For months I left my page-a-day calendar on March 10, 2020. At first it was genuine shock and refusal. I probably thought in the beginning that it would just be a few weeks. After a while it was a more self-conscious, pretentious gesture, my own Hiroshima clock. God knows what I must have been thinking on the day after society stopped, but this program is a real "twilight" show, the first dispatch from the new world in which we found ourselves, and the final example of the "old way" of doing things.
In a real example of not appreciating what you have while you still have it, I sat in the Kenny Ritter Memorial Studio for the last time, mostly pushing buttons to play music I didn't care much about. "I don’t understand why I play things like Snow Ghosts," my notes say. I must have heard it weeks before and not hated it, which is about as much positivity as I could muster. I don't even like "quiet rituals." I want loud ones. The segues, early on at least, were abysmal; what even was the concept?
To the extent that I mention events in this program, I shouldn't have, because I couldn't be sure they were going to happen, and I'm almost positive that they didn't.
Since this program was broadcast, 411 days ago now, I've gone "on the air" 55 times. I have delivered 54 pre-recorded episodes on account of the pandemic. The future is here. We're soaking in it.
BOMBAST playlist, 2020 March 11, 2100-2300:
- "Ajoyio" | Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey & His International Brothers | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Super Mario Bros. X" | Potted Plant | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Polygraph Test" | The Guy Hamper Trio | Punk Rock ist nicht tot | Damaged Goods
- "Lovesong" | Lost Tapes with Haunted Magic | Disintegration Revisited | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "Lady Bird" | Nancy & Lee | Nancy & Lee | Reprise | "The Listening Parlour"
- "Inside The Waves (Radio Edit)" | AICRXG | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Upsy-Daisy" | The Black Watch | Magic Johnson | ATOM
- "Tutorial para besar a una mujer" | Aura en el espejo | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Bisi's Beat" | Soki Ohale's Uzzi | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "Whole hole explorer" | elAstrum | Freqmod | Kahvi Collective
- "Surrender" | Snow Ghosts | A Quiet Ritual | Houndstooth
- "Onyame" | Ashanti Afrika Jah | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "She Said" | Karl Hund | Karl Hund | Violette
- "Flesh & Blood" | Beto | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Fire" | The Jimi Hendrix Experience | BBC Sessions [reissue] | Jimi Hendrix Vinyl Collection / Legacy / Sony
- "Vuelve" | Xaman Ek | New Era : 2020 | Virtual Soundsystem
- "Strawberry Wolf" | Wild Yaks | Great Admirer | Ernest Jenning Record Co.
- "Pas Mal" | The Young Gods | L'Eau Rouge / Red Water [reissue] | [PIAS] Le Label
- "Novelty" | Peel Dream Magazine | Up and Up | Tough Love
- "Gobonimada Jira (Choose Freedom)" | Bakaka Band | Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1972-1991) | Analog Africa
- "Kellin It (feat. Han Litz & Trujillo)" | Inkswel | The Sound | Apparel Tonic
- "Inkling" | Coil | Stolen & Contaminated Songs | Cold Spring
- "Agboju Logun" | Shina Williams & His African Percussionists | Nigeria 70: Box Set | Strut
- "The Painter" | Levente | Shepherd Drift | Kahvi Collective
- "Baayo (Hey Woman)" | Mukhtar Ramadan Idii | Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1972-1991) | Analog Africa
- "The Secret of Your Grace" | Margaret | Come On Feel The NoiZe, Vol. 5 - Amour pour la France | The Blog That Celebrates Itself
- "She healed him in her sleep" | XVARR | Echoes of Time | Good Morning Tapes
Progress gives way to a fiction