YOU ARE LOOKING LIVE at a post by Guy LeBatard, accompanying another sonic adventure in mindless hedonism. "This unfolds" now, wherever you happen to be, but its "original" airing, if it was not always already happening somewhere in block time, was on the day of The Big Football Game. Not that the association means anything, but "real" time listeners got a taste of the violence of spectacle prior to the spectacle of violence, if in fact there is a relevant difference.
Bring on the rotary cocktails and permanent vacations!
U_D_M playlist, 2017 February 5, 1700-1800:
- "Nehmet und Esset" | Deo & Z-Man | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | Hafendisko
- "This Unfolds" | Four Tet | There Is Love In You | Domino USA
- "Die Wiederkehr" | Obscure Shape & SHDW | Realm of Consciousness | Afterlife
- "Dawn 808" | Lawrence | Hamburg Elektronisch 3 | Hafendisko
- "Wee Hours" | Echonomist | Dusk EP | Rotary Cocktail
- "The Lattice" | Petar Dundov | At The Turn of Equilibrium | Music Man
- "South of Mel" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "Brooklyn Bridge" | Alex Burkat | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
expression of the abstract
From the end of the world--do we dare to dream?--it is Guy LeBatard, bringing you another hour of my "less easily decipherable than I thought" program. Since all culture is simultaneous now I won't bother with telling you what "was" happening when I spun these tunes, but I can assure you that this abdication is NOT because I don't "remember." What is happening NOW is what matters, if anything does. <RON HOWARD NARRATOR VOICE: "It doesn't."
U_D_M playlist, 2017 January 29, 1700-1800:
- "Dawn - Green Mix" | Joris Voorn | This Story Until Now | Green
- "Water Vein - DJ Yogurt & Moja Remix" | Asian Psilocybe Foundation | Water Vein EP | Mental Groove
- "Freudian Slip" | Arnaud Rebotini | Zone 27: Danger Zone - EP | Vinyl Factory
- "Acidwave" | Omar V & Mario Aparicio | Vi kal it AEsid | Full Pupp
- "Autopop" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "N.2guts" | Einzelkind & Robin Scholz | Cocoon Compilation P | Cocoon
- "Frequency Graven" | Drafted | Frames From the Lake EP | Balans
- "Surf Smurf - Rebolledo Short Version" | Munk & Rebolledo | Mushroom House EP1 | Toy Tonics
- "Ping-Pong" | The Durutti Column | The Return of the Sporadic Recordings | Kooky
3,000 miles east of Mel
Bonjour! Guy LeBatard, checking in with another program from the "distant" past. The pipeline is drying up. We are nearing the end. But here is an hour's worth of good "entertainment," or whatever. Were I the type to write long treatises--I never "showed much promise," or so they told me--I would figure out whether I find it more distasteful that music is made to be used as a backdrop for some other activity or that some musicians insist that you give their product your full attention.
It is a good thing that I am not that type!
Anyway, kid catharsis tells me that this was a very satisfying listen while he was punishing himself on the arc-trainer, so I suppose we are to trust him?
U_D_M playlist, 2017 January 8, 1700-1800:
- "Electrica Salsa (feat. Sven Vath) [Roman Flugel Remix]" | Off | Electrica Salsa Revisited (feat. Sven Vath) | Cocoon
- "Four Squares" | Adam Johnson | Chigliak | Merck
- "St3am" | Nico Purman | Pattern Recognition | Vakant
- "Frustration" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "No Fool" | Tensnake | Freundchen EP | True Romance
- "Should I Stay" | Magdalena | 10 Years DIYnamic | DIYnamic
- "I Gave My Love (Shan & Gerd Janson Edit)" | Move D | Move D Presents House Grooves Vol. 1 | Misfit Melodies
- "Differentiator" | Gregor Tresher & Petar Dundov | Spike | Cocoon
- "Lolog" | Alex Under | Kompakt: Total 16 | Kompakt
gonna take you right into the
Guy LeBatard here, wishing you the best of luck in 2017. I was spending the holidays "down south," with the Catharsis family. Some of "kid's" clumsiness must have rubbed off on me. This is a clumsy hour and a dreaded symmetrical selection. Plus, I played the same Carl Craig tune for the second program in a row. "Honor thy error as a hidden intention?" Get stuffed, Brian Eno, and go back to making music for shopping malls or whatever it is you do.
