It was a Sunday afternoon, and I was on the radio. Why? I don't even remember. The likely goal was to "occupy" the station during a stretch of airtime that no live host wanted to claim, & spare our poor listeners from 90 minutes of pre-recorded public affairs programming some some distant place. So effectively I might have been destroying the village in order to save it.
I might also have just said "screw it, I've EARNED this airtime," having endured some bit of nonsense or other that should never be visited upon a volunteer. I swear, the amount of crap one takes is directly proportional to the amount of free stuff that one does for other people, when it should be the inverse. A house elf I am not.
Whatever the reason, there I was, and magic was happening. This program does have a few of those moments, when one thinks, "this is not what I was hearing five minutes ago, but how did we get here?" THAT'S THE DREAM. Anger and duress, I am telling you.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 March 16, 1600-1730:
- "Mic Check" | Ravioli Me Away | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "Theme From Baby Age" | Cloud Becomes Your Hand | Rocks or Cakes | Northern Spy
- "Boom Boom" | The Spiders | Big Lizard Stomp - Teen Trash from Psychedelic Tokyo 1966-1969 | Bamboo
- "Master Card" | Mogwai | Rave Tapes | Sub Pop
- "Undead" | Special Request | Soul Music | Houndstooth
- "Earth of No Horizon" | Jakob Skott | Amor Fati | El Paraiso
- "Nu Bruises" | Superchunk | Indoor Living | Merge
- "Rock of Creation" | Deadbeat and Paul St. Hilaire | The Infinity Dub Sessions | BLKRTZ
- "Over and Over" | Gallon Drunk | The Soul of The Hour | Clouds Hill
- "Thin Air" | Node | Node 2 | DiN
- "Esperanto Juggler" | Dusky | Careless | Aus
- "The Big Beat Country Dance" | Thor's Hammer | If You Knew: Icelandic Punk & Beat '65-'67! | Ugly Pop
- "The Dole, Pt. 2" | DeRobert and the Half-Truths | I'm Tryin' | G.E.D. Soul
- "Omega Y" | Dusty Kid | III | Isolade
- "Harmonious Lifestyles" | Gulls | Patterns Is Life | Boomarm Nation
- "Feed the Dog" | Bored | Scuzz | Bang!
- "The Beach" | Goitia Deitz | Dream Meridian | Cut Mistake
next time: Afro-funk. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
I generated the present "mixtape" live on air at the end of a "blastedly awful" day. Friends of mine have heard this from me for years: anger and duress produce my best work. It's a curse. I deal with it as best I can. Why do you think I love "Gallon Drunk?"
Even without the technology-related disaster that began my day, I've been dealing with a chronic malaise in everyday life. No "Champagne Breakfasts" or "Lullabyes in Dub" for me these last couple of weeks, just a series of "Marathon Things" and "Dumb Rooms."
What was the disaster, you ask? You'll just have to wait. Something big is coming, and when it is here all will be told.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 March 12, 2100-2300:
- "The Dumb Room" | Gallon Drunk | The Soul of the Hour | Clouds Hill
- "First Born" | Crazy Bald Heads | First Born | Text | "Physical Evidence"
- "Re-Engineering" | Heatsick | Re-Engineering | PAN
- "I Love You Every Day Sandy" | The Carnabeats | Big Lizard Stomp - Teen Trash from Psychedelic Tokyo 1966-1969 | Bamboo
- "First Born - Champagne Breakfast Mix" | Crazy Bald Heads | First Born | Text | "Physical Evidence"
- "Owltastic" | Dominik Eulberg & Gabriel Ananda | Friend of All That Lives | Traum
- "Aubade" | Colo | UR | KI
- "Magdalena" | Pixies | EP2 | self-released
- "Geraldine" | Quasi | Mole City | Kill Rock Stars
- "Haiku" | The Mops | Big Lizard Stomp - Teen Trash from Psychedelic Tokyo 1966-1969 | Bamboo
- "First Born - Four Tet Remix" | Crazy Bald Heads | First Born | Text | "Physical Evidence"
- "A Change Is Going To Come" | Baby Huey | The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend | Curtom
- "Night Vision" | Sun Spells | not on album | Soundcloud self-release
- "Sex Dwarf" | Soft Cell | Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret | Sire | "Listening Parlour"
- "Tobacco Road" | Jaguars | Big Lizard Stomp - Teen Trash from Psychedelic Tokyo 1966-1969 | Bamboo
- "Peace and Love" | Deadbeat and Paul St. Hilaire | The Infinity Dub Sessions | BLKRTZ
- "The Marathon Thing" | Altarboy | Slow Ghost | Wonder Wet
- "A Change Is Gonna Come" | Prince Buster | Judge Dread Rock Steady / She Was a Rough Rider | Dojo
- "Lullaby In Dub" | Crazy Bald Heads | First Born | Text | "Physical Evidence"
- "Logotone" | Steve Moore | Pangaea Ultima | Spectrum Spools
next time: some brutal segues. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
A better-than-usual afternoon broadcast is on offer today. I do waver between missing the regular weekend daytime slot from Spring 2013 and feeling assured that nighttime is where my program usually belongs. But sunlight is known to confuse me in the control booth. I do the best I can, "best" probably being what you hear in this sound file.
