Dear internet friends, here is a program you haven't yet heard, unless you were waiting patiently online for our stream to wake up (and why not?), which it did about 15 minutes from the end of the program. This one really felt like the old days, an EXCLUSIVE local-only broadcast. I'm trying to make lemonade out of this.
The Joy Division recording captured on the Preston record is wonderfully ragged, which is how I like my JD--sounding like a rock band. As a teen I was infatuated with New Order. A friend gave me a copy of Still, telling me, "if you like New Order then you need to hear this." Or something like that. Anyway, I was failing to see the point. There wasn't an "Age of Consent" to be found here, or a "Dreams Never End," "Love Vigilantes," "Elegia"...much less a "Blue Monday." What was the big deal? Then I put the second record on--better. It was "Disorder" that flicked the switch. I was actually disappointed to hear the Unknown Pleasures version, and I totally "get" the band's lukewarm feelings about the Martin Hannett records. Origin stories--what are they? Anyway, hopefully soon we'll get to some stuff on Side 1 of Preston, which is even more messed-up and even more perfect.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 16, 2100-2300:
- "Yeman" | Kloke | First Light | Sub Squared
- "Prologue" / "Big Bang Reincarnation" / "Searching for Signs of Life" / "Blue Mist" / "The Cavern" / "Transformation (Pt. 1)" | The Heliocentrics & Melvin Van Peebles | The Last Transmission | Now-Again
- "Sanza tristesse" | Francis Bebey | Psychedelic Sanza | Born Bad
- "Intoxico" | The Sentinals | Big Surf! | Rumble
- "Children With Feet Of Giants (Solitude)" | Warsnare | Endgame | Seclusiasis
- "Getting Nowhere Fast" | Girls At Our Best! | Pleasure | Optic Nerve
- "A Glorious Fall (TOTALMESS Remix)" | Caiman Philippines | A Glorious Fall / Sperne EP | Caiman Philippines
- "Voel" | Brian Harris | Behind the Mask | not on label
- "Matinda Comono" | Verckys & L'Orchestre Veve | Verckys & L'Orchestre Veve (Congolese Funk, Afrobeat & Psychedelic Rumba 1969-1978) | Analog Africa
- "Refugee" | Moonpunk | not on album | Soundcloud self-release
- "Never Walk Away" | Maya Jane Coles & GAPS | In Dark, In Day | I/AM/ME
- "I'm Doubtful Of Your Love" | Benny Joy | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "s950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix)" | Aphex Twin | Syro | WARP
- "Watchin' Out" | The Split Decision Band | Watchin' Out | Now-Again
- "Getting Nowhere Fast" | The Wedding Present | George Best [reissue] | Edsel
- "Janus" | Nachtbraker | Janus | Dirt Crew
- "002" | HWLS | HWLS | Future Classic
- "It's So Hard To Be Happy" | Wild Billy Childish & CTFM | Acorn Man | Damanged Goods
- "Shadowplay" / "Transmission" / "Disorder" / "Warsaw" / "Colony" / "Interzone" / "She's Lost Control" | Joy Division | Preston 28 February 1980 | Drastic Plastic | "Physical Evidence"
- "AB/7A" | Throbbing Gristle | Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits | Industrial
- "Take A Chance On Me" | ABBA | The Definitive Collection | Polar - UTV | "Listening Parlour"
- "Tableau II" | Valentin Stip | Sigh | Other People
- "Epilogue" | Proxima | Alpha | Tempa
next time: depends on when. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Share | Download(Loading)