As I say in one of this episode's voice-overs, a few of these tunes might have been more timely had I played them closer to Halloween. However, segues trump everything else--even if "Elvis Costello into Jawbox" was not the best idea ever--and BOMBAST has an uneasy relationship with time. Also, as we all know by now, history and death have intervened, so the show that airs the night before Halloween will be one of those "theme" programs.
The other day I was just helping someone brush up on their board training, and I said that the thing I like about live radio is the feeling that something could go wrong at any minute. And yet I kick myself over the mistakes that dog my program. I will have to work on this. At any rate: yes, I give out an incorrect phone number at the beginning; yes, I botch the Talking Heads segue; yes, I stumble over words; yes, I forget how the Legendary Pink Dots song ends; yes, I allow the computer to play a timed ID and a shuffle track [which would have made a good segue, btw] alongside the program's final song. This kind of thing added to John Peel's charm. Is it wrong of me to lament that it doesn't add to mine?
One positive takeaway is that Catharsis Junior was pleased to have the opportunity to say "Shut Up!" Daddy's girl.
BOMBAST playlist, 2013 October 23, 2100-2300:
- "Switchblade" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
- "Mr Evil" | Live Skull | EP | Desire
- "Something To Be Done" | Master Plan Inc. | Something To Be Done | Soul Spectrum
- "Somebody to Love" | Kyrill & Redford | Somebody | Burlesque
- "I Think I Love You" | The Partridge Family | The Partridge Family Album | Bell | "Listening Parlour"
- "Little Miss 3-B" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
- "Magnetic Ribbons - Mollono.Bass Remix" | Marcus Sur | Zachow | Acker
- "Lesbian Wife" | Scott & Charlene's Wedding | Any Port in a Storm | Fire
- "Wrecker!" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
- "Spirit - Prins Thomas Diskomiks Remix" | Frederic Mercier | Cosmic Machine (Remixes) | Because
- "Phantom on Lane 12" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
- "Night of the Vampire" | Roky Erickson | Gremlins Have Pictures | Light in the Attic
- "Mirage" | New World | Night Stalker | Riotvan
- "Haunt / Alive" | Whore Paint | Swallow My Bones | Load
- "Reset" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
- "Private Drive" | Few Nolder | Private Drive | Best Kept Secret
- "I Zimbra" | Talking Heads | Fear of Music | Sire - Rhino
- "Baby It's You" | Nick Lowe & Elvis Costello | Out of Our Idiot | Demon | "Listening Parlour"
- "Freezerburn" | Jawbox | Grippe | Dischord
- "Warm Piston" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
- "Julie With" | Brian Eno | Before and After Science | Virgin Japan
- "The Region Beyond" | The Legendary Pink Dots | The Whispering Wall | self-released
- "Rumble" | Thee Mighty Caesars | Beware the Ides of March | Damaged Goods
- "The Juice" | Causa Sui | Euporie Tide | El Paraiso
- "Henderson Island" | Saroos | Return | Alien Transistor
- "Rumble" | The Mono Men | Shut Up! | Estrus | "Physical Evidence"
next time: Velvety versions, and the usual. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis