This program finds us back in the usual Wednesday night slot, "our special time together." I was already somewhat tired from the night before--like I said, I am too old--but emotionally amped, at least, because I would be playing a cherished record, about which more below. The show begins, though, with an embarrassing gaffe as neither Andrea or I can force the second tune--which is playing--to make a sound. I should be better than this. Apologies to Ant Orange, whoever you are. Anyway, in the interest of full disclosure, I have edited some of that silence out.
But let's talk about what we do hear. Bourbonese Qualk is a rough listen, with skips and pops aplenty, but that record has been loved. Even a perfect copy would be decidedly "lo-fi" and have its dynamics all over the place, but I think that's what its creators wanted. Why is it so dear? I feel like the home recording puts it squarely in the category of "you too can do this," and indeed it sounds in places like things Mr. D and I were trying to do back in the day. I think that, too, is intentional. I remember listening to this record a lot during a six-week period one summer when I was unemployed (how quaint that it felt like an endless stretch at the time).
Anyway, regardless of those considerations, you could do a lot worse than "Pipe Dreams," and god knows many people have done worse.
BOMBAST playlist, 2018 May 16, 2100-2300:
- "Smallbig" | The Micronaut | Contrast | Freude am Tanzen
- "A Frozen Lake" | Ant Orange | Right There | Karaoke Kalk
- "Critical Path" | Abyss X | Pleasures of the Bull | Danse Noire
- "Saturn" | A Certain Ratio | I'd Like To See You Again [reissue] | Mute
- "Stand Above the Streams, Pt. 2B" | Jason Sharp | Stand Above the Streams | Constellation
- "Play" | Fritz Kalkbrenner | Drown | Different Spring
- "Skin Walker" | Insect Ark | Marrow Hymns | Profound Lore
- "Translucent" | Ismo Laakso | Ofelia | Sahko
- "Mean Street" / "Always There" | Bourbonese Qualk | Bourbonese Qualk | New International Recordings | "Physical Evidence"
- "LOD" | Hrtl | Sugarlump EP | Wolfskuil Limited
- "Magma" | Inigo Kennedy | Magma / Mantle | Token
- "Hypeway 101" | Duccio | Late Night Swing | Greta Cottage Workshop
- "Shock Corridor" | Bourbonese Qualk | Bourbonese Qualk | New International Recordings | "Physical Evidence"
- "Motorik" | Frank Bretschneider | Lunik | Shitkatapult
- "Prism" | C.A.R. | PINNED | Ransom Note
- "Dummy-Run" / "Unknown Trk" / "C2V" / "Obsession" | Bourbonese Qualk | Bourbonese Qualk | New International Recordings | "Physical Evidence"
- "Glory" | Liz Phair | Girly-Sound to Guyville | Matador
- "Blues at the Acropolis" | The Breeders | All Nerve | 4AD
- "The Dance" | The Skull Defekts | The Skull Defekts | Thrill Jockey
- "Zlota Skala Dub" | JANKA | Krzyzacy | U Know Me
- "Mora" | Answer Code Request | Gens | Ostgut Ton
- "Untitled" / "Black and Blues" / "Pipe Dreams" | Bourbonese Qualk | Bourbonese Qualk | New International Recordings | "Physical Evidence"
- "Kitsch Is the New Atonality" | Gosheven | The Harvest of a Quiet Eye | Opal Tapes
- "Colony" | Ian Boddy / Erik Wollo | Meridian | DiN
- "Mantodea vs. Furcifer Pardalis" | Sign Libra | Closer to the Equator | Antinote
- "Illusion" | Pure Confusion | Fuzzy Feelings Collection | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Mr. Bikinis" | MIS+RESS | S/T | Somewherecold
- "Nothing New to Trash Like You" | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Don't Get Lost | A Records
my unlimited love to y'all