On a night when we "celebrate" the Winter Solstice and the upcoming "Mayan Apocalypse," who better to serve as co-host than Persephone "Goddess of the Underworld" Doliner? Nobody, that's who. So glad to have her intelligence and wit livening up the broadcast again.
The good thing about guests is that they take the show to unexpected places. I would never play the Rolling Stones under normal circumstances--see the "Under-Exposure Policy" for details--but the opening of "Gimme Shelter" is a sublime passage of music, and perfect for this show on this night. The Dropkick Murphys--again, not really on my radar--bumped a similar-sounding recent tune from Half Man Half Biscuit, which I hope to play very soon.
We herewith [begin to] induct the departed Coil into the Bombast Hall of Legends, where they join The Fall, Stereolab, and Billy Childish. We have heard quite a bit from them at this point, so we'll put them aside until the Spring Equinox rolls around. Since "modesty is a virtue, but honesty is [my] policy," I will say that the segue between the Current 93 piece and Coil's "Magnetic North" and the one going from "Christmas is Now Drawing Near" into "Crashing Sphere" are two of my finest moments in radio. Coil! Your difficult music lends itself to beautiful transitions! Salut! If you want to hear those last few moments of David Tibet's voice in their original isolation, "I Have a Special Plan for This World" is available on Youtube.
BOMBAST playlist, 2012 December 19, 8:00-10:00 p.m.
- Gabriel Ananda / Alice Rose: "Struck by Light" [Basmati]
- Magnetophone: "And May Your Last Words Be a Chance to Make Things Better" [4AD]
- Prefuse 73: "The Only Recollection of Where Life Stopped" [Warp]
- Coil: "A White Rainbow" [Eskaton]
- Esquivel: "I Feel Merely Marvelous" [Bar/None]
- Thee Headcoats: "John the Revelator" [Damaged Goods]
- Willie Williams: "Armagideon Time" [Heartbeat]
- Johnny Cash: "I See a Darkness" [American] ***"Listening Parlour"
- Los Saicos: "Demoler" [Munster]
- The Flaming Stars: "Lit Up Like a Christmas Tree" [Vinyl Japan]
- The Rolling Stones: "Gimme Shelter" [ABKCO]--Persephone's selection
- Coil: "North" [Eskaton]
- Orbital: "Where Is It Going?" [ACP]
- Current 93: "I Have a Special Plan for This World" [Durtro]
- Coil: "Magnetic North" [Eskaton]
- Kristin Hersh: "Can the Circle Be Unbroken" [4AD] ***"Listening Parlour"
- The Dropkick Murphys: "The Season's Upon Us" [Born & Bred]--JD's selection
- Fai Baba: "In My Time of Dying" [A Tree in a Field]
- Coil: "Christmas Is Now Drawing Near" [Eskaton]
- Starkey: "Crashing Sphere" [Civil Music]
- The Clash: "Armagideon Time" [Epic / Legacy]
- The Specials: "You're Wondering Now" [EMI]
Next time: the Catharsis Family Circus, en vivo. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis