I'll begin by saying that we experienced the sublime in this episode. It was fleeting, but you have to take positivity when you get it. Somehow I made Johnny Cash fade into Roni Size gracefully, so there's at least one reason to listen to this episode. Other than that, maybe the set with The Clash and Linton Kwesi Johnson was ok.
Otherwise this episode was pretty close to the nadir. When I wasn't incoherent (I should have just said that I thought the Wanda Jackson CD was from 2004 or something) I was more or less un-PC (I should have kept my mouth shut about the origins of Coil's record and don't know why I didn't). And where I wasn't either of those things I was trampling King Sunny Ade's music (I always seem to) and ruining Lefty Frizzell segues (though I don't know if that's avoidable). I feel like I was visibly and audibly upset here, and this might be rock bottom. I'm think maybe I even scared Lady Catharsis, who is well accustomed to my negativity.
I am a little reassured to find that at this time last year I was doing terrible shows as well. What is it about summer? Wait, I know. Hopefully that is changing soon. At least I can tell you that Lady C and I have done programs since this one, and they've been better.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 August 9, 2100-2300:
- "Longshot Kick the Bucket / Liquidator / Skinhead Moonstomp (The Skinhead Symphony in Three Movements)" | The Specials | The BBC Sessions | EMI
- "Shakin' All Over" | Wanda Jackson | The Party Ain't Over | Third Man
- "Dawning (Version)" | 23 Skidoo | Beyond Time | Les Disques Du Crepuscule
- "Blue Flower" | Mazzy Star | She Hangs Brightly | Capitol Records
- "Secret 77" | Bad Brains | I Against I | SST
- "Black Heart" | Keith Hudson & Soul Syndicate | Heavyweight Sound: A Blood and Fire Sampler | Blood & Fire
- "Mo Beru Agba" | King Sunny Ade | Juju Music | Island Records Ltd.
- "Train to Glory / The Whip" | The Ethiopians | The Original Reggae Hitsound Of The Ethiopians | Trojan
- "Tondibama" | Amadou Balake | Bar Konon Moussou Bar | Kindred Spirits
- "The Kneeling Drunkard's Plea" | Johnny Cash | Love God Murder | Columbia / Legacy / American
- "Ballet Dance" | Roni Size | The Rebirth of Cool Seven | Island
- "Bankrobber / Robber Dub" | The Clash | Black Market Clash | Epic
- "Reality Poem / Wat About Di Workin Claas?" | Linton Kwesi Johnson | In Concert with the Dub Band | LKJ Records
- "Run 'Em Off" | Lefty Frizzell | The Best of Lefty Frizzell | Rhino
- "Lunar Baedeker, Odious Oasis" | Parviz | Zerzura | Omena
- "Summer Wine" | Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood | Fairy Tales & Fantasies: The Best Of Nancy & Lee | Rhino
- "Theme From The Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex" | Coil | The Gay Man's Guide To Safer Sex + 2 | Musique Pour La Danse
- "El Harb" | Aisha Kandisha's Jarring Effects | Shabeesation | Rykodisc
Havin' the tremors in the thighbone