U_D_M playlist, 2017 January 1, 1700-1800:
- "Orion - Luci's Travel" | Luciano | Alma Sounds | Cadenza
- "Interstellar" | Hugh Mane | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
- "At Les" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "Impressions of a Dawn (Alba in 4/4)" | Luca Ballerina | Dots & Pearls 3 | Coccon
- "The Change - Jacques Renault Remix" | Baldo | The Change | Good Ratio
- "Disappear" | Julia Govor & Kamran Sadeghi | Dots & Pearls 3 | Coccon
- "Border" | Matthew Styles | Metro | Ostgut Ton
- "False Readings On" | Eluvium | False Readings On | Temporary Residence Limited
Happy holidays, from Guy LeBatard! No doubt, the more pedantic among you will point out that it is currently August, but time means nothing to me. Please find attached a program that I did...sometime. It strikes me, in retrospect, as rather pleasing. Though I sound a bit down "on tape," I was delivering appropriate mindlessness for the listening area, and beyond.
I am discovering that a trait I share with kid catharsis, who "hosts" this archive, is a desire for shallowness of affect above all things. Is it standing in for authenticity, humility, lack of commercial appeal? This could certainly be. Words, effort, "balls-out" commitment--I don't know what to do with these, in all honesty. I prefer states of being, undisturbed. A death wish? That's for someone else to figure out, in their free time.
U_D_M playlist, 2016 December 18, 1700-1800:
- "Timebomb - VIP Mix" | John Tejada | Timebomb | Palette
- "Prelog Strain" | Init | Correspondant Compilation 04 | Correspondant
- "At Les" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "Broncos - Natureboy Gold & Marlon Hoffstadt Rework" | Marlon Hoffstadt | Coach Mike | Retrograde
- "Trans-Atlantic Journey? We've Been Here!" | Damon Bell | Stand By Me EP | Burek
- "Hedione" | La Fleur | Hedione EP | Watergate
- "Poseidon" | Woo York | Realm of Consciousness | Afterlife
- "2nd Movement" | Johannes Brecht | 10 Years DIYnamic | DIYnamic
- "Seaside Special" | Fantastic Man | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
impressions of Don
Punching in once again, I am Guy LeBatard. Being a "radio regular," and chronicling that regularity, made me a little bit sick, looking back. And we shouldn't look back anyway. So I did not, but at the moment I am feeling dragged back into responsibility by forces I do not understand. It seems I can only quet them by pressing onward.
What sort of spectacular fascination you might craft from this hour of radio escapes me, but what's new? I find the content here a bit more "organic" than usual, without the segues necessarily being that way. Conscious resistance? Sure, we can call it that. Words don't mean anything anymore.
U_D_M playlist, 2016 November 13, 1700-1800:
- "Love Cry" | Four Tet | There Is Love In You | Domino USA
- "Jekaterinburg" | Adriatique | 10 Years DIYnamic | DIYnamic
- "New York, New York" | Ponty Mython | Deep Love 100 | Dirt Crew
- "Emeralds" | Locked Groove | Realm of Consciousness | Afterlife
- "The Choice" | Redshape | Cocoon Compilation P | Cocoon
- "Miami Logic" | Metronomy | Summer 08 | Because Music
- "Psycho Hub" | Matthew Oh | Psycho Hub EP | Taped Artifact
- "Solitaire" | Quenum | Solitaire | Cadenza
- "Ivys Boogie" | Prins Emanuel | Permanent Vacation 4 | Permanent Vacation
we've been here
Guy LeBatard here, after a long absence, about which I can say I hope we didn't miss each other too much. In the fall, I somehow drifted once again into a semblance of "commitment" to a radio program at a certain time. So here I present the first such excursion. It certainly has the feel of a different time, one might say a "lost time," but nothing compared to the current "lost time." If that means anything.
Things are difficult south of the border, I know--you should (always) already know that you are welcome in my squat up north any time, that is, if you can find it. Or you can stay put and listen to this "podcast." Or you can listen while traveling. On this date I was obsessed, seemingly, with "Deep Love." It was a question in a bygone time: how deep is my love? As shallow or as deep as you like. It's not for me to say.
