"It usually sounds a bit better than this," I think I say at one point during this broadcast. In retrospect, I'm finding the whole thing pretty awesome. These mixtapes do serve a purpose after all, even if it is to save me from the ravages of myself.
This is the last of the Tuesday night programs for the time being. When Mr. Fishscales of "Dark Parade" fame cancelled his program, I took the opportunity to return to Wednesday, where Bombast now resides--that night has always felt more natural; I have a sentimental attachment to it since that's where we began; I only moved away from it so that Mr. F could do his program when it might not have been possible otherwise. But good things happened for us on Tuesdays--the Durutti Column, Breathless, and Heidi Berry specials happened on that day, and we spent many a Tuesday night following The Humming Wires, and we will miss that terribly.
Nostalgia--a friend gave me Heart of Darkness when it was current; it was also in heavy rotation on the mighty (and currently embattled) KDVS, as were all the No Trend releases at the time. For me it is really the void that has stared back, and has become a part of me; I don't know what the point would be to owning records if I didn't own this one. Mind you, it's not the only one of its kind, but it is definitely one of that kind. Also, this record will really tell you who your friends are. Hang on to anyone who can sit with you throughout the whole thing.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 June 2, 2100-2300:
- "Swallowtail - Live" | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Tepid Peppermint Wonderland Volume 2 | A Recordings
- "Your Love" | No Trend with Lydia Lunch | Heart of Darkness | Widowspeak | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Summer Ends Tonight" | Les Big Byrd | Liquid Sky EP | Hoga Nord
- "Let's Go Psycho" | Jah Wobble | Merry Go Round | Cherry Red
- "Champion Nines" | Unrest | Imperial F.F.R.R. [reissue] | Teen-Beat
- "Summer Will (Nothing Here Now But The Recordings)" | William S. Burroughs | William S. Burroughs - In Dub (Selected by Dub Spencer & Trance Hill) | Echo Beach
- "Nothing Is" | TB | City Girl | Permanent Vacation
- "Aquifer Construct PC287d" | Men In Sheds | Death Stalks the Unwary | self-released
- "Reach" | Aerosol | Leave | n5MD
- "Tear You Apart" | No Trend with Lydia Lunch | Heart of Darkness | Widowspeak | "Physical Evidence"
- "Death Valley '69 (with Lydia Lunch)" | Sonic Youth | Bad Moon Rising | Goofin'
- "Peasantry or 'Light! Inside of Light!' / Lambs' Breath" | Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress | Constellation
- "Everyone Thinks He Looks Daft" | The Wedding Present | George Best [reissue] | Edsel
- "Another Face" | A Projection | Exit | Tapete
- "Groovin' with the Aces" | Bobby Moore & The Rhythm Aces | Dedication of Love | Jazzman
- "For Different Folks" | Nightingales | Mind Over Matter | Louder than War
- "Preservation" | Ssleeping Desiress | Ssleeping Desiress | Onderstroom
- "The Curse" | No Trend with Lydia Lunch | Heart of Darkness | Widowspeak | "Physical Evidence"
- "Unchained Dub" | The Lucid Dream | The Lucid Dream | Holy Are You
- "Got To Get What's Been Forbidden" | Thee Headcoats | The Good Times Are Killing Me | M'Lady's
- "Arterial - MOORS remix" | Lusine | Arterial Reworks | Ghostly International
- "Vision Heat Logotone #4" | Vision Heat | The Chosen Themes - Program I | Root Strata
- "Who's To Say" | No Trend with Lydia Lunch | Heart of Darkness | Widowspeak | "Physical Evidence"
- "Sunday" | Valet | Nature | kranky
next time: the game's ouverture. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis