I must have been in a bad mood when this program aired, but what is new? This was the day my therapist told me to stop drinking and to see a psychiatrist. I did one of these things. I will let you guess which one it was.
ANYWAY! The program starts off well but for some reason I don’t talk during a long King Sunny Ade instrumental. I am Just Not On My A Game.
"Energies Collide" is really heteronormative, wow--
"Reunite the tantric spark, the magic?" Is this the Sting universe? They say that when you're happy you listen to atmosphere and groove and when you're depressed you tune into the lyrics. Maybe I have been happy all this time.
"Words of Expectation" is a real room-clearer, this live rendition being more annoying than I remember. It wasn’t a good segue either. I talked over “encore,” oops, but Dylan Thomas can get bent.
Since this program was broadcast, 426 days ago now, I've gone "on the air" 59 times. I have delivered 51 pre-recorded episodes on account of the pandemic. These numbers don't seem to be moving...
My therapist, when she was not giving me advice that I only partially heeded, told me, "not every trace of your existence has to disappear from the fabric of space-time." This is a good thing to remember as I try to get back into the swing of documenting this ongoing adventure.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 February 5, 2100-2300:
- "Ja Fun Mi - Instrumental" | King Sunny Ade | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Brent" | Girl in a gale | Shepherd Drift | Kahvi Collective
- "Energies Collide" | Black Jazz Consortium | Evolution of Light | Perpetual Sound
- "Latin Parang" | Colleen Grant | Latin Parang / Parang Jam | Soundway
- "Wrecked" | Zonal | Wrecked | Relapse
- "She Don't Want That" | Midnite Snaxxx | Music Inside | Slovenly
- "Better Change Your Mind" | William Onyeabor | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Abstract of Expression" | The Durutti Column | Fidelity [reissue] | Les Disques Du Crépuscule
- "Four Feet" | Otik | Blasphemy | Boogie Box
- "In Wooded Country" | Whistling Arrow | Whistling Arrow | God Unknown
- "Wild Sand" | Secret Wilderness | Out Of The Darkness | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Go Back to Oly" | Elite Beat | Selected Rhythms | Research Records
- "Words of Expectation - Live, Larry's Hideaway, Toronto, Canada, 21 April 1983" | The Fall | Room To Live [reissue] | Cherry Red
- "A Lover Sings" | Billy Bragg | Best Of Billy Bragg At The BBC 1983 - 2019 | Cooking Vinyl
- "Encore" | The Velvet Orchestra | Velvet Desert Music Vol. 1 | Kompakt
- "Josephine" | Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band | Adios Señor Pussycat | Violette
- "Wonder Why" | dayflower | petal drops | self-released
- "Lazybeams" | Plaid | Peel Session 2 | WARP
- "Endless Cycle" | Lou Reed | New York | Sire | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Passing of Time" | Moor Mother | Analog Fluids of Solid Black Holes | Don Giovanni
- "Abidjan Adja" | Antoinette Konan | Abidjan Adja | Awesome Tapes From Africa
- "Stars" | Kunds | Shepherd Drift | Kahvi Collective
- "A Brief Message" | Ryo Kawasaki & The Golden Dragon | Little Tree | Studio Mule
- "Don't Let Our Youth Go To Waste" | Galaxie 500 | Today [reissue] | 20|20|20
Everything will be alright, you are in my hands