Welcome to a weird night, with lots of bizarre human traffic, on which Lady Catharsis and I sheltered in the Kenny Ritter Memorial Studio (RIP) and delivered what would turn out to be our final joint program prior to the lockdown.
Basic things kept going wrong because I was rude, during the previous program ("pa’bajo"), to a caller who wanted to be put straight through to the studio. I say "rude" because I declined the request, even though it was practically impossible to grant. This is the kind of thing my therapist keeps bugging me about, but that is another story.
I suppose that during a lot of these programs it is unfinished business and "misfit toys" time, which explains a lot of this playlist. Except for Rick James (RIP) I don't know why I'm playing a lot of what I'm playing. Bad energy: I would like to say the program crackles with it, but that would overstate the excitement factor.
"Maybe," I wrote at the time, "when I hear this program six months from now it will sound good." It does! Even though I underestimated the wait just a little bit.
Since this program was broadcast, 427 days ago now, I've gone "on the air" 60 times. I have delivered 51 pre-recorded episodes on account of the pandemic. The good news is that I'm past the point of editing old sound files, because the editing happens before they ever go out on the air. Truly I have become a podcaster.
Our discussion of "the four corners of time" captures this perpetual dilemma, but as always I am determined to speed things up and post like a normal person.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 February 1, 2000-2200:
- "The Modern Day Saints" | The Orange Kyte | Carousel | Little Cloud
- "Bury It Deep" | Beat Hotel | Feel It | Occultation Recordings
- "Ii Ooy Aniga (Cry For Me)" | Iftin Band | Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1972-1991) | Analog Africa
- "Brokos" | Gyedu-Blay Ambolley | 11th Street, Sekondi | Agogo
- "You And I" | Rick James | Come Get It! | Gordy
- "Il ne faut pas intervenir (Martin Meissonnier reconstruction)" | Sankayi | Kinshasa 1978 | Crammed Discs
- "Void" | Algiers | Void | Matador
- "A Dr0ne" | NNYz? | Reveries | self-released
- "To Hell With Poverty" | Gang of Four | Another Day/Another Dollar | Warner Bros.
- "Nova" | Kimyan Law | Yonda | Blue Mar Ten
- "Remember Me" | The Durutti Column | Fidelity [reissue] | Les Disques Du Crépuscule
- "Rue des tempêtes" | The Young Gods | L'Eau Rouge / Red Water [reissue] | [PIAS] Le Label
- "144,000" | James Massiah | Natural Born Killers (Ride for Me) | Levels
- "Neo" | Leandro Fresco / Thore Pfeiffer | Pop Ambient 2020 | Kompakt
- "The Redemption Project" | Hieroglyphic Being | Synth Expressionism / Rhythmic Cubism | On the Corner
- "Heartbeat" | Chris and Cosey | Heartbeat [reissue] | Conspiracy International
- "Reflections" | Taelue | Reflections | Perpetual Rhythms
- "The Wedge" | The J.B.'s | More Mess On My Thing | Now-Again
- "Hidden Track" | Lloyd Meadows | Oxford Synthesizer Club | The Beautiful Music
- "The Myth Hold Weight" | Moor Mother | Analog Fluids of Solid Black Holes | Don Giovanni
- "Range of Motion" | Force Placement | Vibe Repair | 100% Silk
Proud of the way I've avoided prison