"This is surely not rock bottom," my notes read (even my notes are pretentious), "but felt like cheating somehow, and also a program with an old agenda." Well, I did return to some very recent spins, trying to--what? correct mistakes? erase moral debts? Listening back the agenda doesn't seem that old, but I'm definitely in no position to assess that. I think the big mistake of the summer was that I tried living in the moment, but for reasons beyond my control (at least that's what I'm telling myself!) "the moment" was a kind of terrible I wasn't prepared for.
But who(m)(st) are we kidding? I make mistakes every summer.
Since this program was broadcast, 106 days ago now, I've gone on the air 19 times. I'm currently editing a sound file from 37 days ago--6 shows ago.
(One of the problems with the "chronicling and specifying my slothfulness" is that the Wednesdays keep coming, you see, and so do the radio appearances. Also, I've not been mentioning my listening habits, mostly at the gym--I just finished listening to a transmission from 71 days ago. So that's four different times I'm inhabiting at once--the past I'm trying to write about, the past I'm listening to, the past I'm editing (!), and the present I'm trying to stay afloat in. How is your existence going, friend?)
The current churn is bringing to mind some existential questions about this whole radio thing. I don't know at the moment why I do it but I know I have to. And it's not even a job! There's not even a Patreon associated with this thing (I'm either too busy or too lazy to get that together).
Will it feel better if my "four temporal planes" collapse into one? Will the questions disappear, or maybe even be answered? Stay tuned to this gripping series.
BOMBAST playlist, 2019 October 16, 2100-2300:
- "Mahonena" | Ny Anjarasoa | Alefa Madagascar ! Salegy, Soukous & Soul From The Red Island 1974-1984 | Strut
- "Standing Crosswise in the Square" | Craig Leon | Anthology of Interplanetary Folk Music Vol. 2: The Canon | RVNG Int'l
- "Wilder" | Jübl | DNA Cowboys | Eighth Son Records
- "Megamanic" | Bob Mould | The Last Dog and Pony Show | Rykodisc | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Dark Luminosity" | Jah Wobble & Bill Laswell | Realm of Spells | self-released
- "Not a second glance" | Hula | Voice | Klanggalerie
- "Low Voltage and Meat" | The Grief Brothers | Thirty Five Years on Woodfield Street | Country Mile
- "T 3.5" | Carter Tutti Void | Triumvirate | Conspiracy International
- "Xscape" | NNYZ? | Automation | Kahvi Collective
- "Final Form" | Sampa the Great | The Return | Ninja Tune
- "Needyunow" | (((O))) | ((( 1 ))) | The Sundrop Garden
- "Mhadjar Yassouf Idjan" | Tinariwen | Amadjar | Wedge
- "Panama" | The Wedding Present | Jump In, The Water's Fine | Come Play With Me / Scopitones
- "Elelemi" | Julie Coker | A Life in the Limelight: Lagos Disco & Itsekiri Highlife, 1976-1981 | Kalita
- "Jallaad" | Sarathy Korwar | More Arriving | Leaf
- "Ten Days (Douglas Deep Mix)" | Diane Marie Kloba | D.M.K vs S.K.1.2.3 | self-released
- "Wild Atlantic" | transmission 13 | The Edge Of The World | self-released
- "Diagonals (Instrumental)" | Stereolab | Dots and Loops (Expanded Edition) | Duophonic / WARP
- "Mizik Bel" | Esnard Boisdur | Mizik Bel | Favorite
- "In a Cage (feat. Moor Mother)" | Zonal | In a Cage | Relapse
- "KYOKAI" | Slikback | Lasakaneku / Tomo | Hakuna Kulala
- "I'm Not Always Where My Body Is - Varg Remix" | Aisha Devi | I'm Not Always Where My Body Is - Varg Remix | Houndstooth
- "Untitled VI" | Kelman Duran | Two Suns | Point Records
- "LCD" | Ummagma | Compass | Leonard Skully
- "Eh! Yaye" | Zazou / Bikaye / CY1 | Noir Et Blanc | Crammed Discs
- "invoice" | serpentwithfeet | soil | Secretly Canadian
- "Planemo" | elAstrum | Freqmod | Kahvi Collective
- "A Push Towards The Stars" | Ivan Black | Modern City Scapes | vanguardista
- "Okitwoye - Peter Power Remix" | ODD OKODDO | Okitwoye | Pingipung
just a sing-song for the mute