This episode is another instance of life giving me just about what I deserve. I was filling in for "Exterior Realms" (as I do way too often these days) and DJ Midwife, whose show preceded mine, took it upon herself to spin my first record. This is standard operating procedure at the station by the way, and applies to everyone's program but mine, this exception being a source of confusion and bemusement to all. Launched into the the world without asking to be, I had no choice but to improvise my way forward. It WAS midwifery.
It was mostly going pretty well until I miscued a Smiths record, and after that I kind of didn't want to know. I'm not sure how many mistakes I made--after the first one it more or less doesn't matter. That is a DEEP PERSONAL ISSUE and I should get it examined.
A historical note: that Tinderbox album by Siouxsie and the Banshees is just really, really great. I remember this one falling through the cracks, as it were--the hardcore Siouxsie fans thinking it was too "pop," pop enthusiasts finding it too weird and depressing ("she doesn't even sing in tune," etc). Punk Rockers! Squares! You were all wrong about this! I am doing it right! Be more like me!
BOMBAST playlist, 2016 June 18, 2100-2300:
- "Bitter" | Lush | Origami | 4AD
- "Weya" | Manu Dibango | Africafunk: The Original Sound Of 1970s Funky Africa | Harmless | "Physical Evidence"
- "Grey Melody" | Microworld | Orange Sun | Curle
- "The Sweetest Chill" / "This Unrest" / "Cities in Dust" | Siouxsie & The Banshees | Classic Album Selection Volume Two | Polydor
- "Alpha Wheel" | Lone | Levitate | R & S
- "Hail the King" | Walli & The Afro Caravan | Africafunk: The Original Sound Of 1970s Funky Africa | Harmless | "Physical Evidence"
- "Circle VIII (Fraud)" | Pact Infernal | The Descent Chapter II | Samurai Horo
- "One Dub - Mix II" | MM Studio | Good Star Dubs | Album Label
- "Skype" | Suzanne Kraft | DJ-Safety | Kitjen
- "The Camera" | Karl Bartos | Communication | Trocadero
- "Larry" | Kevin Hewick | All Was Numbered | Hacienda
- "Fresh" | Alex Gopher | Back to Basics EP | Go 4 Music
- "XTC" | DJ Koze | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | hafendisko
- "Phase Out" | MMOTHS | Luneworks | Because Music
- "Don't Go" | Yaz | Upstairs At Eric's | Mute - Sire | "Listening Parlour"
- "Aruca" | Medicine | Still In a Dream - A Story of Shoegaze | Cherry Red
- "235" | Pearl River Sound | Somed Tapes, Vol. 1 | Seagrave
- "Shakespeare's Sister" | The Smiths | The World Won't Listen [reissue] | Sire
- "Megaton" | Vecchio | Africafunk: The Original Sound Of 1970s Funky Africa | Harmless | "Physical Evidence"
- "She Has A Way" | Little Annie | Trace | Tin Angel
- "Easy Window" | Lust For Youth | Compassion | Sacred Bones
- "Saturday Night" | HQFU | HQFU Mini Album | Instinctive Racoon
- "Ajo" | Peter King | Africafunk: The Original Sound Of 1970s Funky Africa | Harmless | "Physical Evidence"
- "Body" | Anenon | Petrol | Friends of Friends
- "Somebody Up There Likes You" | Simple Minds | New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) | Virgin
- "Charly stories" | Whizz Kid | A Warmer Welcome | digitalDIZZY
- "Splendid Nausea" | Extrawelt | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | hafendisko
this is all we do