May I make a recommendation? Since you are not stopping me, I will proceed. Find a sunny afternoon or early evening, let's say, an hour or two before sunset. Go for a walk. Scroll the "tape" to the point where the Sun Spells song plays, and blast away. Repeat as necessary. I had so much fun with this a few days ago. I think your results will not vary.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 March 9, 1600-1730:
- "Brendan #1" | Fugazi | Repeater | Dischord
- "Nautloid Reef" | The Gories | The Shaw Tapes: Live in Detroit 5/27/88 | Third Man
- "Billy D (Patrice Scott Remix)" | Moniker | Billy D | Circus Company
- "Mr. Richman" | Leroy Smart | The Don Tells It Like It Is | Bunny Lee
- "Cat Call" | Ravioli Me Away | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "The Lord Is Out of Control" | Mogwai | Rave Tapes | Sub Pop
- "Anna Mae" | Christina Vantzou | No.2 | kranky
- "Hyperion" | Peter Van Hoesen | Life Performance | Tresor
- "Doppler" | Node | Node 2 | DiN
- "A Thousand Syllables" | Bibio | The Green EP | Warp
- "Marijuana" | Chrome Sparks | Sparks | Future Classic
- "Pink Room" | Sun Spells | not on album | Soundcloud self-release
- "Ra Ta Ta Ta (Dub)" | Alpha Steppa feat. Lee "Scratch" Perry | Alpha Steppa Meets Joe Ariwa feat. Lee "Scratch" Perry | Steppas
- "Tell Too Much" | Dog Chocolate | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "Demain" | Police Des Moeurs | Police Des Moeurs | Mannequin
- "Call On Me" | Downtown Party Network | In the Air | Dirt Crew
- "Running" | Baby Huey | The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend | Curtom
- "In Tongues" | Goitia Deitz | Dream Meridian | Cut Mistake
- "Junior Prom" | Afriqua | not on album | Soundcloud self-release
next time: a visit to the dumb room. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
This evening of amateur French translation and world-class mediocrity (all mine) features the "other side" of that fabulous E.E.K. record. Like a Konono No. 1 / Shitmat jam session captured on a terrible cassette, it is a unique and longed-for experience. It enters the as-yet-unnamed pantheon of Great Records of which I Have Played All The Songs (possible redundancy with the word "great").
Uh, elsewhere, it is a typical (fun) night. I have yet to figure out why these "bonus" shows are so much more freewheeling and enjoyable than the regular program. Too much pressure? Too many features? I am mired in one of my phases of existential doubt. Should I just be a fill-in and not a fixture? Much wonderings, so confusion. And there is still so much "to do" before we have exhausted all value.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 March 6, 2100-2300:
- "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" | Morrissey | Your Arsenal | Rhino
- "Still Seas - Call Super's Fraud Loop" | Second Storey | HTH vs HTH | Houndstooth
- "Derniere Chance" | Police Des Moeurs | Police Des Moeurs | Mannequin
- "Flare" | Lumisokea | Apophenia | Opal Tapes
- "How You Gonna Do It" | Lenis Guess | The Norfolk Soul Sound | Soul7
- "White Rain (feat. Chloe)" | Abstraxion | Break of Lights | Hakt
- "Bumble Bee" | Lavern Baker | Bumble Bee | Fryers
- "I Don't" | Sano | Sano | Comeme
- "Lockjaw - Akkord Remix" | Special Request | HTH vs HTH 12" | Houndstooth
- "Zarubezh" | Vtgnike | Dubna | Other People
- "Runaway Train" | Ravioli Me Away | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "My Life" | Thor's Hammer | If You Knew: Icelandic Punk & Beat '65-'67! | Ugly Pop
- "Ooo Wee" | DeRobert and the Half-Truths | I'm Tryin' | G.E.D. Soul
- "Give Chance a Chance" | Dog Chocolate | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "Live Jam - 2" | E.E.K. | Live at the Cairo High Cinema Institute | Nashazphone | "Physical Evidence"
- "Flux" | Gregor Tresher & Petar Dundov | Taurus | Break New Soil
- "IIII.III" | Papir | IIII | El Paraiso
- "Adverts (clip slip)" | Dif Juz | Time Clock Turn Back | Pleasantly Surprised
- "You Don't" | Tricky | Maxinquaye | Island
next time: a visit to the pink room. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Here we have a "regular" Bombast, meaning the weekly time slot that I inhabit by default. This full-featured program incorporates a spin of American Music Club (the sound of limerance) and a heavy focus on Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo, the first album from the mighty Claude M'Barali, better known as MC Solaar. There was a time when I could grasp most of what he was saying--in fact I was introduced to his music in French class--but I'm out of practice and therefore reduced to responding to his flow as Guru did: "yeah."
Elsewhere: "what," I asked Lady Catharsis, "is the most Fall-like of all Fall songs?" Without hesitation, she replied, "check the record, check the record, check the guy's track record." Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one. This birthday thing that I have been doing: it's like having multiple Parlours of Listening.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 March 5, 2100-2300:
- "Big New Prinz" | The Fall | 458489 A Sides | Beggars Banquet - RCA
- "L'histoire de l'Art" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
- "Animal or Vegetable [A Wonderful Wooden Reason...]" | Stereolab, Nurse With Wound | Crumb Duck | self-released
- "Quartier Nord" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Heart Full of Eyes" | Current 93 | I Am the Last of All the Field That Fell: A Channel | Coptic Cat
- "Night Keys" | Satin Jackets | The Blue Collection | Eskimo
- "Softcore" | Troy Pierce | Softcore EP | Items & Things
- "A Temps Partiel" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
- "Hit By Love" | Ravioli Me Away | Ravioli Me Away / Or | Upset The Rhythm
- "Take the Fall - Sevensol & Bender Remix" | Paskal & Urban Absolutes | LUX Remixes 1 | Sonar Kollektiv
- "Bouge De La (Part. 2)" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
- "Yo Dub - Umberto Echo Dub" | Dactah Chando | Sabiduria | Achinech
- "Matiere Grasse Contre Matiere Grise" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
- "Vancouver Island Quartet" | Christina Vantzou | No.2 | kranky
- "IIII.II" | Papir | IIII | El Paraiso
- "The Illusion of Choice (Donato Dozzy Remix)" | Lucy | Churches, Schools and Guns Remixed | Stroboscopic Artefacts
- "Intro" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
- "Simon Ferocious" | Mogwai | Rave Tapes | Sub Pop
- "Crabwalk" | American Music Club | Everclear | Alias | "Listening Parlour"
- "Dewsbury Severance - Second Storey's Quadraxx Mix" | Call Super | HTH vs HTH | Houndstooth
- "Basslines for Death" | Buz Ludzha | Love Repetitive Rhythmics | All City Dublin
- "Funky Dreamer" | MC Solaar | Qui Seme Le Vent Recolte Le Tempo | Polydor France | "Physical Evidence"
next time: a visit from the morality police. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
After a week's hiatus, we return to the usual "hump night" program with what is sort of a family affair. We think, although we haven't paid the Mormons to confirm it, that maybe Lady Catharsis is a Distant Relative of the Man in Black, which would make me a Distant In-Law (although "distant outlaw" would sound cooler, on a couple of levels). So 'Til Things Are Brighter, originally issued as a benefit for the Terence Higgins Trust (to which I mistakenly refer in the past tense) serves as the night's "Physical Evidence," while the MIB himself is waiting in the Listening Parlour to teach us how to cry.
While that record is great, I always preferred Nick Cave's take on "Wanted Man," particularly on account of the rhyme he wrote to accompany the phrase "wanted man in El Paso": "I got bounties on my head in towns you would never think to go." Lady Catharsis and I understand that one all too well. If you're ever down there, just drive on through.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 February 26, 2100-2300:
- "Night Time" | Killing Joke | Night Time | EG
- "I Walk the Line" | Stephen Mallinder | 'Til Things Are Brighter...A Tribute To Johnny Cash | Red Rhino | "Physical Evidence"
- "Umida" | Vtgnike | Dubna | Other People
- "Black Snow (Isolee Remix)" | Cavaan | Sign's | Treat Your DJ Right
- "Destruction - Special Request VIP" | Akkord | HTH vs HTH 12" | Houndstooth
- "Big River" | Johnny Cash | Sunday Morning Coming Down | Columbia | "Listening Parlour"
- "Abundance of Selves" | Conforce | Kinetic Image | Delsin
- "Shinkansen West" | Node | Node 2 | DiN
- "Wanted Man" | Marc Riley | 'Til Things Are Brighter...A Tribute To Johnny Cash | Red Rhino | "Physical Evidence"
- "Ring of Fire" | This Kid Named Miles | Cash Covered | Mojo Magazine
- "Five Feet High And Risin'" | Tracey and Melissa Beehive | 'Til Things Are Brighter...A Tribute To Johnny Cash | Red Rhino | "Physical Evidence"
- "Wanted Man" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | The Firstborn Is Dead | Mute
- "When Doves Cry (feat. Barbarossa) - Downtown Party Network Remix" | Mario & Vidis | Undercover | Silence Family
- "201 Phasing (Chris Liebing Triple Bell Edit)" | Lucy | 201 Phasing EP | Create Learn Realise
- "Rosanna's Goin' Wild" | Steve Mack | 'Til Things Are Brighter...A Tribute To Johnny Cash | Red Rhino | "Physical Evidence"
- "When Told (Atom TM Remix)" | These Hidden Hands | Remixes II | Hidden Hundred
- "Glamorous Glue" | Morrissey | Your Arsenal | Rhino
- "Country Boy" | David McComb | 'Til Things Are Brighter...A Tribute To Johnny Cash | Red Rhino | "Physical Evidence"
- "On the Other Side of Light" | The New Alchemy | On the Other Side of Light | Subliminal Sounds
- "The Dangers with Strangers" | Troy Pierce | Softcore EP | Items & Things
- "I Don't Owe You Anything" | Sandie Shaw | Hand In Glove | Rough Trade
next time: we harvest the funk. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
This "bonus" program consists of me giving the turntables a prescribed workout. Turntable 1 had been fixed the day before by Steve, who wanted it to get 10 hours of "action" before we checked in with him again. (I assumed that he meant "playing of records," but I am middle-aged and don't visit Urban Dictionary all that often.) That, and a gap in the schedule, was the only excuse I needed.
I've inadvertently given "DJ Driftwood," who does the 2-4pm show on Sundays, the impression that I do an "all vinyl" show. (Memories!) This one wasn't, really, and most of them aren't. But it was good, improvisational fun. I don't know how often anyone has followed Twilight Circus with T. Rex, but I can confirm that it has happened once. And I came this close to playing "Bela Lugosi's Dead." I halfway believe that I have a residual inhibition dating back to the moratorium that the music directors at my old station imposed on that song, as late as 1986, I kid you not.
Finally, E.E.K. (or "Eek") is absolutely mindblowing, and side 2 gets an airing soon.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 February 23, 1600-1730:
- "Moya" | Godspeed You Black Emperor! | Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada E.P. | Constellation
- "Lowell and Nine" | Twilight Circus Dub Soundsystem | Binshaker Dub | M
- "Elemental Child" | T. Rex | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit
- "Break Pressure" | Alex Coulton | Murda / Break Pressure | Black Acre
- "Baby Vampire Made Me" | Helium | Pirate Prude | Matador
- "Rebiana Sand Sea" | Muslimgauze | Melt | BSI
- "Crawl" | Bunnydrums | Feathers Web | Funk Dungeon
- "Live Jam - 1" | E.E.K. | Live at the Cairo High Cinema Institute | Nashazphone
- "Boys" / "Dark Entries (demo)" | Bauhaus | Bela Lugosi's Dead | Small Wonder
- "Iration Time" | Sound Iration | Sound Iration In Dub | WAU! Mr. Modo
- "Wait and Shuffle" | Cabaret Voltaire | 2 x 45 | Rough Trade
- "Escape" | Dusty Kid | III | Isolade
next time: many, many covers. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
These days, every fun time is a stolen moment, so here I am, committing petty theft. Society's loss is your gain, because I bring you a mixtape: the 99th. [CURSE YOU FOREVER, LOST EPISODE 19.] This was a Tuesday night "Test Pattern" slot, and therefore featureless, but still wall-to-wall awesome.
Numbers. What are they? Do they mean anything? I try not to place too much value on them, even when they indicate milestones, as "100" would seem to. For a while I thought something Special might happen for the 100th iteration of this program. When that fell through I was resolved to plow forward "as normal." And then, even better, a space opened up on short notice allowing me to do a "surprise" program. Many things in the history of this show have fallen into place in just the right way. The very first Bombast was one such thing. This one is another. With any luck there will be more.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 February 18-19, 2300-0100:
- "Supernaut" | 1000 Homo DJs | Supernaut | Purple Pyramid
- "Now" | Andy Fairley | Fishfood vs The Birth of Sharon | Bristol Archive
- "Boogie Chillen" | John Lee Hooker | The Ultimate Collection 1948-1990 | Rhino
- "The Creature that Tasted Sound" | The Legendary Pink Dots | The Creature that Tasted Sound | self-released
- "Al Qaeda" | Vatican Shadow | When You Are Crawling | Hospital Productions
- "Amor Fati" | Jakob Skott | Amor Fati | El Paraiso
- "Heard About You Last Night" | Mogwai | Rave Tapes | Sub Pop
- "Listen, The Snow Is Falling" | Galaxie 500 | This Is Our Music | Rough Trade
- "Laws and Habits (Milton Bradley Remix)" | Lucy | Churches, Schools and Guns Remixed | Stroboscopic Artefacts
- "IIII.IIII" | Papir | IIII | El Paraiso
- "Hotel Congress (Domenique A cover)" | AV | Mort a Vegas EP | Police - Modulor
- "Blue Eyed Hexe" | Pixies | EP2 | self-released
- "Clockout" | Devo | Duty Now For The Future | Warner Bros.
- "Boogie Chillen" | The Gories | The Shaw Tapes: Live in Detroit 5/27/88 | Third Man
- "Sleepwalking" | Cabaret Voltaire | Drinking Gasoline | Mute
- "A3" | Darkside (Nicolas Jaar & Dave Harrington) | Darkside | Clown & Sunset
- "Sandalyon" | Dusty Kid | III | Isolade
next time: testing the gear. spoiler: it works. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
I return to posting with an emergency late-night transmission. Are bagpipes a late-night thing? No, they are an all-hours-of-the-day thing. But I suppose Rufus Harley and Test Dept. are late-night things, so here they are. Ah, Test Dept.! Memories, you guys. If you were curious (were you? no?) what the "old shows" used to sound like, back in the day, look no further.
ANYWAY. I know that Guy LeBatard is fond of quoting those Situationist wastrels, but "never work" resonates as an all-purpose advisory right about now. Things are busy. I am resolved to hack through the business with a machete of sound. Because I need to clear the decks. Because something big is coming. That's all I will say.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 February 13-14, 2300-0100:
- "Disorder" | Peter Hook and the Light | Unknown Pleasures Live in Australia | Pylon
- "Ancient Temples in the Southern Cape - Gaudi Mix" | Suns of Arqa | Ancient Temples EP | Mariko
- "29.12.11" | The Legendary Pink Dots | The Creature that Tasted Sound | self-released
- "Lolo & Pepe" | Mario Basanov | Machinarium | Best Kept Secret
- "Loose Nut" | Black Flag | Who's Got the 10 1/2? | SST
- "A1" | Darkside (Nicolas Jaar & Dave Harrington) | Darkside | Clown & Sunset
- "Little Planet (The Micronaut Remix)" | The Micronaut | Garden | Acker
- "Gods and Goddesses" | Rufus Harley | Re-Creation of the Gods | Transparency
- "Fetemes" | Kaumwald | Hantasive | Opal Tapes
- "At First, And Then" / "Strength of Strings" / "Morning Glory" | This Mortal Coil | Filigree & Shadow | 4AD
- "Shang Kuan Cheng" | Adam Prescott | Trigram Two | Trigram
- "Hex_ad" | Akkord | Akkord | Houndstooth
- "Victory" / "Cha Till Sinn Tuille (We Shall Return No More)" / "Demonomania" | Test Dept. | A Good Night Out | Some Bizarre - Relativity | "Physical Evidence"
- "Against the Grain" | Henry L | Farside 23 | Farside
- "Night Flight" | Logos | Cold Mission | Keysound
- "I Could Not Shift the Shadow" | Current 93 | I Am the Last of All the Field That Fell: A Channel | Coptic Cat
next time: as it was in the beginning. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
I have a bad habit of overstaying my welcome. So I will be brief. This is another instance of my sneaking into the WRFI command center and engaging in an unauthorized missile launch. A missile of blissful sound.
Boxing Day is one of the year's best days. This one was lovely and cold. Before the cold leaves us, I wanted to share this with you. I give you my heart. Don't give it away, tomorrow or any other time.
CRUISING ALTITUDE playlist, 2013 December 26, 1200-1300:
- "Replaced by His Constellation" | Cyclobe | Brain in the Wire | Brainwashed
- "Croupier" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "Holleri" | Reformed Faction | Irritating Music for Discerning Snobs Desperate to Impress Their Jaded Friends | Soleilmoon
- "Soul Kiss" | Spectrum | Volume 4 | Volume 4
- "Fake '88" | Saint Etienne | Volume 6 | Volume
- "Last Christmas [PHON.O's Down Edit]" | Wham / PHON.O | Not on album | Soundcloud self-release
off I go.