Surprise! You probably thought you were rid of me for two weeks, but fate and jetBlue Airlines have made you their bitch. Because here I am, along with Junior, in Ithaca when we should be in California, and delivering an unfavorable substitute to a very in-favor program.
Notes: at one point in the show I use the phrase "hotel airport," of which I am sure there is one somewhere, but Syracuse is not such a place. We got an almost-free meal out of it, and that is the absolute best that can be said. We also discussed libertarian eclipse preparation, about which I seem to have been wrong, at least locally: eclipse glasses were given out freely at the local observatory, while in stock (nevertheless I missed out). I'll be damned, though, if there isn't some backwater town somewhere in the "path of totality" where you had to pay for them. I'd bet money on it, if I had money. ALSO I haven't bothered to fact-check that eclipse in '93 or '94 that I referred to, so I'm not sure whether El Paso was "in the path" or not. Waiting to sit with that embarrassment, when it comes, as it surely will. Finally, I will never understand the fascination with female voices on the radio--some listener wrote in asking Junior's age, while mine, to my knowledge, has never been a matter for speculation among our listeners. At any rate, Junior delivers the perfect answer; you will just have to listen for it.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 August 5, 1900-2100:
- "Gangri" | Fontan | Fontan | Hoga Nord
- "Nautilus" | Fontan | Fontan | Hoga Nord
- "Sen Sen No Sen" | Fontan | Fontan | Hoga Nord
- "Shadows" | Fontan | Fontan | Hoga Nord
- "Sympathy For The Devil" | The Rolling Stones | Beggars Banquet | London
- "No Expectations" | The Rolling Stones | Beggars Banquet | London
- "Dear Doctor" | The Rolling Stones | Beggars Banquet | London
- "Parachute Woman" | The Rolling Stones | Beggars Banquet | London
- "Jig-Saw Puzzle" | The Rolling Stones | Beggars Banquet | London
- "C'est Le Vent" | Modern Cosmology | Summer Long | Elefant
- "The Source" | Modern Cosmology | Summer Long | Elefant
- "Djakarta 3001 - Short Version" | Komodo Kolektif | Sumantras | Invisible Inc
- "Relaxing Mood" | King Tubby & The Aggrovators | Dubbing in the Backyard | Pressure Sounds
- "Adventure" | King Tubby & The Aggrovators | Dubbing in the Backyard | Pressure Sounds
- "Warm Weather" | King Tubby & The Aggrovators | Dubbing in the Backyard | Pressure Sounds
- "Summers Eve" | King Tubby & The Aggrovators | Dubbing in the Backyard | Pressure Sounds
- "Easy Mood" | King Tubby & The Aggrovators | Dubbing in the Backyard | Pressure Sounds
- "Yawneb Pt. 1" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "The Crystal World" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "The Singing Towers" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "Interzone Bureau Desk" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "Like Night and the New Sea" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "The Dead Past" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "Tanis Ark" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "Telassar" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
- "Yawneb Pt. 2" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Two Orb Reel | More Than Human
for you, America
SHEDDING STEWARDSHIP of the Bombastic web archive, it is I, Guy LeBatard, with what is my last ever transmission, for now. Whether I knew it at the time doesn't matter, but it sounds like I did. Boring as it already was to push these sausages through the tube on schedule, apparently the following Sunday was "another dreadful day of sunlight and warmth," so I ghosted. I wonder if Captain Halcyon did a program, but it's not my responsibility. This transmission is "good" where it needs to be and "bad" where it is meant to be. Since there are no endings in nature, and we lack the bravery to face those we construct, let's say that someday I may return spontaneously. kid catharsis has a phrase about this that he is saving for his own time, so as a grudging bourgeois gesture in recognition of his hospitality, I will not steal it.
U_D_M playlist, 2017 February 19, 1700-1800:
- "Frankfurt Advice - Heretic Remix" | Andrew Weatherall | Consolamentum | Rotter's Golf Club
- "Keep Pushin - Session Victim Remix" | Boris Dlugosch | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | Hafendisko
- "Moqui Marble" | Bjorn Storig | 10 Years Stil Vor Talent Presented By Oliver Koletzki | Stil Vor Talent
- "Hang Out" | Steven Wobblejay | Hang Out EP | Quintessentials
- "Narcotic Luv" | Javi Redondo | Correspondant Compilation 04 | Correspondant
- "Overview Effect - Luke Hess Remix" | Richard Fearless | Overview Effect Remixes | Drone
- "Room(s)" | The Friend | Balearic Fisting / Fuck Sunsets | Clan Destine
- "Decade" | Thyladomid | 10 Years Diynamic | DIYnamic
- "Floating Pressure" | Niko Schwind | 10 Years Stil Vor Talent Presented By Oliver Koletzki | Stil Vor Talent
conduct around constructs
STILL IN CONTROL of the Bombastic web archive, it is I, Guy LeBatard, whether you like it or not. If not, make your own adventures. This broadcast did happen on a "dark afternoon"--sadly my appointed time of day was becoming brighter and brighter, and my brief season of transmitting was nearing its end. But this is a good program, suitable for whatever! Vertical, orizzontal, diagonal, your activities may vary. A technical note: I didn't know and couldn't decide how to pronounce Ryan Crosson's name, but on reflection I do prefer "croissant." Ryan--I do not love you because you are tasty; you are tasty because I love you. Think on this.
U_D_M playlist, 2017 February 12, 1700-1800:
- "Bambi Hands" | Ryan Crosson | MDRNTY001 | MDRNTY
- "I Don't Want To Watch You Read - The Golden Filter Remix" | Marc Houle | Silver Siding EP | Innervisions
- "Orizzonte" | Luca Ballerini | Dots & Pearls 3 | Coccon
- "Abstract of Expression" | The Durutti Column | Fidelity | Les Disques du Crepuscule
- "E" | Prins Thomas | Principe Del Norte | Smalltown Supersound
- "Screaming With A Blocked Nose" | Arnaldo | Psychic Advisor | Smallville
- "E to E - Ge-Ology Remix feat MdCL" | Adesse Versions | Push It Along EP | Heist
- "Waiting Ground" | Frank & Tony | Waiting Ground | Scissor & Thread
i love narcotics
YOU ARE LOOKING LIVE at a post by Guy LeBatard, accompanying another sonic adventure in mindless hedonism. "This unfolds" now, wherever you happen to be, but its "original" airing, if it was not always already happening somewhere in block time, was on the day of The Big Football Game. Not that the association means anything, but "real" time listeners got a taste of the violence of spectacle prior to the spectacle of violence, if in fact there is a relevant difference.
Bring on the rotary cocktails and permanent vacations!
U_D_M playlist, 2017 February 5, 1700-1800:
- "Nehmet und Esset" | Deo & Z-Man | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | Hafendisko
- "This Unfolds" | Four Tet | There Is Love In You | Domino USA
- "Die Wiederkehr" | Obscure Shape & SHDW | Realm of Consciousness | Afterlife
- "Dawn 808" | Lawrence | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | Hafendisko
- "Wee Hours" | Echonomist | Dusk EP | Rotary Cocktail
- "The Lattice" | Petar Dundov | At The Turn of Equilibrium | Music Man
- "South of Mel" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "Brooklyn Bridge" | Alex Burkat | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
expression of the abstract
From the end of the world--do we dare to dream?--it is Guy LeBatard, bringing you another hour of my "less easily decipherable than I thought" program. Since all culture is simultaneous now I won't bother with telling you what "was" happening when I spun these tunes, but I can assure you that this abdication is NOT because I don't "remember." What is happening NOW is what matters, if anything does. <RON HOWARD NARRATOR VOICE: "It doesn't."
U_D_M playlist, 2017 January 29, 1700-1800:
- "Dawn - Green Mix" | Joris Voorn | This Story Until Now | Green
- "Water Vein - DJ Yogurt & Moja Remix" | Asian Psilocybe Foundation | Water Vein EP | Mental Groove
- "Freudian Slip" | Arnaud Rebotini | Zone 27: Danger Zone - EP | Vinyl Factory
- "Acidwave" | Omar V & Mario Aparicio | Vi kal it AEsid | Full Pupp
- "Autopop" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "N.2guts" | Einzelkind & Robin Scholz | Cocoon Compilation P | Cocoon
- "Frequency Graven" | Drafted | Frames From the Lake EP | Balans
- "Surf Smurf - Rebolledo Short Version" | Munk & Rebolledo | Mushroom House EP1 | Toy Tonics
- "Ping-Pong" | The Durutti Column | The Return of the Sporadic Recordings | Kooky
3,000 miles east of Mel
Bonjour! Guy LeBatard, checking in with another program from the "distant" past. The pipeline is drying up. We are nearing the end. But here is an hour's worth of good "entertainment," or whatever. Were I the type to write long treatises--I never "showed much promise," or so they told me--I would figure out whether I find it more distasteful that music is made to be used as a backdrop for some other activity or that some musicians insist that you give their product your full attention.
It is a good thing that I am not that type!
Anyway, kid catharsis tells me that this was a very satisfying listen while he was punishing himself on the arc-trainer, so I suppose we are to trust him?
U_D_M playlist, 2017 January 8, 1700-1800:
- "Electrica Salsa (feat. Sven Vath) [Roman Flugel Remix]" | Off | Electrica Salsa Revisited (feat. Sven Vath) | Cocoon
- "Four Squares" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "St3am" | Nico Purman | Pattern Recognition | Vakant
- "Frustration" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "No Fool" | Tensnake | Freundchen EP | True Romance
- "Should I Stay" | Magdalena | 10 Years DIYnamic | DIYnamic
- "I Gave My Love (Shan & Gerd Janson Edit)" | Move D | Move D Presents House Grooves Vol. 1 | Misfit Melodies
- "Differentiator" | Gregor Tresher & Petar Dundov | Spike | Cocoon
- "Lolog" | Alex Under | Kompakt: Total 16 | Kompakt
gonna take you right into the
Guy LeBatard here, wishing you the best of luck in 2017. I was spending the holidays "down south," with the Catharsis family. Some of "kid's" clumsiness must have rubbed off on me. This is a clumsy hour and a dreaded symmetrical selection. Plus, I played the same Carl Craig tune for the second program in a row. "Honor thy error as a hidden intention?" Get stuffed, Brian Eno, and go back to making music for shopping malls or whatever it is you do.
U_D_M playlist, 2017 January 1, 1700-1800:
- "Orion - Luci's Travel" | Luciano | Alma Sounds | Cadenza
- "Interstellar" | Hugh Mane | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
- "At Les" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "Impressions of a Dawn (Alba in 4/4)" | Luca Ballerina | Dots & Pearls 3 | Coccon
- "The Change - Jacques Renault Remix" | Baldo | The Change | Good Ratio
- "Disappear" | Julia Govor & Kamran Sadeghi | Dots & Pearls 3 | Coccon
- "Border" | Matthew Styles | Metro | Ostgut Ton
- "False Readings On" | Eluvium | False Readings On | Temporary Residence Limited
Happy holidays, from Guy LeBatard! No doubt, the more pedantic among you will point out that it is currently August, but time means nothing to me. Please find attached a program that I did...sometime. It strikes me, in retrospect, as rather pleasing. Though I sound a bit down "on tape," I was delivering appropriate mindlessness for the listening area, and beyond.
I am discovering that a trait I share with kid catharsis, who "hosts" this archive, is a desire for shallowness of affect above all things. Is it standing in for authenticity, humility, lack of commercial appeal? This could certainly be. Words, effort, "balls-out" commitment--I don't know what to do with these, in all honesty. I prefer states of being, undisturbed. A death wish? That's for someone else to figure out, in their free time.
U_D_M playlist, 2016 December 18, 1700-1800:
- "Timebomb - VIP Mix" | John Tejada | Timebomb | Palette
- "Prelog Strain" | Init | Correspondant Compilation 04 | Correspondant
- "At Les" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "Broncos - Natureboy Gold & Marlon Hoffstadt Rework" | Marlon Hoffstadt | Coach Mike | Retrograde
- "Trans-Atlantic Journey? We've Been Here!" | Damon Bell | Stand By Me EP | Burek
- "Hedione" | La Fleur | Hedione EP | Watergate
- "Poseidon" | Woo York | Realm of Consciousness | Afterlife
- "2nd Movement" | Johannes Brecht | 10 Years DIYnamic | DIYnamic
- "Seaside Special" | Fantastic Man | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
impressions of Don
Punching in once again, I am Guy LeBatard. Being a "radio regular," and chronicling that regularity, made me a little bit sick, looking back. And we shouldn't look back anyway. So I did not, but at the moment I am feeling dragged back into responsibility by forces I do not understand. It seems I can only quet them by pressing onward.
What sort of spectacular fascination you might craft from this hour of radio escapes me, but what's new? I find the content here a bit more "organic" than usual, without the segues necessarily being that way. Conscious resistance? Sure, we can call it that. Words don't mean anything anymore.
U_D_M playlist, 2016 November 13, 1700-1800:
- "Love Cry" | Four Tet | There Is Love In You | Domino USA
- "Jekaterinburg" | Adriatique | 10 Years DIYnamic | DIYnamic
- "New York, New York" | Ponty Mython | Deep Love 100 | Dirt Crew
- "Emeralds" | Locked Groove | Realm of Consciousness | Afterlife
- "The Choice" | Redshape | Cocoon Compilation P | Cocoon
- "Miami Logic" | Metronomy | Summer 08 | Because Music
- "Psycho Hub" | Matthew Oh | Psycho Hub EP | Taped Artifact
- "Solitaire" | Quenum | Solitaire | Cadenza
- "Ivys Boogie" | Prins Emanuel | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
we've been here
Currently having a lot of thoughts about time. This is the final broadcast before the Catharsis Family goes on vacation. We haven't done this in FIVE YEARS. Much has changed since then. BOMBAST was not a thing in summer 2012--for that matter, WRFI was barely a thing. I was a "gentleman of leisure" at the time--I guess that's called "taking a gap year" now, though mine was more than a year. I almost went feral. I would have been happy to stay in the wilds of California and never return to society.
Listening back to this program was strangely dissociative (dissociating?). Though it is SO RECENT (we're all caught up, for a fleeting moment) I seem to remember none of it. What was I doing at the time? How had I chanced upon these tunes? While I'm doing my own (poor) David Byrne imitation, I'm going to find an arbitrary, unrelated hill that I'm willing to die on--"The Overload" sounds more like Joy Division, in style and substance (even though reportedly the band had only heard about JD) than 90% of "postpunk" strivers. Read someone dissing this track yesterday and I just won't have it.
Things get rough toward the end, or perhaps just lazy, but it's all good.
See you August 16.
BOMBAST playlist, 2017 July 26, 2100-2300:
- "007 Shanty Town" | Desmond Dekker | Monkey Business | Trojan
- "Zhao Hua" | HVAD & Pan Daijing | Mono No Aware | PAN
- "Empty Chamber" | Grails | Chalice Hymnal | Temporary Residence Limited
- "Throwing Lines" | Kelly Lee Owens | Kelly Lee Owens | Smalltown Supersound
- "Splatter" | LTGL | The Gold Play | Tangram
- "Coming Down" | Bowery Electric | Beat: 20th Anniversary Edition | kranky
- "Filthy Sun in Diminished Light" | Cindytalk | The Labyrinth of the Straight Line | Editions Mego
- "Ascension" | The Comet Is Coming | Death to the Planet | Leaf
- "That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate" | Mission of Burma | Vs. | Matador
- "I Live in Eastcote" | Brian Harris | Washed Up Man | self-released
- "Dead West" | Moon Duo | Killing Time [reissue] | Sacred Bones
- "Kelmeh Oula" | Kinematik | Ala' | Ruptured
- "Fracture" | Kailin | Fracture | Mistry
- "Cosmic Child" | Greg Shepherd | Divine EP | Finefood
- "Je Ne Veux Pas Travailler" | Unkonwn Artist | unknown album | unknown label | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Dandelions" | Terminal Cheesecake | Dandelion Sauce of the Ancients | Box
- "Contact the Fact" | Lyfe Indoors | New Dark Age, A Tribute to the Sound | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Space Movement Section 4" | Creation Rebel | Starship Africa [reissue] | On-U Sound
- "Citizen Lane" | Orange Crate Art | Quantum Distortion in Empty Space | self-released
- "Another Dark Hour" | Noveller | A Pink Sunset For No One | Fire
- "Memories" | Stefano Ghittoni & DJ Rocca | Atemporal Space Tests | Schema
- "Night Moves" | Basic Rhythm | The Basics | Type
- "Real Man" | Gnod | JUST SAY NO TO THE PSYCHO RIGHT-WING CAPITALIST FASCIST INDUSTRIAL DEATH MACHINE | Rocket
- "///" | Second Woman | S/W | Spectrum Spools
- "Beat on the Brat" | Between the Cities Are Stars | Here Today, Gone Tomorrow, A Ramones Reverence | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Sunclue" | Samuel Rohrer | Range of Regularity | Arjunamusic
- "Strangers" | Raphael Danilo | Strangers | Pauls Musique
indifference on the wind