One week to go before time stops.
I guess this particular outing is a "grower." It seems forced early on; Kristin Hersh and Mogadisco don’t really go together nicely, for example, nor does Vanitas
follow smoothly. The overall vibe smacks of the insincerity and LARPing that, I feel, characterizes many of these programs from the "before" time. "I like this Africa 70 collection a lot," I say, but I don’t own it. So what is it, other than something to fill airtime in which I may not need to squat, and why should anyone else care?
I may not be the 20-year old idiot who used to play the same handful of Cocteau Twins records every week, but "growth" is overrated. I have settled into a different kind of groove . It’s feeling kind of pointless.
But it could always be worse--there’s a strange urgency to this program that I can hear in the recording. I swear it’s not memory playing tricks on me, because at a baseline level I can barely tell one current show from another at this point. I can only attribute the urgency to this show’s unfolding in real time, with a fiery crash always just around the corner. There is something more than content to these experiences—it’s the capture of a live singularity that’s important, not *what* I play per se.
Or maybe it's just because the records can skip, like the Legendary Pink Dots disc that I play here. "Thanks for sticking with us," indeed.
Since this program was broadcast, 413 days ago now, I've gone "on the air" 56 times. I have delivered 53 pre-recorded episodes on account of the pandemic. Only two more episodes "like this" to go--one to treasure, and one about which you can definitely say, "that happened."
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 March 4, 2100-2300:
- "Tempus Fugit" | Closed Loop | Shepherd Drift | Kahvi Collective
- "Snake Oil" / "Pearl" | Kristin Hersh | Cats and Mice | Kitten Charmer | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Hab Isii" | Omar Shooli | Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1972-1991) | Analog Africa
- "新しい時代, YES!" | VANITAS命死 | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Wasting My Time" | Hannah Cohen | Wasting My Time | Bella Union
- "Tramsystem Battle" | Terror of Evil | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Pretty Nice" | Chicago Odense Ensemble | Chicago Odense Ensemble | El Paraiso
- "Down where it's wetter" | Pandacetamol | Driftwood | Kahvi Collective
- "Allah Wakbarr" | Ofo The Black Company | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Melfuf" | Rizan Said | Saz Û Dilan | Akuphone
- "Kinringjingbin" | Dr Victor Olaiya's International All-Stars | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Gruppe Erdheim" | Fehler Kuti | Schland Is The Place For Me | Alien Transistor
- "Yabis" | Sir Shina Peters And His International Stars | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Carnaval Soca - Antal Edit" | Daniel Dimbas | La Differencia - Antal & Palms Trax Edits | No Label
- "Koladi-Ola" | Yello | Stella | Mercury
- "Moon Two" | Chris Carter | Chemistry Lessons Volume 1 | Mute
- "Laugh/Joy/Happiness" | Diego Esnaurrizar | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Waiting for the Cloud" | The Legendary Pink Dots | Any Day Now [reissue] | Metropolis
- "NORTH" | Evaporated | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Flowers" | Galaxie 500 | Today [reissue] | 20|20|20
- "Tiamat" | Marco Paul | Adonai | Forbidden Colours
- "A Strange Perfume" | The Membranes | What Nature Gives...Nature Takes Away | Cherry Red
- "Triptophan" | Curious Inversions | Shepherd Drift | Kahvi Collective
- "Outro - Wisdom" | Lee "Scratch" Perry | Heavy Rain | On-U Sound
- "Divine Dub (Alpha & Omega Remix)" | Dubzoic feat. Livio Roaring Bass | "Divine" Featuring Fikir Amlak | Steppas
- "Blurry Youth - Elise Reshape" | François X | Irregular Passion Reshaped | Dement3d
- "Dub Conscious" | Digital | Shadows | Function
Now you know our truth