This theatre company I was involved with in high school used to have solstice parties, before it was cool. I remember these fondly. They and those people were more fun than Christmas. It is always good to do radio around this time of year, although I am trying as best I can to jettison nostalgia, among other things.
I hope your weekend was nice. Mine was terrible. I did this radio show in a mood one should never be in. Which is to say that this program is VERY FOCUSED and AWESOME. Here and there are some segues that don't quite work (I'm looking at you, Nick Cave) but I plow through them without a flinch, blink, or regret.
Do records ever take the place of people for you, either by choice or by accident? Yes, me too. There are a couple of these on this program. Here's to real friends, sentient and otherwise!
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 21, 1400-1600:
- "(Ride On) Iron Horse (instrumental)" | The Marlboro Men | (Ride On) Iron Horse | Funk45
- "Turn Yer Head Around" | The Children | Ghost Lights | Division 68
- "Long Black Veil" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Kicking Against The Pricks [reissue] | Mute
- "Nail Biting" | Raspberry Bulbs | Privacy | Blackest Ever Black
- "I Found That Essence Rare" | Gang Of Four | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Euphoria" | Egokind & Ozean | Transition | Traum
- "I Found That Essence Rare" | Band of Susans | Peel Sessions | Dutch East India Trading
- "Latin Soul" | The Sentinals | Big Surf! | Rumble
- "Raining Dub" | Blind Idiot God | Blind Idiot God | SST
- "Flight" | A Certain Ratio | The Old & The New | Factory
- "Old Age Killed My Teenage Bride" | Half Man Half Biscuit | Urge For Offal | Probe Plus
- "Bejeweled Body" | Function & Vatican Shadow | Games Have Rules | Hospital Productions
- "At Home He's A Tourist" | Gang Of Four | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Jesus Christ" | Big Star | Live In Memphis | Omnivore
- "Shudder / King Of Snake" | Underworld | Beaucoup Fish | Universal [Japan]
- "Itous Dubwise (Tamikrest)" | Dennis Bovell | Glitterbeat: Dubs & Versions I | Glitterbeat
- "Static Kings" | Fennesz | Becs | Editions Mego
- "Need A Job" | Vaudou Game | Apiafo | Hot Casa
- "I Found That Essence Rare (BBC Radio 1 Evening Show Session - 20 April 1986)" | The Wedding Present | Tommy | Edsel
- "Dovetail" | Call Super | Suzi Ecto | Houndstooth
- "5.45" | Gang Of Four | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Krystal" | Haunted By Hallucinations | Haunted By Hallucinations | Herakles
- "Trmbns" | Future 3 | With & Without | Morr
- "Canoe Trip / Skyclad" | Ultramarine | Every Man And Woman Is A Star | Rough Trade
- "We Were Not Told" | Ngozi Family | Day of Judgement | Now-Again
- "What Is This False Life You're Leading" | Wild Billy Childish & CTMF | Acorn Man | Damaged Goods
- "Oui verckys" | Verckys & L'Orchestre Veve | Verckys & L'Orchestre Veve (Congolese Funk, Afrobeat & Psychedelic Rumba 1969-1978) | Analog Africa
- "Return The Gift" | Gang Of Four | The Peel Sessions | Strange Fruit | "Physical Evidence"
- "Hi Scores" | Boards of Canada | Hi Scores | Skam
next time: a topical new feature, as a Festivus gift. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Halcyon, checking in, as I have been summoned. I must have been feeling weak when this program happened, because I caved in to the demands of the schedule. Clearly, my mind was on the sea, and why not? There is no poetry in lakes or creeks.
To address the present: it seems as though my services are no longer required at WRFI, which is probably to our mutual benefit. There will be one more program, for certain, and then after that, who knows? From time to time I will gradually complete the archive with posts like this one, but for now this is an actual departure. Find me on Naked Island, perhaps?
CRUISING ALTITUDE playlist, 2014 August 22, 1900-2000:
- "Daybreak Comes Soon" | Rafael Anton Irisarri | The Unintentional Sea | Room40
- "Back to the Sea" | Mark Barrott | Sketches From An Island | International Feel
- "Credit Line" | Oval | Voa | EOVA
- "Fracture Fuss" | Moebius, Story, and Leidecker | Snowghost Pieces | Bureau B
- "Balkanize You" | Tim Hecker | Mirages | Sunblind
- "Sur La Mer Avec Mon Ami" | Petar Dundov | Sailing Off The Grid | Music Man / N.E.W.S.
- "Play It As It Lays" | Naked Island | Naked Island | Peak Oil
Dear internet friends, here is a program you haven't yet heard, unless you were waiting patiently online for our stream to wake up (and why not?), which it did about 15 minutes from the end of the program. This one really felt like the old days, an EXCLUSIVE local-only broadcast. I'm trying to make lemonade out of this.
The Joy Division recording captured on the Preston record is wonderfully ragged, which is how I like my JD--sounding like a rock band. As a teen I was infatuated with New Order. A friend gave me a copy of Still, telling me, "if you like New Order then you need to hear this." Or something like that. Anyway, I was failing to see the point. There wasn't an "Age of Consent" to be found here, or a "Dreams Never End," "Love Vigilantes," "Elegia"...much less a "Blue Monday." What was the big deal? Then I put the second record on--better. It was "Disorder" that flicked the switch. I was actually disappointed to hear the Unknown Pleasures version, and I totally "get" the band's lukewarm feelings about the Martin Hannett records. Origin stories--what are they? Anyway, hopefully soon we'll get to some stuff on Side 1 of Preston, which is even more messed-up and even more perfect.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 16, 2100-2300:
- "Yeman" | Kloke | First Light | Sub Squared
- "Prologue" / "Big Bang Reincarnation" / "Searching for Signs of Life" / "Blue Mist" / "The Cavern" / "Transformation (Pt. 1)" | The Heliocentrics & Melvin Van Peebles | The Last Transmission | Now-Again
- "Sanza tristesse" | Francis Bebey | Psychedelic Sanza | Born Bad
- "Intoxico" | The Sentinals | Big Surf! | Rumble
- "Children With Feet Of Giants (Solitude)" | Warsnare | Endgame | Seclusiasis
- "Getting Nowhere Fast" | Girls At Our Best! | Pleasure | Optic Nerve
- "A Glorious Fall (TOTALMESS Remix)" | Caiman Philippines | A Glorious Fall / Sperne EP | Caiman Philippines
- "Voel" | Brian Harris | Behind the Mask | not on label
- "Matinda Comono" | Verckys & L'Orchestre Veve | Verckys & L'Orchestre Veve (Congolese Funk, Afrobeat & Psychedelic Rumba 1969-1978) | Analog Africa
- "Refugee" | Moonpunk | not on album | Soundcloud self-release
- "Never Walk Away" | Maya Jane Coles & GAPS | In Dark, In Day | I/AM/ME
- "I'm Doubtful Of Your Love" | Benny Joy | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "s950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix)" | Aphex Twin | Syro | WARP
- "Watchin' Out" | The Split Decision Band | Watchin' Out | Now-Again
- "Getting Nowhere Fast" | The Wedding Present | George Best [reissue] | Edsel
- "Janus" | Nachtbraker | Janus | Dirt Crew
- "002" | HWLS | HWLS | Future Classic
- "It's So Hard To Be Happy" | Wild Billy Childish & CTFM | Acorn Man | Damanged Goods
- "Shadowplay" / "Transmission" / "Disorder" / "Warsaw" / "Colony" / "Interzone" / "She's Lost Control" | Joy Division | Preston 28 February 1980 | Drastic Plastic | "Physical Evidence"
- "AB/7A" | Throbbing Gristle | Throbbing Gristle's Greatest Hits | Industrial
- "Take A Chance On Me" | ABBA | The Definitive Collection | Polar - UTV | "Listening Parlour"
- "Tableau II" | Valentin Stip | Sigh | Other People
- "Epilogue" | Proxima | Alpha | Tempa
next time: depends on when. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Bonjour. LeBatard here, in the frozen north. Four months ago I produced this radio program, right here. Goodness knows what I was thinking on this hot August night. But I can guarantee that I was not thinking about a drifter that I had killed just for fun.
For my part, I do drift, mostly. Predominantly, I just drift. I don't know what else one is to do in these times, except perhaps read tedious blog posts. I hope you are at least reading this on a mobile, as part of some adventure. At any rate, If I had to nail down some kind of "theme" or "connecting thread" to this episode, I suppose it would be "the mind," but Kid Catharsis tells me these things have to happen in threes, so no dice. You're on your own, as always.
U_D_M playlist, 2014 August 15, 1900-2000:
- "Oceans - Mirror People Remix" | Jesse Oliver | Discotexas Picnic II | Discotexas
- "Anatomy - North Lake Remix" | DJ Tennis | Local | Life And Death
- "Waves of Grain" | Amber | Waves of Grain | mobilee
- "A Tale of Two Lovers - Dub Mix" | Eelke Klein | Lovely Sweet Divine / A Tale of Two Lovers | Eskimo
- "Through My Mind" | Panthera Krause | Laika | Riotvan
- "Schnuppe" | Mathias Schaffhauser | Angular (Remixed) | Mo's Ferry
- "Awe Baby" | Kon | On My Way | BBE
- "Delivery" | Cleric | Delivery | Coincidence
- "Something From My Mind" | Echonomist | Blowback | Rotary Cocktail
we used to.
Every time I say I need to slow down on the fill-in programs, along comes another fill-in program. This happened on a Thursday night that was cold enough to keep our snow pack intact, and on which Joe of "Joe Show" fame was out of town. I'm not really expected to turn up my nose at prime time, am I?
Listening back to the previous program, it doesn't seem as aggressive as I let on. This one, however, is full of rock. "This black person likes his rock and roll," I was telling a friend earlier in the evening. And I do, damn it. A good chunk of Flow, in a previous life, served as the soundtrack for a brilliant play, written by a dear friend, on which Lady C and I worked. It perfectly captures fraternal love, memory, disconnection, vast, stupid deserts, and "slow cars and sudden death," as a Legend once said.
I am still prone to playing 15 minutes of drifting synths, as I do halfway through this program. But when else am I going to thank seemingly every benefactor the station has in a single voice-over? I am thankful. As I was telling said friend, this radio thing came along when I needed something to come along, and I still need it.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 11, 1900-2100:
- "Midnight Caller" | The Sex Rays | Midnight Caller 7" | Pinata
- "American Eagle" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Waiting Room" | Fugazi | First Demo | Dischord
- "Say Goodbye To The Little Girl Tree" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | The Firstborn Is Dead | Mute
- "Blue Boot Journal" | The Children | Ghost Lights | Division 68
- "Smoke" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Belladonna Theme" | Cut Hands | Festival Of The Dead | Blackest Ever Black
- "Knife Slits Water" | A Certain Ratio | Sextet | Factory Benelux
- "Little Blue Dance" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Nobody's City" | The Gun Club | Mother Juno | Bang!
- "Tiger's Skip" | Tony Allen | Film Of Life | Harmonia Mundi - Jazz Village
- "Mopping Up" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Westward Ho! Massive Letdown" | Half Man Half Biscuit | Urge For Offal | Probe Plus
- "Things Known / Things Unknown" | Function & Vatican Shadow | Games Have Rules | Hospital Productions
- "The Devil Bush" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Reciprocal Tensions and Polarized Components" | His Name Is Alive | Tecuciztecatl | Light In The Attic
- "Beholding The Throne Of Might" | Soft Pink Truth | Why Do The Heathen Rage? | Thrill Jockey
- "Do The Dub Version" | Lee "Scratch" Perry | Back On The Controls | Rolling Lion - Upsetter
- "Curb Your Ego" | Ulli Bomans | Riven | Shitkatapult
- "Aero" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Day to...(Out)" | You Still Have Friends | Close EP | Transition
- "Recovery" | Rival Consoles | Sonne | Erased Tapes
- "Signal" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "Velvet Valley | The Primitives | Spin-O-Rama | Elefant
- "Dust In The Light" | Gallon Drunk | Dust In The Light | Clouds Hill
- "Breach of Promise" | Pell Mell | Flow | SST | "Physical Evidence"
- "We Float Around (And Hang Out On Clouds)" | Egokind & Ozean | Transition | Traum
- "Theme From A Summer Place" | Los Straitjackets | Deke Dickerson Sings The Great Instrumental Hits | Yep Rock
next time: having a fine time living in the night. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
On the night of this particular show, everyone in the area (seemingly) was flipping out over a weather forecast. A civilization-ending storm had appeared out of nowhere (because that's what they do) and we all needed to cancel all outings. Apparently. I need hardly say that none of the warnings came true, that it barely drizzled, and that this program proceeded as it would have anyway, and it was great, even if I am the one saying so.
Commentary--there are some expensive releases out there these days. That Destroy All Monsters box is, like, $80 or so for a mere 3 records. I get that it's from Spain and all but damn, what good is a dysfunctional economy with millions of unemployed people if the rest of us can't get stuff for cheap? I mean, right? Also, can we stop calling things "limited?" What isn't?
Also also: I have the opposite of seasonal affect disorder. Cold and snow make me really happy, so get ready for some unfocused and terrible shows!
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 9, 2100-2300:
- "Bored" | Destroy All Monsters | Hot Box 1974-1994 | Munster
- "I" | Design A Wave | International Journey of Synthetic Emotion | Alien Jams
- "Ruh" | Automat | Bootleg | Bureau B | "Physical Evidence"
- "Quiet Pillage" | 23 Skidoo | Seven Songs | Ronin
- "Schlaggefahr" | Nagamatzu | Neural Interval | Zoharum
- "Where The Rio De La Rosa Flows" | Jimmy Lloyd | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "001-B" | Gulls Rhythm Force | Live | Boomarm Nation
- "In Turmoil" | Joel Hood | Gone | International Feel
- "(Ride On) Iron Horse" | The Marlboro Men | (Ride On) Iron Horse | Funk45
- "Whatever" | Miss Kenichi | The Trail | Sinnbus
- "Hey Jude" | Assagai | Assagai | Prog Temple
- "Endless Caverns" | Steve Moore | Pangaea Ultima | Spectrum Spools
- "I Believe" | Lee "Scratch" Perry | Back On The Controls | Rolling Lion - Upsetter
- "3 Chords" | Rival Consoles | Sonne | Erased Tapes
- "Inlightenment" | Cut Hands | Festival Of The Dead | Blackest Ever Black
- "Quiet Village" | Martin Denny | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "Erdol" | Schneider TM | Bootleg | Bureau B | "Physical Evidence"
- "Around Me - My Favorite Robot Remix" | Abstraxion | I Can't | Hakt
- "She's The One That's Got It" | Allen Page | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "Mind Your Own Business" | Hank Williams | 24 of Hank Williams' Greatest Hits | Polydor | "Listening Parlour"
- "Diptych" | Lowcommittee | Race At Neon Club | Vlek
- "Folk Fuck" | Lost Girls | Lost Girls | 3 Loop
- "Q1.2" | Basic Channel | Q-Loop | Basic Channel
- "Happiness" | Vaudou Game | Apiafo | Hot Casa
- "Useless Stop Motion" | Herva | Instant Broadcast | Delsin
- "Chlor" | Schneider TM | Bootleg | Bureau B | "Physical Evidence"
- "Azure" | BNJMN | Coil | Delsin
- "The Train Kept A-Rollin" | Johnny Burnette & The Rock 'N' Roll Trio | Tav Falco's Wild & Exotic World Of Musical Obscurities | Stag-O-Lee
- "Wasserfall" | Superconnection | Wasserfall | m=minimal
next time: bring on the china! Enjoy the music. --kid catharsis
With a mixture of happiness and malaise I present to you what turned out to be an excellent program, which I am pretty sure only I have heard. Occupying the "Test Pattern" time slot straddling the midnight hour last Friday, I observed Krampusnacht and the
faste feast of St. Nicholas Peter. Doing radio on holy days used to be something that fueled my soul. Now? I don't know, and I'm scared that I don't know.
This recovering altar boy (it's not what you think) used to love doing radio during Advent, and especially on December 24. I think I managed to do the latter every single year, back at the old radio station. Granted, I wasn't doing it after midnight, so that might be a thing, but still I feel like I am chasing thrills that aren't coming back. I feel like a character in a Hallmark Christmas movie, jaded, needing to believe, needing a seasonal miracle.
Wouldn't it be great if Krampus were real? I feel like that myth is the direct negative of the Santa Claus idea. On the 25th, you wake up to find your stocking full--he does exist! On the morning of December 6, however, you wake up to find that all the world's worst people are still here--he doesn't exist. I find the whole thing very rude.
