Bombast completes a hat-trick at the expense of iTunes, et. al., this week, thanks to the meatspace-only [as of now] release of LSXX by The Breeders, which contains the 7 tracks from Live in Stockholm that serve as this week's "Physical Evidence." Also, an irregular feature called "Junior Selector" makes its debut, with Catharsis Junior inserting two excellent songs into the playlist.
The real magic happens in the last half-hour of the program, thanks to my adherence to two basic guidelines: 1) When Jim Murphy, to whom I feel I basically owe this program's existence, asks me to play a record, I comply; 2) not coincidentally, the answer to most "improvisational" situations in live performance is to say "yes." Enjoy the David Roter Method, everyone.
I don't have much time to write this week [sorry], but I want to point out that: a) our schedule will be a bit inconsistent over the next couple of weeks, as the station and I run the personal and public gauntlet that is the triptych of weekends prior to, including, and after Memorial Day--watch the show's Facebook page and the station's Facebook page for updates; b) we hope to bring you some special things over the summer, including live in-studio performances and (hopefully) the fruit of some recent "outreach" that I have conducted. Stay tuned.
- Visage: "Tar" [Polydor] / "Listening Parlour"
- Lukas Bohlender: "Club Chateau" [Compost Black]
- Lee "Scratch" Perry: "Inakaya (Japanese Food)" [M.O.D. Technologies]
- Dub Spencer & Trance Hill: "A Fistful of Dub" [Echo Beach]
- AM & Shawn Lee: "Steppin' Out" [Park the Van]
- John Fred and the Playboys: "Boogie Children" [BBE]
- Witch: "Lazy Bones" [Now-Again]
- Dance of Freedom Project: "Stubborn Girls" [Not on Label] / "Junior Selector"
- Klaus Dinger & Japandorf: "Sketch No. 1_B" [Gronland]
- Dur-Dur Band: "Halelo" [Awesome Tapes from Africa]
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: "I'm Gonna Kill That Woman" [Mute / Homestead]
- Survival: "Tragedy Reprise" [Thrill Jockey]
- Beaches: "Keep on Breaking Through" [Chapter Music]
- Co La: "Remarkable Features" [Software]
- John Lee Hooker: "Drug Store Woman" [Vee-Jay]
- The Breeders: "Shocker in Gloomtown" [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Breeders: "New Year" [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Breeders: "Hellbound" [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Breeders: "Saints " [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Breeders: "I Just Want to Get Along" [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Breeders: "S.O.S." [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Breeders: "Roi" [Breeders Digest] / "Physical Evidence"
- Frikstailers: "Mueve la Cuchi" [ZZK] / "Junior Selector"
- David Roter Method: "Bambo" [Unknown Tongue] / [Jim Murphy Selection]
- Blondie: "Here's Looking at You" [Chrysalis] / "Listening Parlour"
- Way Yes: "Tog Pebbles" [Not on Label]
- John Hughes Daydream: "Ebony Eyes" [Cut Mistake]
- Destroyer: "Leave Me Alone " [Mojo Magazine]
- The Men: "I Saw Her Face" [Sacred Bones]
next week: "phoning it in." Enjoy the music! --kid Catharsis
Share | Download(Loading)