents Vol 2 | Domestic Documents
- "In The Dust Of This Planet" | K-Lone | In The Dust EP | Soundman Chronicles
- "Wolves" | London Modular Alliance | Wolves EP | Hypercolour
- "Untitled" | Sly & The Revolutionaries | Trench Town Dub | Original Music | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Seams of Goodwill - Original Quincux Version" | IX Tab | Lessons | Front and Follow
- "Black Shore" | Kangaroo Skull | Domestic Documents Vol 2 | Domestic Documents
- "Jungle Man Dub" | Sly & The Revolutionaries | Trench Town Dub | Original Music | "Physical Evidence"
- "Structures and Behavior (Group Dynamics)" | The Mayhem Lecture Series | Structures and Behavior | Arctic Dub (Sursumcorda)
there's a club if you'd like to go
Please find attached the first Bombast program of 2018, and I must say it is an inauspicious start. "My voice is shot," as I say toward the end of the program when I am giving up on backannouncing, and that's no exaggeration. Elsewhere you will find me experiencing Sean McDonough-worthy adolescent voice cracks, and other indignities. This is on account of a cold I was trying unsuccessfully to fight off, one which would have me convalescing in a Manhattan hotel room a couple days later, during a business trip I was not looking forward to anyway. "A program of many moods and energies?" Not exactly, on this night.
Anyway, we have an elusive 4AD-related piece of Physical Evidence to feature in this program, so that is something. Back in the day, this Garlands compact disc was one of a small handful of reasons why I finally "went digital." It was an expensive medium to jump into, and I had to be convinced, you see. What were the other reasons? As I recall, the cd combining the first two Felt LPs and a 3" (!) cd single by Trisomie 21. For you younger readers and listeners, you have to understand what a novelty it was, in the 1980s, to hear dead silence preceding the onset of music, instead of crackle or hiss. Friend of the program Mr. D. had the cassette of Garlands, which also featured these bonus tracks, and the A/B comparison was mind-blowing. I suppose my mind was easily blown.
BOMBAST playlist, 2018 January 3, 2100-2300:
- "Stuck in the Track at Salford Priors" | Fret | Over Depth | KarlRecords
- "Dear Heart" | Cocteau Twins | Garlands | 4AD | "Physical Evidence"
- "Chile's Crimson Tide" | Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement | Ambient Black Magic | Hospital Productions
- "Something in My Brain" | The Telescopes | As Light Return | Tapete
- "Ripleys" | Spectrasoul | How We Live | Ish Chat
- "Perhaps Some Other Aeon" | Cocteau Twins | Garlands | 4AD | "Physical Evidence"
- "Java Dub" | Impact All-Stars | Java Java Java Java - Instrumentals Dubwise Versions | Get On Down
- "Time to Sell the Golden Teeth" | El Mahdy Jr. (feat. Hamorabi 13th imam) | Time to Sell the Golden Teeth | Boomarm Nation
- "Dead Fly Disguise" | Brian Harris | My Sister's Wedding | self-released
- "Guitar" | Hisato Higuchi | She (Reissue) | Family Vineyard
- "Stretch Out And Wait" / "The Boy With the Thorn In His Side" / "Cemetry Gates" / "Rubber Ring / What She Said / Rubber Ring" - Live in Boston | The Smiths | The Queen Is Dead [box set] | Rhino
- "Sa Ou Che" | Cristobal and the Sea | Exitoca | City Slang
- "Stannum" | Kemper Norton | Lessons | Front and Follow
- "Speak No Evil" | Cocteau Twins | Garlands | 4AD | "Physical Evidence"
- "Tom at the Library" | West Norwood Cassette Library | Lessons | Front and Follow
- "Brexit Jazz - New Version" | Brexit Jazz | Brexit Jazz Remix EP | Compost
- "The Garden" | Carla dal Forno | The Garden | Blackest Ever Black
- "Hazel" | Cocteau Twins | Garlands | 4AD | "Physical Evidence"
- "Healthcare" | Ben Frost | The Centre Cannot Hold | Mute
- "Blind Dumb Deaf" | Cocteau Twins | Garlands | 4AD | "Physical Evidence"
- "Release the Bats" | The Birthday Party | Silhouettes & Statues - A Gothic Revolution 1978-1986 | Cherry Red
- "Dan Dare" | The Wedding Present | Singles 1989-1991 | Manifesto | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Island Fanfare" | Off World | 2 | Constellation
- "Friendship Train" | SJOB Movement | Friendship Train | Cultures of Soul
- "The Mighty 8th" | July Skies | The English Cold [reissue] | Caroline True
- "Hearsay Please" | Cocteau Twins | Garlands | 4AD | "Physical Evidence"
- "Alaska Cruisin" | Walter TV | Carpe Diem | Sinderyn
- "Voices" | Belia Winnewisser | PE-010 | Prasens Editionen
- "Pregame" | Blue Hawaii | Tenderness | Arbutus
- "The Opening" | Spotlights | Seismic | Ipecac
- "Madeira II (Mae Terra)" | Marco Bosco | Outro Tempo | Music from Memory
- "Dragou mig" | Hogni | Two Trains | Erased Tapes
- "Theta v2 (Repetir)" | Existente | Theta Series | Arctic Dub (Sursumcorda)
it could be now
With this mixtape we say good riddance to 2017, an awful year from our perspective, truly one of the worst. My perspective may be too narrow and that may be the problem, but this is my opinion and I am sticking with it. The slow descent into fascism, the degradation of fact, personal stresses and crises, an aborted vacation, an austere holiday season, Lady C falling and concussing herself--right now the idea that time only moves in one direction and therefore we will never revisit these moments is the only thing giving me any hope.
So we say "adieu" by featuring the Legendary Little Annie (yep, still not getting paid)--and I can think of no one better for this occasion. To tell the truth about this particular sausage of a program, I have the cd that combines Short and Sweet with In Dread, but if I recall correctly--sorry, too lazy to consult the database at the moment--we have already featured the latter. So it goes! There are odd moments in this program where one song ends abruptly, giving way to the next song's extremely slow and quiet fade-in. A good program for headphone listening, then! Or you could blast it on your hifi and lull your neighbors repeatedly into false senses of calm.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 December 27, 2100-2300:
- "Black and Blue" | The Veldt | Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose | self-released
- "Going for Gold" | Little Annie | Short and Sweet | On-U Sound | "Physical Evidence"
- "Dirty Joke" | DIRTY SONGS | DIRTY SONGS play DIRTY SONGS | Audika
- "Boots with Wings" | UUUU | UUUU | Editions Mego
- "Ambition" | TV21 | Gary Crowley's Punk and New Wave | Edsel
- "frikandel [the end bit]" | Brainwaltzera | Poly-Ana | Film
- "The Friendly Coroner" | Extrawelt | Fear of an Extra Planet | Cocoon
- "Metronomic Underground" | Stereolab | Serene Velocity: A Stereolab Anthology | Rhino / Elektra / Duophonic | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Give It To Me" | Little Annie | Short and Sweet | On-U Sound | "Physical Evidence"
- "Big Shot" | Patrick Cowley | Afternooners | Dark Entries
- "Moonlight" | Ziur | U Feel Anything? | Planet Mu
- "You, the Night and the Music" | Little Annie | Short and Sweet | On-U Sound | "Physical Evidence"
- "Party Of The Mind" | The Dead Suns | New Dark Age, A Tribute to the Sound | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "If Cain Were Able" | Little Annie | Short and Sweet | On-U Sound | "Physical Evidence"
- "Nobody" | Michael Claus | Memory Protect | 100% Silk
- "The Homeless Mutants" | Naked Beast | Naked Beast | Guitars and Bongos
- "Sanfte Grusse" | Voigt & Voigt | Speicher 99 | Kompakt
- "Watch the World Go Bye" | Little Annie | Short and Sweet | On-U Sound | "Physical Evidence"
- "Metropolis" | Somne | Metropolis EP | Just This
- "Hanging Pyramid" | Juju & Jordash | Sis-boom-bah! | Dekmantel
- "Lazuli" | Von Haze | VII | Drone UK
- "Boys Club" | Johannes Klingebiel | We'll Sea, Part 2 | Mireia
- "See the Light - Rework" | Sofa Surfers | 20 | Monoscope
- "Little Man" | Little Annie | Short and Sweet | On-U Sound | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Queen Is Dead" / "I Know It's Over" - Live in Boston" | The Smiths | The Queen Is Dead [box set] | Rhino
- "Dieu dans le bordel" | Mirco Magnani + Ernesto Tomasini | Madame E. | Undogmatisch
ere long done do does did
Since I never get to, or am never allowed to, do a WRFI broadcast on Christmas Eve, I suppose I will have to make do with another Festivus program. (This may be "inside talk" of the sort with which we had an attraction / repulsion thing going during this broadcast, but whatever.) Nevertheless, this was a good outing. Lady Catharsis and I had a nice mix of "chestnuts" and tunes we had never before played, and the banter was cheery and good. In an added bonus, I resisted the temptation to share all 24 minutes of Oval with our listeners.
And there was reason for cheer--it was the second night of our "Christmas vacation." Little did I know at the time that it would be ten days of mediocre sleep and troubled dreams, most of them dreams of a previous life I am well out of. Looking back, maybe our mood on this night was "premature," or "misplaced," or whatever, but hindsight doesn't cloud the fact that this was a fun show to do, and (I hope) to hear.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 December 23, 1900-2100:
- "December" | Teenage Fanclub | Bandwagonesque | DGC
- "The Secret Touch" | Cosey Fanni Tutti | Time To Tell | Conspiracy International
- "Christmas Underground" | Kristin Hersh | Banjo's Pavlova | self-released
- "You Little Shits" | Stereolab | Peng! | Too Pure
- "Good Morning Blues" | Ella Fitzgerald | Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas | Verve
- "It's That Time Again" | Screamin' Jay Hawkins & The Fuzztones | Live | Midnight
- "Fyt" / "Fond Affections" / "The Last Ray" | This Mortal Coil | It'll End in Tears | 4AD
- "Sleigh Ride" | The Partridge Family | A Partridge Family Christmas Card | Razor & Tie
- "Spacelab" | Kraftwerk | The Man-Machine | Capitol
- "Mary Mild" | The Kingston Trio | The Last Month of the Year | Capitol
- "Must Be Santa" | The Tea Jennies | "Christmas Crackers" | Bandcamp self-release
- "Sno Cat" | Kristin Hersh | Duchess of York UK Live 2009 | self-released
- "Quarterdrawing of the Dog" | Siouxsie & The Banshees | Tinderbox | Geffen
- "Rose Madder" | A Primary Industry | Ultramarine | Sweatbox
- "One Christmas For Your Thoughts" | The Durutti Column | Chantons Noël - Ghosts Of Christmas Past | Les Disques du Crepuscule
- "Jingle Bells" | Ella Fitzgerald | Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas | Verve
- "Jesus Christ" | Big Star | Big Star's 3rd: Sister Lovers | PVC
- "My Christmas Card To You" | The Partridge Family | A Partridge Family Christmas Card | Razor & Tie
- "Christmas Is Now Drawing Near" | Coil | Winter Solstice: North | Eskaton
- "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" | The Smiths | Hatful of Hollow | WEA
make mine gin and panic