No time to dwell on it. Those thrills aren't getting any closer.
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 5 2300-0100 December 6:
- "Bad Mouth" | Fugazi | First Demo | Dischord
- "Portrait Of A Sorry Man" | Peter Buck | Opium Drivel | Mississippi / Change | "Physical Evidence"
- "Cada Dia Te Quiero Mas" | Ana Helder | Fiebre de Marte | Comeme
- "HMix" | Lee Gamble | Koch | PAN
- "Drown With Me" | Peter Buck | Opium Drivel | Mississippi / Change | "Physical Evidence"
- "Signature - feat. Anja T. Lahrmann" | Future 3 | With & Without | Morr
- "Ata Calling" | Vaudou Game | Apiafo | Hot Casa
- "Ghetto Of Eden" | King Champion Sounds | Songs For The Golden Hour | Louder Than War
- "Valediction" | Ides of Gemini | Old World New Wave | Sige
- "Our Love (Daphni Mix)" | Caribou | Our Love (Daphni Mix) | Merge
- "If This Is Love Can I Have My Money Back?" | Peter Buck | Opium Drivel | Mississippi / Change | "Physical Evidence"
- "Macaques" | The Heuremics | Whe Reisa Zat | not on label (self-released)
- "Merdona" | Margot | Prins Thomas Diskomiks Selection | Internasjonal
- "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Kicking Against The Pricks [reissue] | Mute
- "Laguna" | Fennesz | Venice | Touch
- "Pale Spectre - 7" edit" | The Wake | Testament (Best Of) | Factory Benelux
- "wish" | Felicita | Frenemies | Gum
- "Agar" | Mattson 2 | Agar | Um Yeah Arts
- "Skipscada" | A Certain Ratio | Sextet | Factory Benelux
- "Whirling" | Tom Dissevelt & Kid Baltan | The Fascinating World Of Electronic Music | Sonitron
- "Chemical Playschool 16 Part 1" | The Legendary Pink Dots | Chemical Playschool Volumes 16 & 18 | self-released
- "How To Pronounce Tecuciztecatl" | His Name Is Alive | not on album | Soundcloud self-release
- "Welcome To The Party" | Peter Buck | Opium Drivel | Mississippi / Change | "Physical Evidence"
- "SE" | Call Super | Suzi Ecto | Houndstooth
- "You Can Count On Me" | Los Straitjackets | Deke Dickerson Sings The Great Instrumental Hits | Yep Rock
- "For The Feel" | Bleached | For The Feel | Dead Oceans
- "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" | Isaac Hayes | Greatest Hits | Stax
next time: scratches and dust. Enjoy the music! --kid catharsis
Halcyon here, still chronicling the summer. I see that six weeks had passed between my previous flight and this one. It is reassuring that I refused to conform to the schedule I was assigned. No one can miss me if I don't go away.
It looks like I borrowed some of Kid Catharsis's records for this particular program. I see a lot of things on this playlist that I had been meaning to spin, at some point, but did not get to until this particular departure. "Liquid Light Forms," indeed. They are in my line of vision all the time.
CRUISING ALTITUDE playlist, 2014 August 8, 1900-2000:
- "M'Bondo" | Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe | Timon Irnok Manta | Type Vinyl
- "Heroic" | Oval | Voa | EOVA
- "Straβenlanterne" | Takeshi Nishimoto | Lavandula | Sonic Pieces
- "Prism Buzzard" | Edvard Graham Lewis | All Over | Editions Mego
- "Labrum" | Sean Pineiro | Saved Once Twice | KI
- "Mille Viviers" | Opera Mort | Dedales | Alter
- "Popol Vuh III" | Flying Saucer Attack | Chorus | Drag City
- "Hoosick" | Koen Holtcamp | Liquid Light Forms | Barge
- "Vapourware 05" | Donato Dozzy | Plays Bee Mask | Spectrum Spools
unusual interest in terrain.
This program marks a return to Tuesday evening normalcy, which also means a return to the world of mistakes. I'd suggested a few weeks ago that anger gave me a focus, and I was not feeling that way on this particular night. The snow was falling, and I was full of holiday cheer, if you know what I mean. I'd met up with an old friend from a previous life, and despite the fact that she thinks there are child-labor violations in my use of Junior as voice-over talent (AS IF THE GIRL DOESN'T GET PAID IN CANDY AND PANCAKES), a good time was had.
