With this here transmission I am happy to announce that rarest of occasions, the beginning of a concept. Even better: I didn't know it at the time. On this night I thought I was merely doing an "observance," finally giving June 19 the proper treatment. I am embarrassed to find that I have made radio appearances on this date on two previous occasions; if we were in the mood, we might defend me by saying I was obligated to do "other things," whether it was to continue my segmented induction of Coil into the Hall of Legends or to give a friend airtime for his otherwise unaired music. But let's be honest: at best I was more naive, more delusional then.
So how would I describe myself now? Definitely more "willful." And on this night, four months ago? Definitely determined albeit aimless. Where the Detroit set came from I'll never really know; turns out it's a pretty musical city? Meanwhile I was openly refusing requests on this night, easily impressed with my best segues (which on the night were not great), and doing the best I could with my self-imposed limitations.
In the future, as this one-time thing turns out not to be, things will open up a bit, for better and for worse. A wobbly but successful opening salvo, in the battle against...I don't know, naivete? Surely part of my "unbroken former self" was the knowledge of who I was. Ultimately the journey of this program has to take us "back" there.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 June 19, 2100-2300:
- "(It's Not the Express) It's the J.B.'s Monaurail" | The J.B.'s | Pass the Peas: The Best of the J.B.'s (Reissue) | Polydor
- "African Rhythms" | Oneness of Juju | Africafunk: The Original Sound Of 1970s Funky Africa | Harmless
- "Sanctified" | The Veldt | The Shocking Fuzz of Your Electric Fur - The Drake Equation | Leonard Skully
- "Happy Hour" | Felix Da Housecat | Kittenz And Thee Glitz | City Rockers
- "Butterfly" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "Kung Fu" | The Dirtbombs | Ultraglide In Black | In The Red
- "Let's Go Out Tonight" | John Lee Hooker | The Real Folk Blues: John Lee Hooker | Chess / MCA
- "Donuts (Outro)" / "Workinonit" / "Waves" / "Light My Fire" / "The New" / "Stop" / "People" / "The Diff'rence" | J Dilla | Donuts | Stones Throw
- "Politicians In My Eyes" | Death | ...For the Whole World to See | Drag City
- "She's Alright" | Muddy Waters | Electric Mud | Chess
- "They Gave Me Away" | Champion Jack Dupree | Forever and Ever | Bullseye Blues
- "Third Stone from the Sun" | The Jimi Hendrix Experience | Are You Experienced | Reprise
- "I Snuck Off the Slave Ship" | Lonnie Holley | MITH | Jagjaguwar
Our days of comfort, days of night