We'll call this the "phantom limb" show, because that is how I described what I was feeling to a couple of colleagues at the station Wednesday night. Having suddenly--suddenly in public, anyway--shed a lot of my station responsibilities last week, I was still struggling with the psychological adjustment (what else is new?). It was a pretty good show, except for the parts that weren't.
Here's what I mean: sometime in the second hour I was reading my email, and got mentally invested in some conversation about station infrastructure that--you know what?--I no longer have a say in, and also one in which I no longer have a need to convince myself that anyone's listening. I've been doing that sort of thing all week, fortunately--you might say "wisely," or you might not--staying out of things. But at this moment I kind of lost track of the music, which was my reason for being here. Anyway, I'll let you find those special moments. Elsewhere, I find myself dropping personal pronouns, a la the artist formerly known as Walter Kovacs. It was a weird night.
I would promise to do better next time, but we both know what that promise is worth. Let's agree to just grit our teeth and power through. Thanks, as always, for your endurance.
BOMBAST playlist, 2015 June 24, 2100-2300:
- "Tell Me When It's Over" | The Dream Syndicate | The Days of Wine and Roses | Omnivore
- "Fluid Cloak" | Helm | Olympic Mess | PAN
- "God-Box" | The Fall | The Wonderful and Frightening Escape Route To... | Beggars Banquet
- "Say" | The Henchmen | Last of the Garage Punk Unknowns, Vol. 4 | Crypt | "Physical Evidence"
- "Fast Ka" | A.R.Kane | "i" | Rough Trade
- "Silent Running" | OMD | Dazzle Ships | Virgin - Telegraph
- "Samurai Thunder" | Gerry Read | Samurai Thunder | Hoss'd
- "I Don't Want To" | La Casa al Mare | This Astro | Bandcamp self-release
- "Four Inches Above The Knees" | The Blue Vistas | Last of the Garage Punk Unknowns, Vol. 4 | Crypt | "Physical Evidence"
- "The Gloom" / "Lovelight" | Bnjmn | Air Texture, Vol. IV | Air Texture
- "Twenty Four Hour Dawn" | Blind Idiot God | Before Ever After | Indivisible
- "Checkmate" | The Cavaliers | Last of the Garage Punk Unknowns, Vol. 4 | Crypt | "Physical Evidence"
- "Medicated Yoga" | Lifted | 1 | PAN
- "D.U.B." | UB40 | Geffery Morgan | A & M
- "Transformation" | Valet | Nature | kranky
- "Only As Long As You Want It" | The Ryells Combo | Last of the Garage Punk Unknowns, Vol. 4 | Crypt | "Physical Evidence"
- "Siran Fen" | Bassekou Kouyate + Ngoni Ba | Ba Power | Glitterbeat
- "Genesis" | Hunter/Game | Genesis | Just This
- "Side B" | Natural Magic | Natural Magic | Boomarm Nation
- "My Baby Doesn't Love Me Anymore" | The Couriers | Last of the Garage Punk Unknowns, Vol. 4 | Crypt | "Physical Evidence"
- "Evergreen" | The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Tepid Peppermint Wonderland Volume 2 | A Recordings
- "Leaving You" | The Last Image | Last of the Garage Punk Unknowns, Vol. 4 | Crypt | "Physical Evidence"
- "Lunar Caves" | The Orb | Moonbuilding 2073 AD | Kompakt
- "Le soleil est pre de moi" | Air | Premiers Symptomes | Rhino
- "White Sands Pt. 2" | The Fabulous Three | The Best of the Fabulous Three | Truth & Soul
next time: i plan to be in the present. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis