Maybe You Should Know That I Suffer from Sudden, Startling Revelations: Transmission 475, 2019 July 10
It's a shame that I wasn't even drunk at the time of this broadcast. Such a state might have explained utterances like "I'm out of sorts" and "I'm all messed up." These were true statements attempting to excuse my sloppiness and unpreparedness, but in keeping with the times, I was upset about things outside the studio. The situation at "theory camp" had deteriorated further, branching out into ableism and just generally bad academic and leadership practice with what I will only refer to here as "the Hegel incident."
I was full of righteous anger. Check my commentary on the protest against "detention camps" and my call to action. True to my hypocritical form, I wound up not attending this demonstration two nights later. I wonder what my excuse was on that night. It doesn't matter. I wasn't living my best life at this time.
Alternating between good and bad segues, unable to remember the provenance of things, I produced a show that maybe has a few moments but is best left in the past. But all this being said, I do get off a couple of good rants. MOJO magazine did put the recently-deceased Syd Barrett on the cover but not the recently-deceased James Brown, and I don't know how to explain that other than racism or pandering to a racist audience (and is there a difference?); Hot Casa's packaging is a crime. Interesting that I deliver both of these comments with the same fire. It's typical of how shallow I have always been. Not that this will help, but it's a good thing I'm about to go on hiatus for three weeks.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 July 10, 2100-2300:
- "Thank You for Talkin' to Me Africa" | Sly & The Family Stone | Anthology | Epic
- "Sharevari" | The Dirtbombs | Party Store | In The Red
- "I Remember Louder" | transmission 13 | The Edge Of The World | self-released
- "Don't Step on My Shoes" | Ezy & Isaac | Soul Rock | Hot Casa
- "In the Hole" | The Bar-Kays | The Roots of Hip Hop (Music Guide Vol. 2) | Mojo Magazine
- "Patience" | The Funkees | Now I'm a Man | PMG
- "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" | Isaac Hayes | Greatest Hits | Stax
- "Cold World (feat. Opal Onyx)" / "Dear John" | Little Annie | Trace | Tin Angel
- "Fenchurch St." | Renegade Pharmacy | Recovery Position | self-released
- "Zenti Baby" | Eric Random | Two Faced | Klanggalerie
- "Frustration" | Fela Anikulapo Kuti & Afrika 70 | I Go Shout Plenty!!! | Kalakuta Sunrise - Knitting Factory
- "Yallah! Imshi,Imshi" | Brian | Not Retiring | self-released
- "If 6 Was 9" | The Jimi Hendrix Experience | Axis: Bold As Love | Reprise
- "The Boat Is Sinking" | Benjamin Zephaniah | The Zulu Compilation | Zulu
- "Realigned Dub" | African Head Charge | Super Mystic Brakes | On-U Sound
- "Maggot Brain" | Funkadelic | Greatest Hits 1976-1981 | Charly
Many things is on my mind, words is in the way