We'll brush aside recollections and current-events commentary for this outing and just talk about the mixtape. I did not enjoy this program. Which is to say, I did not enjoy listening to this program after the fact, which I did twice. I thought it might improve on second listen, but as always I was wrong again, as someone once said. In case you didn't know, my listening venue is the gym; I've been having problems at the gym.
My new depression meds make me extremely restless, and I just can't see the point of running myself to death on the cardio machine every day. (What would I be doing instead, with my time? Good question.) "You're just fat and content now," my psychiatrist tells me. Or--counterpoint--I'm dismayed and out of control.
Maybe this is my way of talking myself out of thinking this was a bad program. It certainly didn't feel like it on the night, and it does get "good" in the last 15 minutes or so, if you want to scroll forward that far. June Tabor doesn't really "fit," after all, which is a sign of her greatness, and elsewhere it begins to dawn on me that I might just be into miserable music. It's good that I learned this before it was too late. I think.
BOMBAST playlist, 2018 May 2, 2100-2300:
- "Tongue Control" | Body-San | Silk to Dry the Tears | 100% Silk
- "Last Kiss by the Volga" | Macelleria Mobile di Mezzanotte | Hiver Noir | Subsound
- "Bass Playa" | Meat Beat Manifesto | Impossible Star | Flexidisc
- "Desire Lines" | Vibrissae | Lovelife, A Homage To Lush | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "The Banks Of The Sweet Dundee" | June Tabor | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Capsule" | Strie | Perpetual Journey | Serein
- "Contained Within While" | Weirding Module | A Newer Age | Joyful Noise Recordings
- "If I See You Again (TBTCI Version)" | Early Morning Sky | Fuzzy Feelings Collection | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Lord Bateman" | June Tabor | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "XX" | Nyma | XYXX | It's All In You
- "Mambo Fist Miasma" | Severed Heads | Brave New Waves Session | Artoffact
- "Drown the Witch" | Brian Harris | 7 Sweet Notions | self-released
- "Loss" | John Tejada | Dead Start Program | Kompakt
- "Donal Og" | June Tabor | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "300 HZ at Whitney Museum" | Simone Gatto | Heaven Inside Your Frequencies - Pt. 1 | Pregnant Void
- "Wakey Wakey" | B. Fleischmann | Stop Making Fans | Morr Music
- "Goodnight Children Everywhere" | The Times | This Is London [reissue] | Tapete
- "Shake Your Body" | Mike Umoh | Duomo Sounds LTD (Nigerian 80s Disco Music to Move Your Soul) | Odion
- "Tal" | Primer | Signals | Rarefied
- "Injury Time" | Pete Astor | One for the Ghost | Tapete
- "Buscando" | Dengue Dengue Dengue | Son de los Diablos | Enchufada
- "The Fiddle And The Drum" | June Tabor | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Bipolaire - Les Noirs" | Baloji | Bipolaire - Les Noirs | Bella Union
- "Raw Sun" | Ornette Hawkins | The Other Side of What | AGN7
- "Gimmick Sick" | Eric Random | Two Faced | Klanggalerie
- "Fix This Thang" | Bibio | Beyond Serious | WARP
- "Miracle Mind Program" | Mor Elian | Miracle Mind Program | Delft
oh dear, oh dear, oh no, oh no