My notes from this show are brief and (surprise!) quite self-critical. "Djay Pro fucks up The Twilight Sad," I wrote; "I fucked up the segue too....The Wedding Present, as well! It seems to hate them....I messed up 'Minxed Driks.'" So it was a typical night out, it seems. Maybe a little bit rockist, listening back (again and again and again as I have put off writing this "entry"); Meat Beat Manifesto and Stratis don't really seem to fit but without them this show would not really be me. And it must be me because I am it.
On this day--maybe not that much was happening in the world. I think maybe this was the day someone did Pete Buttigieg cosplay, with the presidential candidate whipping a fake Christ on a cross. I have always found Easter LARPing to be the strangest and worst. Locally, the Squirrel Nut Zippers were in town and an alarming number of people my age were excited about this. Re-evaluating our tastes in the 90s seems to be something we were doing in the Spring of 2019. But--not sorry--I was right about the swing revival then and I am right about it now? How's that? I am sure the people who actually attended the gig on this night firmly believe the same thing about themselves. This must be the polarization that everyone is talking about.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 April 17, 2100-2300:
- "Pin Drop" | Meat Beat Manifesto | Pin Drop | self-released
- "Keep It All To Myself" | The Twilight Sad | IT WON'T BE LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME | Rock Action
- "Acknowledgement" | The Mattson 2 | Play "A Love Supreme" | Spiritual Pajamas
- "Heatwave (Coming Towards You)" | Camila Fuchs | Heart Pressed Between Stones | ATP
- "Theatre" | Stratis | New Face | Dark Entries
- "Leave the Planet" | Galaxie 500 | On Fire [reissue] | 20|20|20
- "Girls! Girls! Girls!" | Liz Phair | Girly-Sound to Guyville | Matador
- "Fake Haka For E.C." | Poomse | Come On Feel The NoiZe, Vol. 4 - La Furia | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Guardia Castle" | Gaijin Blues | Gaijin Blues | Shapes of Rhythm
- "Two Faced" | Eric Random | Two Faced | Klanggalerie
- "Rose" | Slowness | Berths | Schoolkids
- "Generation" | Wesqk Coast | S.T.A.S.H. | OOH-Sounds
- "Check Sound Check" | Jac Berrocal / David Fenech / Vincent Epplay | Ice Exposure | Blackest Ever Black
- "Outdoor Miner" | Wire | Chairs Missing | Pink Flag
- "The Revelation Dub" | Alborosie | Alborosie Meets Roots Radics: Dub For The Radicals | Greensleeves
- "Hanging By a Thread" | Cowbell | Damaged Goods (1988-2018) | Damaged Goods
- "The Intruder" | The Senior Service | The Girl In The Glass Case | Damaged Goods
- "Suffocation as a Modern Pretext" | Neurotic Friends | The New Adventures of TBTCI | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Two Bridges" | The Wedding Present | Marc Riley Sessions Volume 2 | Hatch
- "Take Us Home" | Danny Tucker | Take Us Home - Boston Roots Reggae: 1979 to 1988 | Cultures of Soul
- "Enter Silence" | Bremen | Enter Silence | Blackest Ever Black
- "To Pass Through The Walls And Vanish" | Nonconnah | Dead Roses, Digged up Zombies, Broken Pieces of Diamonds, Live Cats | Ernest Jenning Record Co.
- "Minxed Driks" | Ernest Moon | Ba-jesus | BOBOS
- "Eden 1.1" | Croatian Amor | Isa | Posh Isolation
- "Imitation Pearls" | David J | Crocodile Tears And The Velvet Cosh [reissue] | Glass Modern
- "Love Pours Out of My Heart" | Miss Ludella Black | Damaged Goods (1988-2018) | Damaged Goods
- "Drawing of a Lake" | Express Rising | Fixed Rope (II) | Numero Group
- "Bucket List No.2" | Dragon Welding | Dragon Welding | A Turntable Friend
- "The Clown Song" | Thin White Rope | The Ruby Sea [reissue] | Frontier
- "The Uneven Ritual" | K. Leimer | Imposed Order / Imposed Absence | Palace of Lights
- "Mexican Bandits" | Felt | The Splendour of Fear [Reissue] | Cherry Red
- "Into My Arms" | Kill The Moose | Death is not the end... A Tribute to Nick Cave | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "One Flesh" | The Chameleons | What Does Anything Mean? Basically | Blue Apple
- "Good Morning Sir" | Guided By Voices | Zeppelin over China | GBV Inc.
- "Get Clear" | The Room in the Wood | The Mars E.P. | A Turntable Friend
- "Sloppy Homework" | Jah Division | Dub Will Tear Us Apart...Again | Ernest Jenning Record Co.
Live the possible dream