Sports radio chuds would call a fixture like this a "trap game." The "birthday episode" was last week. The milestone episode is next week. This is just a low-stakes Wednesday night radio shift, right? Just routine stuff, our usual but always awesome "special time together."
As always, these engagements don't work out as planned (the question, "why do we never plan differently," has never been answered). The studio computers decided to do a Maximum Overdrive on me, which explains why Slowness magically keeps pausing and why at one point Stereolab is playing from two different sources. (It does not explain why I survived to write about the experience). I cannot say I did much better, talking over Karyyn and messing up The Miller Sisters in every possible way.
Since this program was broadcast, 73 days ago now, I've gone on the air 12 times. At the gym I am listening to a transmission from 38 days ago. I'm currently editing a sound file from 31 days ago--5 shows ago. I've had a lot of time and distraction to buffer this awkward experience, and I have to say it's working!
I did get praise for playing Chris and Cosey, as one should! And the segue from David J to Flying Lotus was a special moment. Truly "I Know Not What I Do" but, like the proverbial monkeys working at typewriters I will arbitrarily produce brilliance if you give me enough time.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 December 4, 2100-2300:
- "Sand & Stone" | Slowness | Berths | Schoolkids
- "Italian Shoes Continuum" | Stereolab | Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in The Milky Night (Expanded Edition) | Duophonic / WARP
- "I Am the Sweeper (Macerator Remix)" | Diane Marie Kloba | D.M.K vs S.K.1.2.3 | self-released
- "For the Future" | Elmono | Cooper's Dream EP | Tectonic
- "SEGMENT & THE LINE" | KARYYN | The Quanta Series | Mute
- "The 21st Century Is Killing Me" | The Membranes | What Nature Gives...Nature Takes Away | Cherry Red
- "Home Is Where the Music is" | rRoxymore | Face to Phase | Don't Be Afraid
- "4 Cantos" | Bixiga 70 | Quebra Cabeca | Glitterbeat
- "We Are Coming Home - 2 Paris Septembre Re-edit" | Pat Thomas | Disco Highlife Reedit Series Vol. 2 | Comet
- "Penalties of Love" | Sequoyah Murray | Before You Begin | Thrill Jockey
- "Pictures Of You" | The Royal Landscaping Society | Disintegration Revisited | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "DAY 1" | Islam Chipsy & EEK | Kahraman | 100Copies
- "whisper" | serpentwithfeet | soil | Secretly Canadian
- "Talk To Me" | Chris and Cosey | Songs of Love & Lust [reissue] | Conspiracy International
- "Boganga & sandia" | AMMAR 808 | Maghreb United | Glitterbeat
- "There's No Right Way To Do Me Wrong" | The Miller Sisters | Hillbilly Fillies & Rockin' Chicks | Charly | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Closedown" | Os Gambitos ft. Mari Bonanomi | Disintegration Revisited | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "هيلا Hela" | Carl Gari & Abdullah Miniawy | Whities 023 (The Act Of Falling From The 8th Floor) | Whities"
- "Uneffable" | Creep Show | Uneffable | Bella Union
- "Vernissage Anticonspiratoria" | Repetentes 2008 | Galaxia Fini | Superconscious
- "The Auteur (Redux The Starlet's Cut)" | David J | Missive to an Angel from the Halls of Infamy and Allure | Glass Modern
- "Golden Axe" | Flying Lotus | Presents INFINITY Infinitum Maida Vale Session | WARP
- "Self Stockholm Syndrome" | Bambounou | Musique Ambiante Française - Vol. 2 | Tigersushi
- "I Know Not What I Do" | AFRODEUTSCHE | RR001 | River Rapid
We don't have to become anything else