As I write it's day 66 of lockdown--I think. It's getting tougher to count, but at the moment I'm counting March 19 as Day 1 for me, since that's the first day Lady Catharsis and I were ordered to "work from home." You could argue that things started to get weird, rapidly, about 10 days prior to that, but memories of Before are a bit cloudy. I have only written notes to help me recall what this innocent program sounded and felt like.
"I played a lot of beautiful music on this show without necessarily trying to," I wrote. It feels good to read that, and sad at the same time. Maybe in January I was finding more and more confidence. It's gone now. Looking at the playlist I think I was right in the moment.
Caveats: I'm pretty sure I burped in the first voice-over of the evening. The Iftin Band segues didn't sound good on either end. I have not done right by Space Dingus, as well as they slotted into this program. Their album was good and I just didn't get to it. Does lateness mean anything anymore? Maybe there is still hope for me there. There was some post-production magic that I executed between One-Eyed Wayne and Jay Glass Dubs. And it still sounds bad! The sequence ending with James Clarke Five is "weird," apparently, and it's a "good thing the show was flawless after that."
Since this program was broadcast, 136 days ago now, I've gone "on the air" 22 times. I have delivered ten pre-recorded episodes on account of the pandemic. I'm supposed to be editing a sound file from 88 days ago--fourteen shows ago, I guess? I promised myself I would chronicle my tardiness and I am past embarrassment at this point. If these numbers mean anything to you, you're welcome.
Thanks for making it this far, thanks for your patience, and as always thank you for listening.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 January 8, 2100-2300:
- "Sanctuary" | Fushara | The Mystics | Transmute
- "Pétaloïde" | Dosage | Theory of Pink | Les Disques Du Festival Permanent
- "Anthropocene" | Wrangler | Anthropocene | Bella Union
- "U" | Yoshinori Hayashi | Y | Smalltown Supersound
- "Sirmaqabe - No Secrets" | Iftin Band | Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1972-1991) | Analog Africa
- "Makoma" | Onipa | Onipa / Makoma | Strut
- "Rat Laughter" | Space Dingus | Space Dingus | Subjangle
- "The Jean Genie" | David Bowie | The Singles Collection | EMI
- "Dreaming" | Maria Somerville | All My People | No Label
- "A New Chapter" | Cody Currie & Joel Holmes | New Chapter | Toy Tonics
- "Moon Shining Bright" | Pieter Nooten | Se Dire Au Revoir | Rocket Girl
- "L'Heure" | Luminance | Ahead | Medical
- "Repeater" | Moor Mother | Analog Fluids of Solid Black Holes | Don Giovanni
- "You Gave Me a Name - Radio Edit" | The Young Gods | You Gave Me a Name | Two Gentlemen
- "Animation Kifuti (Martin Meissonnier reconstruction)" | Orchestre Bambala | Kinshasa 1978 | Crammed Discs
- "To The Limit" | LFO | Peel Session | WARP
- "Diversa" | Toada | Cambiante | pluma
- "BLK Musak" | Mourning [A] BLKstar | BLK Musak | Don Giovanni
- "Woma Gara" | Mamadou Kelly | Les Bateaux | Claremont
- "YoYo" | One Eyed Wayne | Saucy Postcards Super Creeps | Optic Nerve
- "Laid Down (feat. Yorgia Karidi)" | Jay Glass Dubs | Epitaph | Bokeh Versions
- "Theme from 'The Main Chance'" | James Clarke Five | Parloursounds [reissue] | The Beautiful Music
- "Cromo 4" | Yui Onodera | Pop Ambient 2020 | Kompakt
- "Night Dive" | Space Ghost | Aquarium Nightclub | Tartelet
- "I Know - Tewz Remix" | Gray | Shades of... Anthology | Ubiquity
- "Lifeforce Part I" / "Lifeforce Part II" | The Comet Is Coming | Afterlife | Impulse
- "Brenda" | Leandro Fresco | Pop Ambient 2020 | Kompakt
- "Deolta" | SJ Tequilla | Sanya | Craigie Knowes
Nowadays everything can be denied