We made it to the other side of the fundraiser, thank goodness. Also, winter is upon us. At least it is now. Was it a week ago? I don't remember. It might as well have been, how's that? At any rate, once you get past the first 7 minutes or so, this is a well-executed program. After I nearly play "Hot Dog" too early, the worst of it is listening to me struggling to pronounce things. It's good, in a way, that the show has some constants.
That Bhundu Boys record is one of those things I bought way back in the day and which inhabited a sort of trough of indifference in my world. Not good enough to be a chestnut, I thought, and not bad enough to jettison. I'll bet a couple of decades went by in which I didn't even play it once. I've only re-discovered it in the last few years, and it gets better with every listen. It's a sneakily good headphone record--it sounds like there's a flanger on some of the drum reverbs! Crazy production for an otherwise straightforward set of tunes.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 November 11, 2100-2300:
- "What You Used To Know" | CHLLNGR | Form Of Release | Time No Place
- "Baba Munini Francis" | The Bhundu Boys | Shabini | Discafrique | "Physical Evidence"
- "Hot Dog" | Buck Owens | The Other Side Of Bakersfield, Vol. 1 | Bear Family | "Listening Parlour"
- "4PM" | Camera | Remember I Was Carbon Dioxide | Bureau B
- "Up So High" | The Primitives | Spin-O-Rama 7" | Elefant
- "Agnes Revenge" | Objekt | Flatland | PAN
- "Wenhamo Haaneti" | The Bhundu Boys | Shabini | Discafrique | "Physical Evidence"
- "Sandalyon - SaffronKeira ReInterpretation" | Dusty Kid | Omega X | Isolade
- "My Cousin Kim" | The Gun Club | Mother Juno | Bang!
- "Where's The Tambourine?" | The Sex Rays | Midnight Caller 7" | Pinata
- "The Girl From Ipanema" | Big Star | Live In Memphis | Omnivore
- "Pachedu" | The Bhundu Boys | Shabini | Discafrique | "Physical Evidence"
- "Dif Juz" | The Mattson 2 | Agar | Um Yeah Arts
- "Untrust Us" | Capital Children's Choir | The 'Untrust' EP | Vinyl Factory
- "Keiler Aufgang" | Springintgut & F.S. Blumm | The Bird and White Noise | Pingipung
- "Manhenga" | The Bhundu Boys | Shabini | Discafrique | "Physical Evidence"
- "4blend" | (ghost) | A Vast And Decaying Appearance | n5MD
- "Ten Steps Up" | C.A.R. | My Friend | Kill The DJ
- "Fememorde" | Ides of Gemini | Old World New Wave | Sige
- "Unordinary Realities" | Transllusion | The Opening Of The Cerebral Gate | Tresor
- "Lights In My Brain" | Ultramarine | Every Man And Woman Is A Star | Rough Trade
- "Big Man" | Bugs & Rats | Adidas | Feeding Tube
- "Tudo que e solido" | Rakta | 7" | bandcamp self-release
- "St. Christopher 1.3" | 50 Foot Wave | "Night Blooming" - Works In Progress | not on label
- "Inreturn" | Tarwater | Adrift | Bureau B
- "Wake The Nation" | U Roy | Wake The Nation 7" | Jamaican
- "Dai Ndakaziva" | The Bhundu Boys | Shabini | Discafrique | "Physical Evidence"
- "Quixotism Part 5" | Oren Ambarchi | Quixotism | Editions Mego
- "Beach" | Ormonde | Cartographer / Explorer | Gizeh
- "Der Lude" | Phon.o | Werkschau03 | Shitkatapult
- "Grande Finale" | Munk | Chanson 3000 | Gomma
next time: drifting way out between suns. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Share | Download(Loading)