U_D_M playlist, 2016 November 6, 1700-1800:
- "Go (Loco Dice Mo' Strings Remix)" | Moby | Go (Loco Dice Remix) | Desolat
- "Act 2 / Dominas" | Carl Craig | More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art | SSR
- "Tori Karaage" | Detroit Swindle | Deep Love 100 | Dirt Crew
- "Boiling" | good guy mikesh | Deep Love 100 | Dirt Crew
- "Heaven & Earth - Part 1" | Paul Woolford | Heaven & Earth | Aus
- "Chemicality" | La Fleur | Cocoon Compilation P | Cocoon
- "Casino - Trev'dub" | Trevino | Casino | Aus
- "Ice Fractions 1B - Remix" | Silvershower | Ice Fractions 1 Remixes | Montage
- "Blvd." | Huerta | Deep Love 100 | Dirt Crew
Psycho Hub is right
Guy LeBatard "checking in." At long last, and after many boring pleas and threats, I am posting the most "recent" radio diversion in my series. I should say "my" series because it technically belongs to no one, but up to and including this time of writing I am the only one willing to drive this bus. THE HIGHER, THE FEWER. The question is, drive the bus where? And through what?
The answer is a hedonistic safespace existing within the dimension of audio, where "beats and stuff" liberate your consciousness from the prison of thought. And "through" meritorious programs such as The Slow Drift (which I replaced on this night), which invite the experience of actual art. BORING.
After a nine-month hiatus (so far) it may seem as though I am eulogizing the program, but there will be more opportunities for us to escape together.
U_D_M playlist, 2015 December 18, 1900-2000:
- "Too Many Circuses, Not Enough Freaks" | Kabale Und Liebe | Sammy Hoboken EP | Soweso
- "The Arpeggio" | Steve Bug | Simple, Thick & Raw | Poker Flat
- "I" | Folamour | Chapeau Rouge | Fauxpas
- "Lolita - Warehouse Mix" | Special Request | Soul Music | Houndstooth
- "Typeface / Greyscale - Vatican Shadow's The World Is Complete" | Akkord | HTH030 | Houndstooth
- "Constellation" | Rafael Cerato | Four to the Floor 01 | DIYnamic
- "Night Rider (feat. Undo)" | Metope | Black Beauty Remixes | Areal
Bonjour! Guy posting again, with a program that more or less fell in the forest without making a sound. It was spontaneous, what with Sarah, the usual host at this time, having thrown out her back or something like that. I am not one to squander a chance to exploit anyone's misfortune. So anxious was I to hear some beats--and who among us has not been there--I forgot to advertise my appearance on the radio, nearly forgot to record it, and then forgot where I stored the recording. All of that is resolved here, for better or for worse.
I see that I managed to play The Orb for a second consecutive outing, and I rue the oversight. We are indeed turning what was once an adventure into a reliable site of consumption.
U_D_M playlist, 2015 November 30, 2300-0000:
- "Love Walls" | Ted Alexander | XXX | Stem
- "Gaping Void" | Korablove | Gaping Void | High-Jack
- "What Matters" | Leibniz | What Matters | Fourth Wave
- "Mobius" | Traumer | Dedust | Desolat
- "Sugar High" | Steve Parker | Sugar High EP | Ovum
- "Alpha Bit" | Marc Houle | Cola Party | Items & Things
- "Distance" | Woo York | The Valley of Songs | Life and Death
- "Into the Fourth Dimension" | The Orb | The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld | WAU! Mr. Modo - Island
a freak in search of a circus
Guy, returning. Here is another program I did last October. Why take so long to post it, you ask? It is all dead time anyway, what is your hurry?
This broadcast came on the heels of another, four nights prior, if we must be exact. Lacking time to prepare, I engaged in a bit of nostalgia. It would embarrass me, if I had shame.
Additionally I was a bit distracted by all the hub-bub about the imminent Halloween observance, something I regard as a sanctioned, (therefore) woeful festival of escapism and gluttony of the worst kind (the indiscriminate kind). It seems to me the only thing to do is to play tricks instead of allowing oneself to be placated with "treats." No one ever seems to have anything interesting in mind. Had I a place to live, I would refuse to buy candy and tell each plastic-clad visitor, "I have nothing for you, so you will have to trick me." I suppose it's best for everyone that I don't settle down, preferring instead to drift.
U_D_M playlist, 2015 October 30, 1900-2000:
- "(I'm) In Deep (Featuring Mark E. Smith)" | Coldcut | What's That Noise? | Tommy Boy - Reprise
- "Blue Room" | The Orb | u.f.orb | Island Red Label
- "Freedom" | 400 Blows | The New Lords on the Block | Concrete Productions
- "No Government As a Way of Life" | Nicolette | No Government | Talkin' Loud
- "Re:Rise (Re:Search Mix)" | Chris & Cosey | Twist | T & B Vinyl
- "The End of It All 2015 Mix" | John Tejada | The End of It All 2015 Mix | Palette
- "God Says No to Tomorrow" | Timeshard | Planet Dog - Peel Your Head: The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit