Often enough, people want to occupy the airwaves without occupying the station. Not being able to do the show on a given week, a host will wonder if a previous episode will suffice. Usually the answer is "no." Here's a rationale, lest anyone think I'm just "squashing everyone's good ideas" in accordance with my role as one of the "three white guys" who "run the station": because we need live humans at the station as often as possible, and why not commandeer the booth if the airtime isn't claimed; because previously aired episodes don't reward those "repeat listeners" we all like to think we have; because new djs need to get learned; because letting djs appear at different times of day, to different crowds, helps publicize existing programs. One glance at my facebook page will let you take in the evidence that I am on the path to world domination, by following this latter plan.
At any rate Joe of Joe Show fame was out on this Thursday evening--how nice it must be to have people wanting to celebrate your birthday!--so I couldn't pass up a prime-time opportunity. Did I do anything remotely resembling Joe's show? Apparently not--no themes, no dance parties, no musing (no one cares what I think, at least that is a deeply held belief). A cassette, for god's sake, as the "Physical Evidence"--thank goodness fusion music is better than fusion cuisine. And lest anyone confuse our programs, a 24-minute Croix de Bombast at the end of it all. "You are really separating the wheat from the chaff," General Manager Felix tells me as he settles in to do his program. All the time, son, all the damn time.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 May 7, 1900-2100:
- "Love Your Hair - Hope You Win!" | Shit and Shine | 54 Synth-Brass, 38 Metal Guitar, 65 Cathedral | Rocket
- "New Horizon" | Section 25 | Always Now | Factory Benelux
- "Force and Fire" | Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman | Songs From the Victorious City | China - TVT | "Physical Evidence"
- "Long Range Cruise" | Lars Leonhard | Solar Flares | self-released
- "Next-Door Beauty" | Mia Omorfi Gitonopoula Polyxeni and Kalliopi Litou | Five Days Married & Other Laments: Song and Dance from Northern Greece (1928-1958) | Angry Mom | "Listening Parlour"
- "Immer Gut" | Dave DK | Val Maira | Kompakt
- "Hannah" | Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman | Songs From the Victorious City | China - TVT | "Physical Evidence"
- "Born Bad" | The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion | Freedom Tower - No Wave Dance Party 2015 | Mom + Pop
- "Standing" | good guy mikesh | Year of the Horse | Riotvan
- "Habebe" | Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman | Songs From the Victorious City | China - TVT | "Physical Evidence"
- "Octopus" | Wire | Wire | pinkflag
- "Antiquity" | Blind Idiot God | Before Ever After | Indivisible
- "In a Timeless Place" | Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman | Songs From the Victorious City | China - TVT | "Physical Evidence"
- "So Tender" | Magic Island | Wasted Dawn | Mansions and Millions
- "Like a Daydream" | Ride | OX4 | Sire
- "A Survivor's Tale" | Anne Dudley & Jaz Coleman | Songs From the Victorious City | China - TVT | "Physical Evidence"
- "Honne" | Feonix | Feonix (LP Sampler) | Uprise
- "Virus B-23 (Cities of the Red Night)" | William S. Burroughs | William S. Burroughs - In Dub (Selected by Dub Spencer & Trance Hill) | Echo Beach
- "MARCHROMT30a Edit 2b 96" | Aphex Twin | MARCHROMT30a Edit 2b 96 | Warp
- "Black and Gold" | Hey Colossus | In Black & Gold | Rocket
- "Tokyo Knots" | Oren Ambarchi | Live Knots | PAN
next time: in all honesty, "oh I flew threw the sky" is a phrase worthy of a toddler. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis