"Ahoy!" here is a program from the not too distant past. I wish I had something useful to say about it but it has been rough lately, yo. Very difficult to formulate any coherent thoughts, what with work and family bearing down on me, not nec. in bad ways, just that everything consumes time.
Speaking of which, Beyond Time is a most welcome return for 23 Skidoo. [And no, I haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet, so no comments on what is probably an awesome film.] I have enjoyed this band's music since before I started doing radio, which was a long time ago, you guys. 23 Skidoo have my permission to keep making records for as long as they like!
You know what, though? John from Time Spent Listening is right--social media is pathological. We lost four passengers from the Facebook page within 24 hours of this program's airing. It has taken me this long to stop blaming myself and conclude that these four must have been the sort of "judges at a high school talent show" that my program has always been designed to offend. Thanks, to the rest of you, for staying onboard.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 March 17, 2100-2300:
- "Bad Betty" | The Sonics | Bad Betty | The Sonics Boom
- "Contemplation" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule | "Physical Evidence"
- "OUD" | Disappears | Irreal | Kranky
- "Sun Salute" | 50 Foot Wave | Night Blooming (Works in Progress) | self-released
- "Mirror's Edge" | Dave Bessell | Black Horses of the Sun | DiN
- "Noisy" | Douglas Greed & Mooryc | Spark / Noisy | Freude Am Tanzen
- "AYU (Ambient)" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule | "Physical Evidence"
- "On Knives" | Snow Ghosts | A Wrecking | Houndstooth
- "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" | The Darkness vs SFB | I Believe in a Thing Called Love | not on label (SFB Remix Series)
- "Kendang" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule | "Physical Evidence"
- "Tans 1 - Lieb" | Aden | Tanz | Ultramajic
- "Abaraxas II" | Lando | MYTH002 | Myth
- "Helicopterz" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule | "Physical Evidence"
- "Chug-A-Lug" | The Viscounts | Chug-A-Lug - Exotic Blues & Rhythm Vol. 8 | Stag-O-Lee
- "Infinity" | Malandra Jr | Four to the Floor 04 | DIYNamic
- "The Rubberband Man" | The Spinners | The Rubberband Man / Now That We're Together | Atlantic
- "Decay" | D'Marc Cantu | Decay | Drone
- "Calypso" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule | "Physical Evidence"
- "Dorian (feat. Edward Ka-Spel and Brant Showers) -Brant's Mix" | Databomb | Dorian | Bandcamp self-release
- "Totally Useless" | Psykik Volts | Totally Useless / Horror Stories #5 | Munster
- "Interzonal" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule | "Physical Evidence"
- "13 Women" | Chance Halladay | Boom-A-Lay - Exotic Blues & Rhythm Vol. 7 | Stag-O-Lee
- "Shake Off the Ghosts" | Simple Minds | Sparkle in the Rain | Universal
next time: probably some teenage garbage. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Another "IDGAF" program which, naturally, turned out pretty well. The power of that attitude is such that even with a dreaded, round number of 10 songs, I managed not to call down the wrath of the radio gods. [As I write this, a week and a half later, I have the benefit of knowing that it will happen in or after the next program.]
Old times: "Bela Lugosi's Dead," which I wound up not playing because Joe played it on his program earlier in the evening [long tracks have their virtues, especially during playlist reporting], was once the subject of a moratorium at my old radio station--half a decade after its release, people were playing it so damn much that the music department had to order them not to. "Teen Love" was another song with which they could have done that, but didn't, for some reason. I always felt that the Flux album was so good that people ought to play it often enough to invoke a moratorium, but looking back I think maybe I was the only one who liked Flux. So it goes.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 March 12, 2100-2300:
- "Real Cool Time" | The Stooges | The Stooges | Elektra
- "Televised Green Smoke" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art [reissue] | Planet E - Rush Hour
- "Sun" | Caribou Vibration Ensemble | CVE Live 2011 | Caribou Vibration Ensemble
- "M.O.P. (Movement of the People) Political Statement Number 1" | Fela Anikulapo Kuti & Egypt 80 | Live in Amsterdam | MCA - Universal
- "Quantum Shift on Plague Mothership" | Blown Out | Drifting Way Out Between Suns | Riot Season | "Croix de Bombast"
- "Do You Love Me? (Part 2)" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Let Love In | Mute - BMG
- "Teen Love" | No Trend | Teen Love EP | No Trend
- "Madonna, Sean and Me" | Sonic Youth | EVOL | DGC
- "Lateral Oracle" | You Still Have Friends | Near Memory | Finity
- "Children Who Know" | Flux | Uncarved Block | One Little Indian
next time: contemplation and rubber bands. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Don't let the short track list fool you. This is a full-length program in which I overcompensate for the previous one by doing as little as possible. It's playlist reporting time, and I just don't like writing down all the start times and durations of everything I do. Make of that what you will.