Nevertheless it's rough going at times. In my defense, I think, looking back, that it was mostly the machines' fault. The CD player only wanted to play about a minute and a half of Los Straitjackets, for some reason, and the turntable needed forcing to yield a Mutabaruka song. Oh yes, on the subject of friends--it was an old comrade, Ben, who introduced me both to Mutabaruka and Augustus Pablo one "winter" evening--probably at a solstice party or something. Precious memories!
BOMBAST playlist, 2014 December 2, 2100-2300:
- "Misirlou" | Agent Orange | Bitchin' Summer | Posh Boy
- "Happy Idiot" | TV On The Radio | Seeds | Harvest
- "Hard Time Loving" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
- "Superstar-Watcher" | Yo La Tengo | Extra Painful | Matador
- "Miserlou" | Los Straitjackets | Deke Dickerson Sings The Great Instrumental Hits | Yep Rock
- "De System" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
- "Can't Stand It (feat. Warrior Queen)" | Mungo's Hi Fi | Serious Time | Scotch Bonnet
- "Teenage Exorcists" | Mogwai | Music Industry 3. Fitness Industry 1. | Rock Action
- "Give Us A Kiss" | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Give Us A Kiss | Bad Seed Ltd
- "King Kong" | Tom Waits | Orphans | ANTI- | "Listening Parlour"
- "Every Time A Ear De Soun'" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
- "when you get home" | Felicita | Frenemies | Gum
- "Roehre" | Camera | Remember I Was Carbon Dioxide | Bureau B
- "Gaping Void - ANTI Remix" | Korablove | Gaping Void | High-Jack
- "Winter Wonderland (Xmas Remix 2014)" | The National Jazz Trio Of Scotland | not on album (Soundcloud release) | Karaoke Kalk
- "Butta Pan Kulcha" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
- "Procession" | New Order | 1981-Factus 8R-1982 | Warner
- "Juvis Priestly" | Sloath | Deep Mountain | Riot Season
- "Check It" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
- "Schneid Ein Stuck Aus Der Zeit" | Schlammpeitziger | What's Fruit? Remixes | Pingipung
- "Mechanical Turk (Courtesy of Karpov not Kasparov)" | Mehmet Aslan | Mechanical Turk | Huntleys + Palmers
- "El Pirata" | Tarkus | Tarkus | Vinilisssimo
- "Avarice" | Throwing Snow | Avarice | Houndstooth
- "Dead (Peel Session)" | Pixies | Doolittle 25 | 4AD
- "Avion Central" | Mark E | Avion | Spectral Sound
- "Whey Mi Belang?" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
- "Machine Conspiracy" | Conforce | Machine Conspiracy | Delsin
- "In/Flux" | DJ Shadow | Preemptive Strike | FFRR
- "Naw Give Up" | Mutabaruka | Check It! | Alligator | "Physical Evidence"
next time: Krampusnacht! Enjoy the music. --kid catharsis
Halcyon here. What a crazy six months it has been. I have been doing radio all too often, and too regularly. I should be singing as the birds do, but these "volunteer" situations have a way of roping you in.
Anyway, this program was the first time I had guests in the cockpit proper. They seemed to enjoy themselves. For my part, I improvised more than perhaps I should have, and that always seems to mean living in the past.
I hope this warm-weather program brings cheer to you in this cold-weather season. May all your dreams be "of the inmost light!"
CRUISING ALTITUDE playlist, 2014 June 27, 1900-2000:
- "Rhodes Viola Multiple" | Keith Fullerton Whitman | Antithesis | kranky
- "Critique of the Beautiful" | Steve Hauschildt | S/H | Editions Mego
- "Sediment" | Oval | Voa | EOVA
- "Lesser Than The Sum Of Its Parts" | Rafael Anton Irisarri | The Unintentional Sea | Room40
- "Premonition 34" | The Legendary Pink Dots | The Creature that Tasted Sound | self-released
- "Black & White Jesus" | Biting Tongues | Compressor | Factory
- "Moments of Being (Reprise)" | Dr. Calculus | Designer Beatnik | 10
- "A Dream Of TheInmostLight (For Christoph Heemann)" | Current 93 | Foxtrot | Chalice