Hall of Legends inductees The Fall make their first appearance in the "Physical Evidence" segment with an EP that serves no apparent purpose. Elsewhere, I get the Kenyan stuff out of my system. Almost. Anyway, there is a lot of that. In other words, we are all over the map, if "being mostly in two places" is an acceptable meaning of that phrase.
I should have known better than to take on a program hard on the heels of my regular show, but there I was, at the controls, a mere 24 hours later. Not that this show was less than good--it turned out, on review, better than I remembered it--but (a) I got really tired in the last half-hour and (b) I'm starting to have dreams about doing radio, you guys. This latter development is not good.
The stack of "mix tapes" is growing, which I suppose is a benefit, but radio is giving me feelings, you guys, which are not so great. I will have to find a balance between "doing as much as I can while I can" and actually appreciating each program. Experience tells me that I won't, but that doesn't mean I don't have to. Anything is better than letting my mouth run during the voiceovers and saying ominous things like "it's alright when the records are spinning," or whatever Pagliaci-like statement I let slip. Yikes!
At any rate, this show does answer a pressing question: Does vintage Fall make for a good segue into and out of African music? No, not exactly! As Don Miguel Ruiz would say, everyone is doing their best all the time.
BOMBAST playlist, 2013 July 18-19, 2300-0100:
- Four Tet: "Pinnacles" [Text]
- Ambrose Campbell: "Ashiko Rhythm" [Honest Jon's]
- Russ Henderson: "West Indian Drums" [Honest Jon's]
- The Fall: "Kimble" [Strange Fruit] / "Physical Evidence"
- The Mombasa Vikings: "Mama Matotoya" [Soundway]
- Springintgut: "Incentive Pizzicato - Icarus Remix" [Pingipung]
- Mbiri Young Stars: "Ndiri Ndanogio Niwe" [Soundway]
- Mount Kimbie: "Break Well" [Warp]
- Estrangers: "Hold Me Close (l'Inverno)" [Phuzz]
- Orchestre Veve Star: "Nitarudia" [Soundway]
- Nairobi Matata Jazz: "Tamba Tamba" [Soundway]
- The Fall: "C'n'C Hassle Schmuk" [Strange Fruit] / "Physical Evidence"
- Gatanga Boys Band: "Tiga Kudenga - Hide & Smile Edit" [Soundway]
- Kalambya Boys: "Kivelenge - Busy Twist Remix" [Soundway]
- Enoch & Christy Mensah: "Daikuku Dum" [Honest Jon's]
- The Fall: "Words of Expectation" [Strange Fruit] / "Physical Evidence"
- Slim Ali and The Famous Hodi Boys: "Watoto Nyara" [Soundway]
- The Fall: "Spoilt Victorian Child" [Strange Fruit] / "Physical Evidence"
- Bibio: "Mirroring All" [Warp]
- Alessandro Cortini: "Gloria" [Important]
next time: we are merely fortunate there is a next time. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis