At the beginning of June, everything was "normal" for me. Surely I was preparing for #theorycamp, all by myself, without a student assistant. I was avoiding the work that needed doing at home--getting ready for our move. Lady Catharsis and I were squabbling, whether it was about that or something else. Check out her "Listening Parlour" intro! She was not having it on this day. But she is a professional, a "diamond," if you will.
I am going through the motions in writing this blurb, just as I must have been going through the motions on this broadcast. Nevertheless it is a solid first hour, "close to the platonic ideal," as my notes say (even my notes are pretentious and full of shit). The Leathers, Captain Wardrobe, and Lurkers segues were terrible, if I recall, and I probably don't. As always, the music in between was good. All of this, though, comes with the subtext of a heavy sigh, as this "concept" of the program is approaching its end. Do you know what isn't going through the motions, though, what isn't accompanied by sighing? The Psychedelic Furs. No misgivings about that.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 June 5, 2100-2300:
- "Marooned" | Wire | Chairs Missing | Pink Flag
- "Sleeping Tiger" | Pete Astor | Spilt Milk | Slumberland
- "Gravity's Angel" | Laurie Anderson | Mister Heartbreak | Warner Bros.
- "Ecopoiesis" | Umwelt | Ecopoiesis | Voltax
- "An ba siel" | DjeuhDjoah & Lieutenant Nicholson | Aimez ces airs | Hot Casa
- "Hypochondriac" | John Tejada | Dead Start Program | Kompakt
- "Phantom Heart" | LEATHERS | Artoffact Records 2019 | Artoffact
- "Ivor" | The Buff Medways | Steady the Buffs [reissue] | Damaged Goods
- "M-U-S-I-C" | Normal Brain | Lady Maid | WRWTFWW
- "Some Day Soon - Burn Mix" | C Cat Trance | Screaming Ghosts | Emotional Rescue / Malka Tuti
- "Sweet Dust" | Kez YM | Cross Section | Faces
- "Dublin" | HNNY | 2014.12.31 | Omena
- "If You Love Your Neighbor You No Go Die" | Rock Town Express | Funky Makossa | Comb & Razor
- "Şahmeran" | Gaye Su Akyol | İstikrarlı Hayal Hakikattir | Glitterbeat
- "She's a Diamond" | Opal | Early Recordings | Rough Trade | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Lost and Found (Found Mix)" | Objekt | Cocoon Crush | PAN
- "80s" | Captain Wardrobe | Kronosphere | self-released
- "Meet Me" | Fred Abong | Pulsing | self-released
- "Dry Food" | Blaine L. Reininger | The Blue Sleep | Les Disques du Crepuscule
- "A Promise" | The Cinematic Orchestra | To Believe | Ninja Tune
- "The Desert" | Where We Sleep | Experiments In The Dark | self-released
- "To Sad To Tell You" | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | 'a' records
- "Super Falling Star" | Stereolab | Peng! [reissue] | Too Pure
- "That Was Julia" | The Lurkers | Electrical Guitar | Damaged Goods
- "President Gas" | Psychedelic Furs | Forever Now | Columbia
- "Goya" | Mathimidori | Yosago EP | Ornaments
You have to have a party when you're in a state like this