We Can Go for a Walk Where It’s Quiet and Dry, and Talk About Precious Things: Transmission 280, 2016 June 1
We began a busy June with a busy show. In it, we conducted a good deal of business--Physical Evidence, Listening Parlour, and a couple of "post-punk" birthday observances. We mean them all, even Lady Catharsis, who is really laboring through her introduction to "Work Hard."
It's always the 30th anniversary of something, but this year seems to be the 30th anniversary of quite a bit--or so it seems to a person of my age and sensibility. The Queen Is Dead, released just as school was getting out, was the soundtrack of that summer, the last of Smithdom, and much more. Lady Catharsis does not go for the title tune, but she is nuts.
400 Blows were the soundtrack of that fall, though, "Movin'" blowing my mind just as college was beginning to blow my mind. I paid more attention to the tunes than to classes, I have to admit. The inauspicious beginnings of a mediocre career--but I still have the records, which does not seem like a bad deal.
BOMBAST playlist, 2016 June 1, 2100-2300:
- "The Queen Is Dead" | The Smiths | The Queen Is Dead | Rough Trade - Sire
- "Post Apocalyptic Love Song (The End)" | Johnny Moped | It's A Real Cool Baby | Damaged Goods
- "Little Jewel" | Blackie & The Oohoos | Lacuna | Unday
- "Breakdown" | 400 Blows | Look | Illuminated | "Physical Evidence"
- "Kiri" | CB-R | DRSL | Cut Mistake
- "Susan" | The Goon Sax | Up to Anything | Chapter Music
- "Back Side of the Moon" | The Orb | The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld [reissue] | WAU! Mr. Modo - Island
- "Riots Over London" | 400 Blows | Look | Illuminated | "Physical Evidence"
- "Scrimshaw" | Anna Meredith | Varmints | Moshi Moshi
- "Protein" | Tropicana | Cosmos #1 | SVS
- "The Charmer" | 400 Blows | Look | Illuminated | "Physical Evidence"
- "Nought Marie" | Little Annie | Trace | Tin Angel
- "Enigma" | The Durutti Column | LC [reissue] | Factory Benelux
- "Play For Today" | The Cure | Staring At The Sea - The Singles | Fiction - Elektra
- "Femern" | Matt Karmil | ++++ | PNN
- "Hollow Hills" | Bauhaus | Mask [reissue] | Beggars Banquet - Hostess
- "Etheriel" | Lush | Origami | 4AD
- "Fred Wesley Suffers Spontaneous Human Combustion" | 400 Blows | Look | Illuminated | "Physical Evidence"
- "Maersk Recorder" | Matthew Collings | A Requiem for Edward Snowden | Denovali
- "Broken Violin (Afternoon Recording)" | Waterhouse | Empty Gallery EP | Decisions
- "Curfew" | Fatima Al Qadiri | Brute | Hyperdub
- "Work Hard (East End Remix)" | Depeche Mode | Everything Counts (In Larger Amounts) | Mute - Sire | "Listening Parlour"
- "Movin'" | 400 Blows | Look | Illuminated | "Physical Evidence"
- "La fin de la guerre" | Dorian Pimpernel & Julian Gasc | Moonshine, Vol. 1 | Born Bad
- "Break Through" | Funkees | Can't You Hear Me? | Now-Again
- "Regular" | The Range | Potential | Domino
- "The Morality of Altitude" | 400 Blows | Look | Illuminated | "Physical Evidence"
what an accessory