Those of you who hopped on board recently may not know that I used to write album reviews. So I'm telling you: I used to write album reviews. I can't remember whether it was a paid gig--it was not a "living," nor was it an internship; it was most likely aspirational voluntarism. ANYWAY. Once, a good friend said about one of my reviews: "I think you got carried away with your words." I probably did. And this is just my prose. Imagine what my spoken discourse must be like: an automatic writing exercise without the magic, and with sound.
Which brings us to this particular episode of the program, an unusual one for a few reasons. On account of our fall fundraiser, I have a co-host, Domenic [a good co-host, as you will discover--the roster of people I will tolerate in the booth has increased!], and we talk a LOT, you guys. I should not talk this much. More on this topic in a moment. Also it is the "Festival of Evidence" v3.0, and not a particularly well-curated festival, but you can't have everything. I was improvising, and toward the end I limited myself to cds, due to, let's call it, "listener response." Some of these tunes have aired previously on the program, but as Mr. Lee told me when half-heartedly trying to sell me on a compilation that would be redundant for me, "the songs appear in an unfamiliar order, though."
Talking--good grief, where to start. I certainly was interested in discussing the Happy Mondays, something I guess someone has to do. I was unfair to Fugazi. They were easily as important as Pixies, probably moreso as time has passed, but I was a 4AD chump back in the day. I am not proud of it, it's just a disclosure. Also, Gallon Drunk were a great band in the 2000s and are still a great band right at this moment. Finally, I can't speak for Domenic, but I am here to bash NPR, whenever you like. Come get some.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 November 11, 2100-2300:
- "Domain in Grey" | The Julia Sound | Post-Creation | self-released
- "Your Love" | No Trend with Lydia Lunch | Heart of Darkness | Widowspeak
- "Toothpick the Size of a Skyscraper" | The Children | Ghost Lights | Division 68
- "Desmond" | Happy Mondays | Squirrel And G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out) | Factory
- "The Grunt" | The J.B.'s | These Are The J.B.'s | Now-Again
- "Bo Diddley Is A Lover" | The Liverbirds | Girls With Guitars | Ace
- "I Be The Prophet" | Nearly God | Nearly God | Durban Poison - Island
- "Hatisitose" | The Bhundu Boys | Shabini | Discafrique
- "Flood" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST
- "Forget My Name" | The Flaming Stars | Songs From the Bar Room Floor | Vinyl Japan
- "Swallow My Pride" | Fastbacks | Sub Pop 200 | Sub Pop - Tupelo
- "Slo-Glyde" | The Durutti Column | Return Of The Sporadic Recordings | Kooky
- "False Starts" | Andy Fairley | System Vertigo | On-U Sound
surrounded by progress
Share | Download(Loading)