Anyway, it's a busy time so I can't conceptualize things. This turned out to be a pretty decent show somehow, thanks in large part to that Campbell Irvine record (and CD). These two hours sound like the Old Days, a little bit, I guess because mostly they are. No time to be wistful about things that are gone--the real world is calling, even if it is just butt-dialing me.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 March 10, 2100-2300:
- "Prologue / How to Get Your Band on Television" | Chumbawamba | Pictures Of Starving Children Sell Records: Starvation, Charity And Rock & Roll - Lies & Traditions | Agit Prop
- "B52 (live)" | The Perfect Disaster | Heaven Scent | Fire
- "Reunion of Two Bodies" | Campbell Irvine | Reunion of Two Bodies | Infrastructure New York | "Physical Evidence"
- "Magic Lamp" | Breathless | Blue Moon | Tenor Vossa
- "People" | Boyd Rice and Friends | Music, Martinis and Misanthropy | New European Recordings
- "Terms of Propaganda" | Campbell Irvine | Reunion of Two Bodies | Infrastructure New York | "Physical Evidence"
- "Protection" | Cabaret Voltaire | 2x45 | Rough Trade
- "Cosmic Slop" | Funkadelic | Greatest Hits 1976-81 | Charly
- "O Kou" | Stanislas Tohon | Dans le Tchink Systeme | Hot Casa
next time: do I still have friends? Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Thanks for joining me on a visit to Tepid Peppermint Wonderland, and other places. MANY other places, on this night--a reckless choice to play so many tunes rapid-fire during a "playlist reporting period," but I guess you know me by now. [If you don't, hello! I'm Kid Catharsis and welcome to my podcast site.]
Apparently I was on a Shriekback kick at around this time, so that explains that. It might also explain the fact that I tried to cue one of their songs on air while somebody else's song was playing, but, again, we both know better. Sorry. Fortunately I seem to be in this pattern wherein one thing goes wrong in each program, and that was it, as far as I can recall. Finally, it's taken me a long time to come around, but Peter Buck was right: Pylon's "Crazy" is better than anything on Chronic Town. Greatness doesn't extrapolate backward, after all, does it? Is there a lesson in that, for me? Probably not.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 March 3, 2100-2300:
- "Bric Brac" | Piero Umiliani | Tra scienza e fantascienza | We Release Whatever The Fuck We Want
- "Cathartica" | Nedelle Torrisi | Advice from Paradise | Ethereal Sequence
- "Blush" | The Cherry Wave | Blush EP | Saint Marie
- "Gruesome Castle" | The Wake | Here Comes Everybody | Factory Benelux
- "Kung Fu Fighting" | Robyn Hitchcock | Alvin Lives (In Leeds) | Midnight
- "Talk - Action = Shit" | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Tepid Peppermint Wonderland Volume 2 | A Recordings
- "Midnight Maps" | Shriekback | Evolution | Kaz | "Physical Evidence"
- "Both Sides Now" | Leonard Nimoy | The Way I Feel | Dot
- "Disparo de Amor" | Axolotes Mexicanos | Holi <3 | Elefant
- "C U In Hell" | DUST | C U In Hell | Mannequin
- "Don't Cry" | Yung | Alter | Tough Love
- "Zero Emission" | Wild Billy Childish & CTMF | Acorn Man | Damaged Goods
- "Ringfinger" | H. Hawkline | In the Pink of Condition | Heavenly
- "Lines from the Library" | Shriekback | Evolution | Kaz | "Physical Evidence"
- "Deja Vu - Beatless" | Vince Watson | Deja Vu | Ovum
- "Alibi II" | Afrikan Sciences | Circuitous | Pan
- "Step Inside" | Simon Haydo | Corrupted from Memory | Studio Barnhus
- "Book of Five" | L/F/D/M | M Is a Shape | Ecstatic
- "Simpleton Leave Violence" | Tappa Zukie | Tapper Roots | Kingston Sounds
- "Wanderlust" | Chrisma | Chinese Restaurant | Spittle
- "I Won't Go Back to Work" | The Explosives | The Explosives | Munster
- "It's That Time Again" / "Constipation Blues" | Screamin' Jay Hawkins & The Fuzztones | Live | Midnight
- "Hand on My Heart (12" Version)" | Shriekback | Evolution | Kaz | "Physical Evidence"
- "Wasted Dawn" | Magic Island | Wasted Dawn | Mansions and Millions
- "Yori Yoyo" | Oorutaichi | Drifting My Folklore | Streamline
- "Despite Dense Weed" | Shriekback | Evolution | Kaz | "Physical Evidence"
- "XIII" | Taiko | Perfect Wait | Subaltern
- "Crazy" | R.E.M. | 7in-83-88 | I.R.S.
- "Dead Souls" | Gang of Four | What Happens Next | Metropolis
- "A Baby Got Back on Its Feet" | The House of Love | Live At the Lexington | Cherry Red
- "We Will Need Each Other" | Schneider Kacirek | Shadows Documents | Bureau B
- "Crazy" | Pylon | Chomp More | DFA
next time: fewer, slower, longer. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
As promised, here is one of those programs that happens on a day when I just stop caring. So of course it is EXCELLENT. Lessons are only for those who can learn, so don't expect this to be the new thing. No "Physical Evidence," no "Listening Parlour," no "Hall of Vengeance," and no clue. "This was quieter than usual," the Senior Catharses tell me. Really? I didn't think so at the time, and still don't, but whatever "it" is I come by it honestly.
A little over a week after the fact, I find myself enjoying this one quite a bit. I don't know if this is part of my new "accept yourself" strategy or actual merit in the program, but it feels good, so I'm going to go ahead. Notes: DJ Kristi reminded me not too long ago how great those early Simple Minds records were. Those Shriekback / PWEI songs were certainly chestnuts for me back in the day. Did you know--I had a chance to see Shriekback in a tiny little campus coffeehouse, capacity ~200, back in Fall 1985 but opted instead to attend some politics lecture for extra credit in a class. PRIORITIES: I guess I had them once? I have warmed to that MBV record. I genuinely have no idea how that particular M83 song made it into the show, but that's part of the "magic." Finally, everyone, say hello to the Roots Nyabingi Brigade, straight from Babylondon!
I remember nothing about that lecture. Thanks, academia.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 February 24, 2100-2300:
- "Theme for Great Cities" | Simple Minds | Sister Feelings Call | Virgin
- "Malaria" / "Everything That Rises Must Converge" | Shriekback | Oil and Gold | Island
- "Happy Cycling" | Boards of Canada | Peel Session | Warp
- "New Era" | Shells | In a Cloud | Life Like
- "Keep Your Dreams" | Suicide | Suicide | Red Star
- "Ratts of the Capital" | Mogwai | Happy Songs for Happy People | Matador
- "To Forgive But Not To Forget" | Outside | Rebirth of Cool 4 | Island
- "Kiss Of Def" | The Durutti Column | Obey the Time | Factory Once
- "Wonder 2" | My Bloody Valentine | M B V | MBV
- "Cosmic Jugalbandi (part 1 based on Raga Bhupali)" | Suns of Arqa | Solar Activity 1979-2001 | EMI
- "Guitar Voodoo" | The Darkside | All That Noise | Situation Two
- "One Flesh" | The Chameleons | John Peel Sessions | Blue Apple
- "Woy-Oh YaYa (Dubplate)" | Roots Nyabingi Brigade | Bring Downa Babylondon | self-released
- "Written on the Forehead" | PJ Harvey | Let England Shake | Vagrant
- "Bleach" | Little Annie & The Legally Jammin' | Little Annie & The Legally Jammin' | Italic
- "Boy Go" | The Golden Palominos | Visions of Excess | Celluloid
- "Up!" | M83 | Saturdays = Youth | Mute
- "524 Fidelio" | The Wedding Present | Back A Bit...Stop! (German Version) | This Will Be Our Summer
- "Everything That Rises" | Pop Will Eat Itself | Love Missile F1-11 (Designer Grebo Megamix) | Chapter 22
- "I Put A Spell On You" | Screamin' Jay Hawkins & The Fuzztones | Live | Midnight
next time: safe harbor. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Welcome, friends, to the Griot Hour. Or what should have been, had DJ Godfrey not been blessed with some real work. Does this count as hero time? No, it is me time. As I say in the opening, I'm out after curfew, not to observe Lundi Gras or Mardi Gras (only thing "gras" around here is my sense of self-importance) but instead Jhonn Balance's (would-be) birthday. This is what devotion demands.
Anyway, it might well have been "nine below zero"; it was a couple of weeks ago. February was a historically cold month in the listening area, and at this time of writing I have to say I have finally had it with winter. My gym's closed on account of flooding from burst pipes and I'm on a real serotonin low. I'm told I should avoid alcohol and caffeine so as not to inhibit what little comes my way; you might as well tell me to drink the blood of yaks or something. Good grief. Don't be surprised if some real "FTS" programs start happening.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 February 16, 2300-0100 February 17:
- "Wrong Eye" | Coil | Unnatural History III | Threshold House | "Physical Evidence"
- "Thriller Killer" | Maestro | Thriller Killer | Tigersushi
- "Remote Control Memory" | Double Knots | Double Vision EP | International Feel
- "Transition >T<" | Karl Hector & The Malcouns | Unstraight Ahead | Now-Again
- "Irish" | The Fall | Re-Mit | Cherry Red
- "(Take Me to the) Mardi Gras" | Bob James | (Take Me to the) Mardi Gras | Get On Down
- "Baby Food" | Coil | Unnatural History III | Threshold House | "Physical Evidence"
- "Pulsar" | Mind Against & Locked Groove | Elysium / Pulsar | Hotflush
- "Chambre Bleue" | Saschienne | Golden Prints | Kompakt
- "Lost Rivers of London" | Coil | Unnatural History III | Threshold House | "Physical Evidence"
- "Der Amboss" | Visage | Fade to Grey - The Singles Collection | Polydor - Polygram
- "Wa-Wa" | Manu Dibango | Africadelic | Aurora
- "Nova Scotia" | Ultramarine | Every Man And Woman Is A Star | Rough Trade
- "Stories" | Shortcircles X Parks Burton | Impossible Architecture | Hush Hush
- "Meaning What Exactly?" | Coil | Unnatural History III | Threshold House | "Physical Evidence"
- "Torpedo" | Tijuana Panthers | Wayne Interest | Innovative Leisure
- "All Fall Away (demo)" | Lost Girls | Lost Girls | 3 Loop
- "Bewitched" | The Wedding Present | Bizarro | Edsel
- "Nine Below Zero" | Muddy Waters | Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live | Music On Vinyl
- "Lykk Trep - R Hi - Lose" | Papir | Live at Roadburn | El Paraiso
- "Scope" | Coil | Unnatural History III | Threshold House | "Physical Evidence"
next time: forgetting without forgiving. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
As I age I have to admit that I know less and less about more and more. So I cannot say whether any of this program's selections clear the "psychedelia" bar as perhaps they should have done, given that I was filling in for Dusty Visions on this night. They were certainly long, though! I think I just said "screw it" and went with a bunch of chestnuts.
So, naturally, this was a pretty good program. It's weird how sometimes a segue will make total sense when I am planning it out, then sound terrible in the moment, and then sound good again when I listen to the show later. Perception! Subjectivity! I can't even deal, I'm telling you. Oh, but I finally got a chance to air, in its fullness, the In Camera tune that serves as the "Hall of Vengeance" underscoring. So we managed to accomplish something on this night.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 February 15, 2100-2300:
- "A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Center of the Ultraworld" | The Orb | The BBC Sessions 1989-2001 | Universal - Island
- "Snake in the Grass" | The Black Angels | Directions to See a Ghost | Light in the Attic
- "What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 2)" | DJ Shadow | Preemptive Strike | FFRR
- "Afrodisco Beat" | Tony Allen & Afrika 70 | Progress | Kindred Spirits
- "The Graves at Lamphead" | Buick | Sweatertongue | Lather
- "Poetic Dub" | Linton Kwesi Johnson | LKJ in Dub Volume 3 | LKJ
- "Imidiwaren" | Tinariwen | The Radio Tisdas Sessions | Modern Classics
- "Just A Little Boy (For Chester Burnett)" | Swans | To Be Kind | Young God
- "Ants Are Cavemen" | Thin White Rope | When Worlds Collide | Munster
- "Mama Liza" | Konono No. 1 | Congotronics | Crammed Discs
- "The Fatal Day" | In Camera | Fin | 4AD
next time: sidereal sound. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis