In part 2 of their Hall of Legends induction, Coil provide a soundtrack for the Spring Equinox. A "stealth" tribute* continues. I almost mislead listeners into thinking the late R. L. Burnside once played guitar in the Cocteau Twins--or maybe it was that Robin Guthrie was a foul-mouthed Mississippi blues curmudgeon, and not a foul-mouthed Scottish post-punk curmudgeon. In other words, it is a typical week of arbitrary, dogged self-indulgence.
I realized while the show was airing that I would have very little to say about it, Ellen Allien having fried my brain each time I heard her new piece. Hopefully you emerge from the experience more intact. The odds favor it.
The big news is that, for a couple of reasons, the BOMBAST phenomenon is moving to Saturday afternoon. While the obsolescence of our "hump night" poster [just visit the facebook page and scroll down] saddens us, we see this move as a positive thing. In the pre-internet era of WRFI, we think there are probably more listeners at that time, and we are trying to minimize our "canned" programming on the weekends. I am still trying to figure out what this contingent of listeners will hear, since I feel a decent percentage of what I play is "nocturnal" music, but it will come, and if it doesn't, I will force it.
Hopefully the "extra" show makes up for "legendary lost program" #19. I spend my time looking for little signs that its disappearance won't haunt me for life. Thank you for humoring me.
BOMBAST playlist, 2013 March 20, 8:00 - 10:00 p.m.
- Karl Bartos: "Atomium" [Bureau B]
- New Order: "Confusion (Rough Mix)" [Factory] / "Listening Parlour"
- The Dur-Dur Band: "Amiina Awdaay" [Awesome Tapes from Africa]
- Coil: "Moon's Milk or Under an Unquiet Skull (Part 1) [Eskaton] / "Physical Evidence"
- Dump: "Ode to Shaggs' Own Thing" [Morr Music]
- Robin Guthrie: "Circus Circus" [Darla]
- R. L. Burnside: "See What My Buddy Done" [Fat Possum]
- Blancmange: "22339" [London / Sire] / "Listening Parlour"
- Tape Deck Mountain: "Kellies" [Lefse]
- Zombie Zombie: "The Beach" [Mojo Magazine]
- Coil: "Moon's Milk or Under an Unquiet Skull (Part 2)" [Eskaton] / "Physical Evidence"
- Ellen Allien: "LISm" [BPitch Control]
- Le Carousel: "Winter Months" [Phil Kieran Records]
* not that stealthy.
Share | Download(Loading)