The Photograph Seemed To Stare As If In Disagreement With A Recent Event: Transmission 81, 2013 December 7
A frigid night, indeed, served as the occasion for A Bombastic Complication part 2. This time, I finally got around to playing something from It's a Crammed, Crammed, Crammed World, which I had advertised for the last such program and then, typically, neglected. I also had my first "actual" John Peel moment--because it wasn't just "mistakes" in general but, specifically, playing records at the wrong speed, that was his specialty--when I forgot that Presage(s) was actually a 45. So, a good night?
I certainly enjoyed this program as it was happening. In retrospect, though--Artery? What was I thinking? There were probably children listening. Who am I kidding? No one was listening, except you, maybe, right now. There was lots and lots of 4AD stuff in this program, too. [Sigh.] Moving on--at the moment of writing, it's a dreary 40-degree afternoon in Ithaca, long on unseasonal rain and short on holiday cheer. I'm a bit down on the selection at this moment. At some point this will feel proper. Maybe when it snows again? At any rate, you should never discard a mixtape, because you never know when it will be the exact thing you need to hear. May this serve you in a time of need, friend.
BOMBAST playlist, 2013 December 7, 2000-2200:
- "Let's Have a Party" | Psychotik Tanks | Natures Mortes - Still Lives | 4AD
- "Superbike" | Fat Truckers | Northern Electronic | Discograph
- "Into the Garden" | Artery | Goodbye To All That | Red Flame
- "Skinhead Moonstomp" | Symarip | This Is Ska Too! | Music Club
- "Son of Shaft" | The Bar-Kays | Harlem Shuffle | Plastic
- "Decolletage Remix" | The Honeymoon Killers | It's a Crammed, Crammed, Crammed World! | Crammed Discs
- "Fish" | Throwing Muses | Lonely Is An Eyesore | 4AD
- "Peace of Mind" | Bodhi Beat Poets | Songs from the New International | Recloose Organization
- "Ndiani Apisa Moto" | Nyami Nyami Sounds | Spirit of the Eagle: Zimbabwe Frontline Vol. 2 | Earthworks
- "Acne" / "Idiot" / "Hitler's Liver" | John Dowie | A Factory Sample | Factory
- "The Roxy Cut" | Yello | If You Can't Please Yourself, You Can't Please Your Soul | Some Bizarre
- "Rockfort Rock" | Sound Dimension | Downbeat the Ruler | Heartbeat
- "Dirge" / "Vaneigem Mix" | Royal Family & The Poor | A Factory Quartet | Factory
- "Jilted John" | Jilted John | Martin | Factory
- "Makka Splaff" | Steel Pulse | Short Circuit: Live At The Electric Circus | Virgin
- "Folsom Prison Blues" | The Mekons | 'Til Things Are Brighter | Red Rhino
- "Are We Still Married?" | His Name Is Alive | Lilliput | 4AD
- "Perversion" | A Primary Industry | Life At The Top | Third Mind
- "Unmasked" | CTI / Robert Wyatt | CORE | Conspiracy International
- "Timbuktu Express" | African Head Charge | Pay It All Back Volume 1 | On-U Sound
- "Taxi Driver" | Jonah Moyo and Devera Ngwena | Zimbabwe Frontline | Earthworks
- "Crazy Hazy Kisses" | Flat Duo Jets | Athens, GA - Inside / Out | I.R.S.
- "Look Who Is Back Again" | Delroy Wilson & Slim Smith | Full Up: Best of Studio One Volume Two | Heartbeat
- "Oh My Lover" | PJ Harvey | Too Pure - The Peel Sessions | Dutch East India Trading
- "Hunk of a Punk" | Red Atkins | Presage(s) | 4AD
next time: not natural, normal, or kind. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
p.s. apologies to Steel Pulse!
Share | Download(Loading)