A regular weekly "alpha" program gives us the chance to observe Prince Buster's birthday with the surprisingly obscure She Was A Rough Rider album as our "Physical Evidence." It seems odd, in a good way, that we are "merely" doing this on a program that is "killing time" prior to the big one next week. But that's how things go.
"Let's welcome Mars back!" says Lady Catharsis, in reference to astrology, in which she believes and with which I struggle. I'm confused: Mars isn't meant to make me feel belligerent, although I often do these days when I'm not actually doing the program. It is supposed to make things "more available." Which, strangely, they are.
Most of the segues in this program do make a lot of sense, though there's no excuse for trying to play "Rocket Man" twice, except that maybe it's a nice song. Again, the mistakes are your guarantee that this thing is real.
It is indeed true, though I can hardly believe it, that next week's program will feature a new interview with Ivo Watts-Russell. He is someone who has been mentioned in many a Hall of Legends conversation, though not in connection with his own records, which are dead great, and which we'll be discussing. Tune in, won't you?
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 May 28, 2100-2300:
- "Hard Times" | Baby Huey | The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend | Curtom
- "Walk With Love" | Prince Buster | Judge Dread Rock Steady / She Was A Rough Rider | DOJO | "Physical Evidence"
- "On Repeat" | Fenster | The Pink Caves | Morr
- "Trapdoor" | Loops Haunt | Exits | Black Acre
- "Hunters in the Snow" | Paresse | Correspondant Compilation 02 | Correspondant
- "I Don't Care" | Thor's Hammer | If You Knew: Icelandic Punk & Beat '65-'67! | Ugly Pop
- "Tenderness" | Prince Buster | Judge Dread Rock Steady / She Was A Rough Rider | DOJO | "Physical Evidence"
- "(d)ou(b)tsider" | Fontarrian | VLV | Antime
- "Ville Morose" | Nadine Shah | Ville Morose | Apollo
- "Closer Together" | Prince Buster | Judge Dread Rock Steady / She Was A Rough Rider | DOJO | "Physical Evidence"
- "Jealousy" | Tony Allen & Africa 70 | Jealousy | Kindred Spirits
- "Under Cover" | Deadbeat and Paul St. Hilaire | The Infinity Dub Sessions | BLKRTZ
- "Rocket Man" | Pearls Before Swine | The Use of Ashes | Reprise
- "The Frame" | Valina | Container | Trost
- "Satellite Rock" | Joe Tate (with the Hi-Fives) | Music From Planet Earth | Stag-O-Lee
- "The Panther" | Manu Dibango | Africadelic | Aurora
- "Dreams To Remember" | Prince Buster | Judge Dread Rock Steady / She Was A Rough Rider | DOJO | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Martian Band" | The Wildtones | Music From Planet Earth | Stag-O-Lee
- "The Inexorable Sadness of Pencils" | Silo | Work | Novennial Paralysis
- "Galactic" | Wen | Signals | Keysound
- "UR" | Colo | UR | KI
- "The Process" | Section 25 | From The Hip | Factory Benelux
- "Going To The River" | Prince Buster | Judge Dread Rock Steady / She Was A Rough Rider | DOJO | "Physical Evidence"
- "Temporary Haven" | Islaja | S U U | Monika Enterprise
- "Rastafari On Wall Street" | Lee "Scratch" Perry | Back On The Controls | Rolling Lion - Upsetter
- "Horizons" | LTJ Bukem | The Rebirth of Cool Four | Island
- "Waterscape" | Kiar | Our World Is Crying (Demo Tape) | Bandcamp self-release
next time: the horizon bleeds and sucks its thumb.