Hoo boy, where to start? This is a radio program, I think it's safe to say. It definitely aired on the radio. What else it has going for it...well, I like to think the selection is good. There's that. At least I played the A Certain Ratio tracks without errors [that I can remember]. There are probably 1 or 2 really good segues in here [but I don't remember]. Otherwise, let's just call my continued presence on the air "managerial privilege." There are miscued songs, dead air, cueing noises in the middle of songs already playing, you name it. This sound file has been touched up so as not to sound as awful as it probably did on the night, and I know somewhere in the archive I blathered on about a documentary philosophy in my postings, but we all deserve a Lena Dunham moment every now and then.
In my defense I was probably dinking around with my laptop trying and failing to get a wifi connection at the studio, you see, so I was hella distracted. As a manager type at the station I've been ultraconservative about our networking setup because seemingly every time someone tweaks it the system goes haywire. And--what do you know--someone had tweaked it the previous weekend, and haywire had been achieved. I believe on this night I even threatened to quit my "job" at the station--talk about WhiteWhining (TM)! Anyway, the next time I visited the station, everything worked, although there was no explanation for it--other than the Radio gods telling me it's not my time yet.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 January 27, 2100-2300:
- "Age of Consent" | New Order | Power, Corruption & Lies | Factory
- "Real Cool Trash" | Tav Falco and His Unapproachable Panther Burns | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "Lovin' Just My Style" | The Caravelles | The Best Arizona Garage Bands 1967-1970 | HDM
- "Another (Terminal)" | Le Revelateur | Air Texture, Vol. IV | Air Texture
- "Skipscada [Peel 1981]" | A Certain Ratio | Sextet | Factory Benelux | "Physical Evidence"
- "Mirage" | The Cannanes and Steward | Communicating at An Unknown Rate | Chapter
- "Gangster of Love" | Bliss | The Best Arizona Garage Bands 1967-1970 | HDM
- "Mr. X" | Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls | Sampler (et Sans Reproche) | Factory Benelux
- "Trembling Hands" | Magic Castles | Sky Sounds | A Recordings
- "Dive Bomber" | The Carnations | The Best Arizona Garage Bands 1967-1970 | HDM
- "Stella" | Ultramarine | Every Man And Woman Is A Star | Rough Trade
- "Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Kicking Against The Pricks [reissue] | Mute
- "P.S. Goodbye" | The Chameleons | John Peel Sessions | Blue Apple
- "Mmm Skyscraper I Love You" | Underworld | Dubnobasswithmyheadman | Universal [Japan]
- "Djin Ku Djin" | Vaudou Game | Apiafo | Hot Casa
- "Knife Slits Water [Peel 1981]" | A Certain Ratio | Sextet | Factory Benelux | "Physical Evidence"
- "Gary" | Shellac | Dude Incredible | Touch & Go
- "Long Arm" | Gulls | Patterns Is Life | Boomarm Nation
- "Sante" | Vaghe Stelle | Air Texture, Vol. IV | Air Texture
- "Colour Screen" | Fenin | Werkschau03 | Shitkatapult
- "Day One [Peel 1981]" | A Certain Ratio | Sextet | Factory Benelux | "Physical Evidence"
- "Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role" | Swearing at Motorists | While Laughing, the Joker Tells the Truth | A Recordings
- "Silver Machine" | Brian Harris | Behind the Mask | self-released
- "Modern World" | Wrangler | Sampler (et Sans Reproche) | Factory Benelux
- "Clowns and Ballerinas" | Negativland | A Big 10-8 Place | Seeland
- "Faint Light" | Egokind & Ozean | Transition | Traum
- "Stylomezzo" | Gebruder Teichmann | Werkschau03 | Shitkatapult
next time: the new theme song. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis