Every day feels like a rollercoaster, but some are more rollercoasterish than others. I woke up last Wednesday to the news that Mermaids got their money after all, and it was encouraging to see Graham Linehan accurately described somewhere, for once. The day also brought the return of Bernie Sanders, which I should probably see as good even though it guarantees that we will be our worst selves for the next 21 months and probably beyond. In darker news, this day witnessed another plot twist in the totally disorienting Jussie Smollett saga, giving hate crime apologists everywhere ammunition to say that such things don't really happen, and making us choose between believing someone who might be an attention-seeking fraud or believing the Chicago Police Department. Oh, and there was a reminder that apparently our military breeds and harbors white nationalists, an underreported story that doesn't seem likely to end well. So--much to heal from on this night! Fortunately I am a doctor (sigh, ok I am not that kind of doctor).
Oh, I forgot one last thing--the director of the next Ghostbusters film said he was turning the franchise back over to "the fans," which made me think--what would happen if I did that with BOMBAST? It couldn't hurt--I'd like to think my listeners have better taste than anyone who gets worked up over Ghostbusters, and it's difficult to imagine people with worse technique than myself. Good grief--what was happening with those Amps and Waves of Dread segues? "Julie," which I played as a nice gesture for a Twitter friend, was a decent song but didn't fit well where I put it. I made the Orbital and Michael Head segues lag. APOLOGIES ALL AROUND. Finally, the NYZ tune was not as I recalled it, but in my defense, it was the one thing I liked on their otherwise impenetrable record. If there's one moment in this program that's "the dream" of the show, it's The Wedding Present fading into Baloji. I can't recommend it enough. Elsewhere, good tunes individually but dizzying incoherence overall. Art mirroring life!
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 February 20, 2100-2300:
- "Meteor Shower" | Marc Romboy & Petar Dundov | Dimension D | Systematic
- "Exodus" | Osynlige Mann | Airports / Exodus | Hoga Nord
- "You Are Nowhere" | Rainbow Grave | Sex Threat | God Unknown
- "Abhara" | Sonnenstadt | We've Been Hiding Too Long | Unforced
- "Fu Manchu Dub" | Jah Division | Dub Will Tear Us Apart...Again | Ernest Jenning Record Co.
- "Echoes" | Echolog | Longest Summer | Greta Cottage Woodpile
- "Mom's Drunk" | The Amps | Pacer | 4AD
- "The Mercy Seat" | Waves of Dread | Death is not the end... A Tribute to Nick Cave | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Beer Bottle Mama" | Andy Reynolds & His 101 Ranch Boys | Hillbilly Boogie! | Columbia - Legacy | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Julie (feat. Julie Schulte)" | The Black Watch | Julie | Bandcamp self-release
- "What Did Your Last Servant Die Of?" | The Wedding Present | George Best 30 | Scopitones
- "Ciel d'encre" | Baloji | 137 Avenue Kaniama | Bella Union
- "Queen Of All Saints" | Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band | Adios Señor Pussycat | Violette
- "A Winter In Los Angeles" | Massimiliano Pagliara | Feel Live | Live at Robert Johnson
- "Search Engine Translate" | Akito | Gone Again | Tight Knit
- "Battered at a Scramble" | Mogwai | Every Country's Sun | Rock Action
- "Channel the Spirits" | The Comet Is Coming | Channel The Spirits | Leaf
- "Seen and Not Seen" | Talking Heads | Remain in Light [reissue] | Sire
- "Jus Right" | Saine | Act Natural | Delusions of Grandeur
- "Theme for the Lost World" | Maajo | Permanent Vacation 5 | Permanent Vacation
- "Percussion Concussion" | Hazards of Prophecy | Minnie & Marcos | Tiff's Joints
- "Harm Joy" | The C.I.A. | The C.I.A. | In The Red
- "Buried Deep Within" | Orbital | Monsters Exist | ACP
- "Wobbly" | Will Saul | Arps & Early Starts | Aus
- "Liberty City" | Mark Stewart & The Maffia | Learning To Cope With Cowardice [reissue] | Mute
- "Perris - Inevitable Forthcoming Netflix Docudrama Version" | Finlay Shakepeare | Routine | Editions Mego
- "Who's out on Quaoar?" | Planet Battagon | Battagon Symphony EP | On the Corner
- "PTSone-r60subtree119c3tta" | NYZ | Shftr Frq | The Death of Rave
That's not what I wanted to hear