I don't even know where to begin. It's day 38 of lockdown--I mean, let's say that, why not. Who can tell anymore? The president just told us to inject bleach into ourselves. Figured I might post some content before the disinfectant regime becomes mandatory.
This is a program from a different time. Regular subscribers probably roll their eyes when I talk about "universes ending" and stuff like that. What do we think about this now? Not so dumb anymore, is it? WELCOME TO MY WORLD BITCHES.
Anyway, this is a good program done in the old style--that is, with me sitting in the studio and pressing "play" when it was time to hear a new song, and so forth. I'm sure part of me has been holding onto these last archaic transmissions, because who knows if there will be another of their kind? It does mess with me that I screwed up Vance & Suzzanne because otherwise this is pretty flawless--check out the transition from Grandmaster Flash to Zonal, just as an example.
Because this is also about baring my soul, I've got to get something about "Davis Homeboy DJ Shadow" off my chest. It's true that we grew up in the same town. At one point in my troubled youth I was a buyer/clerk at our record store and I was one of those archetypal record store assholes. At this point in my life I had a lot of anger though I don't know about what. I'm still dealing with it! Anyway one day these two guys came up to the counter & wanted to talk to me about something--but in their exuberance (or whatever) they knocked something off the counter, and I was like, "pick that up" before I would even engage them. They got mad and left, as they should have. NOW. I have absolutely no reason to believe this is the case but I have somehow retconned (or gaslit? i don't know) myself into thinking one of those guys was Josh Davis. Again, NO REASON TO THINK THIS but this is what I do to myself.
Anyway, now that I don't have a gym to go to I try to get out of the house every day and walk around "in nature" and this is the kind of stuff I do, replaying my life's most embarrassing episodes inside my head. Apologies to Shadow & friend or whoever the fuck those guys were. I'd like to tell you I'm a changed person but at least I'm working on it.
Since this program was broadcast, 114 days ago now, I've gone "on the air" 13 times. I have delivered six pre-recorded episodes on account of the pandemic. I'm supposed to be editing a sound file from 58 days ago--ten shows ago, I guess? I'm not sure any of this matters, but I am forcing myself to go through the motions, working the "mattering" into being, I guess, maybe. To think I once joked about quarantine giving me time to get caught up!
Anyway, looking back, I'm more convinced than ever that 2019 was indeed a good year. But let's enjoy the innocence of early 2020 while we can, however we can.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 January 1, 2100-2300:
- "A Bleak Moment" | Taelue | Reflections | Perpetual Rhythms
- "Super Rappin' No 1" | Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five | Back In The Day (Old School Hip Hop From The Block Party Era) | BGP
- "Debris" | Zonal | Wrecked | Relapse
- "Terminal Manouevre" | XVARR | Echoes of Time | Good Morning Tapes
- "Drips" | Flying Lotus | Presents INFINITY Infinitum Maida Vale Session | WARP
- "Midnight In A Perfect World" | DJ Shadow | Endtroducing... | Mo Wax - FFRR
- "Cretu" | Ummagma | Compass | Leonard Skully
- "Exotika" | Chris & Cosey | Exotika | Conspiracy International
- "Patina" | Avtvmna | Summer Estate | Kahvi Collective
- "A Different View" | brim liski | Duels | Latenight Weeknight
- "Spanish Town Road Dub" | Scientist | The Scientist in the Kingdom of Dub | Superior Viaduct
- "I Can't Get Along Without You" | Vance and Suzzanne | I Can't Get Along Without You | Kalita
- "Corsage" | Dosage | Theory of Pink | Les Disques Du Festival Permanent
- "The Seven Planetary Heavens" | The Comet Is Coming | The Afterlife | Impulse
- "Mythologies" | ØxØ | Mythologies | Truant
- "Sálvame" | Mequetrefe | Come On Feel The NoiZe, Vol. 4 - La Furia | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "It's You" | Big Joanie | Sistahs | Daydream Library Series
- "Shop Lifting" | The Slits | The Peel Sessions | Dutch East India Trading / Strange Fruit
- "Scarred for Life" | Medicine | Scarred for Life | Drawing Room Records
- "Tchiokoroba" | Mamadou Kelly | Les Bateaux | Claremont
- "Chateau Rouge" | Bantou Mentale | Bantou Mentale | Glitterbeat
- "Magik" | Lee "Scratch" Perry | Magik | Stones Throw
- "Liminality" | Kid Koala | Music To Draw To: Io | Zenerino
- "Yogi Yamahssar" | Tapan Meets Generation Taragalte | Atlas | Soundway
- "Dinosaur Girl" | Brix & The Extricated | Dinosaur Girl | Grit Over Glamour
- "Kel Tinariwen" | Tinariwen | Amadjar | Wedge
- "Bolinas" | Meat Beat Manifesto | Opaque Couche | Flexidisc
using the ladder they call success